Blood Red Fire Shrimp

. . .

CORALS

Bunch of Zoas

Goniopora

Pulsing Xenia

. . .

16 JULY 2o12

Got this thing up and running, barely. Step one is getting a decent return pump. CL conveniently shipped the tank with the smaller pump that they usually ship with the 4g setup. There's so little water movement the water in the filter is stagnant with a bunch of silt from the sand settled on top. I ordered an MJ900 from inTank so we'll see how that works out.

I'm definitely going to have to do the air tube mod to the 'instant access' filter system. There's absolutely no seal.

I don't really know where we're going with this tank, my kid wants to fill it with crabs and the wife wants to pick the coral for it. I'm not quite sure what the stock LEDs will support coral wise so only time will tell I guess.

Added a CUC today from ReefCleaners.

I don't know if it's do to the CUC, poor filtration, or poor design but the tank has become pretty damn cloudy.

I can't express enough how disappointed I am with the AIO quality of this tank. I upgraded the useless (5o GPH) stock pump to an MJ9oo which was way too powerful and now an MJ6oo with a Spin Stream and it still sucks up sand from below the alleged false wall.

Equally as annoying is the fact that there's nothing sealing the three rear chambers so the water obviously seeps through the cracks following the path of least resistance. I tried to tighten things up with some air line hose but it barely helped.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Hey, I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but you should reconsider the sally lightfoot crab. They are among tge worst candidates for anything other then a sump lol. They are extremely fast and very ferocious. Maybe try a porcelain crab? Very peaceful and very cool!

Btw, I had a lightfoot before and it was a nightmare up until the very last day my tank was up lol.

• 2 weeks later...

o4 August 2o12

Broke down the tank tonight, I just couldn't stand how the OEM filtration filter simply did not work. I picked up some (half cured) silicone from Petco and permanently sealed the "instant access" false wall as best I could. Made one hell of a mess but I'm sure it will work a lot better in the end.

All my inhabitants now reside in an orange bucket from HD, should I post an updated FTS?

Hey, I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but you should reconsider the sally lightfoot crab. They are among tge worst candidates for anything other then a sump lol. They are extremely fast and very ferocious. Maybe try a porcelain crab? Very peaceful and very cool!

Btw, I had a lightfoot before and it was a nightmare up until the very last day my tank was up lol.

I guess the tank took care of it on it's own, Sally was no where to be found. Don't know who could have got the best of him though?

o9 August 2o12

Picked up a Purple Fire Fish and A Blood Red Fire shrimp today.

Poor fish spazzed out the whole ride home. His fins are pretty effed. Hopefully he perseveres.

o9 August 2o12

Son of a !@#$% got home tonight & the fire shrimp was dead - at least I don't have to worry about the hermits eating. That's some expensive food though.

What can be done about my fire fish? He doesn't seem to be doing very well at all. His fins are all beat up and he just mopes in the corner. I'm hoping my clown doesn't kick his ass just because it can.

I'll have to take some photos in the AM.

11 August 2o12

Hard to believe a couple of hermits & snails can devour an entire fish but the Fire Fish has passed, we looked everywhere and he is determined to be KIA. My kid was pretty bummed about his fish and shrimp dieing so we moved a few corals over from my 16g. Added some Zoas, Pulsing Xenia & Goniopora.

FTS

SCC081112.jpg

Archived