Coral Vue Hydros

Wilioli's 40g Breeder

Wilioli

Finally started this tank up after the move... Thanks to everyone for the help over the past few months with advice, etc.. Got a stand, got some lights in it -- gonna upgrade soon I think -- it worked for the previous owner tho, so I'll hold off... Got my Aquaclear right now clearing the water with some filter floss, and transferred my 10g into this tank. I know a lot of you warned against this. But I figured I'd give it a shot.

Lighting:

-18 led Reefbrites

-2 t5 daylights with giesmann aquablue+ 

Livestock:

- 2 yellow gobies

- 1 tailspot blenny

- 2 black and white clownfish

- 1 bangaii cardinal

Equipment/Filtration

- reef octopus bh1000 hob skimmer

- Aquaclear 110

- mp10

- 2 heaters (100watt and 50 watt I believe)

- ~45lbs mixed fiji rock/haitian rock/florida base rock

August 26th, 2012 ~3month

3month.jpg

Fiddling with the white balance on my phone -- couldn't do it.. not the greatest pic...

IMAG0288.jpg

Aquaclear with the filter floss -- sponge from the previous tank, and these 'bio balls' that came with it

IMAG0290.jpg

Side shot was the only way I could get a clearer pic!

IMAG0293.jpg

Really really good job on the scape it looks awesome! Keep the updates coming.

Thanks!

Should be getting the reefoctopus bh1000 in the next day or so -- just gotta get off work early enough to get it at the lfs... lol

The three fish are doing great -- was a bit worried they would not adjust or the tank wouldn't be stable -- so far so good... -- The tailspot blenny loves the new tank -- loves the rockwork and is swimming all through the crevices and cracks. The two yellow gobies were a bit hesitant, and were under some rocks -- but I see them up higher now -- doing their normal upside down 'chillin' technique -- and eating like fiends.

• 3 weeks later...

Few updates:

- The tank is on those anti stress mats -- on carpet. It was wobbling a bit -- with a lot of force. But not enough to tip over at all. Just enough to get the water to make waves which would rock it a bit. I was a bit concerned about this (obviously!) and didn't know what to do. I shimmed the tank to be as level as can be -- its not perfect, but its improved. The problem (I think) are the anti stress mats. Anyways , its been a solid few weeks and the tank has settled more into the ground and is more stable. Still has a bit of a wobble. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and see whats up....

Got a new reef octpus hob bh1000 skimmer from aquavalley:

IMAG0304.jpg

still fine tuning it -- tons of micro bubbles that pretty much went away by 70% within 24 hours. Produced a very wet skimmate with a 'green tea' color to it.. lol -- so pulled the cup up more. Does anyone know how much water is supposed to be in the section where the water drains out to the tank? For me, its just 'barely' enough for it to go down the tube -- looks like a circular vortex of water going down -- like flushing the toilet!

Skimmer bubbles day 1:

IMAG0305.jpg

Bubbles day 2:

IMAG0312.jpg

Annd, got two clowns from aquavalley as well -- black and white ones -- we love them, great look and after a day were loving the tank and eating like fiends.

IMAG0311.jpg

1 month shot!:

IMAG0313.jpg

Nice clowns!

I think the next pair of clowns I will buy will be some B&W's

thanks! wasn't quite sure about them from the store -- but I like them!

Very nice start. You think that solo MP-10 will be enough flow for the whole tank?

thank you -- and I'm not quite sure yet... I've seen tanks thrive with sps and the sort with a solo mp10 -- I think a lot of it will have to do with coral placement. I have a few koralia's kicking around, and I think I might have to add one for sure -- not sure yet tho.. we'll have to wait and see. I have the ac110 thats adding flow, adn not sure what the skimmer adds to the mix... but it makes a difference for sure (the ac110)

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick update -- skimmate is getting better -- might raise the cup up a bit... waiting on the ato installation (being lazy) -- coral frags have been added ( a while back, this update is a bit late) -- some pics of the corals when they were first added a week ago -- they are much more open and used to the tank now. And just got a blasto and upgraded the crab collection.

Clove: clove.jpg

Favia: favia.jpg

GSP: gsp.jpg

Blasto: blasto.jpg

Skimmate: skimmate.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New update; left the tank alone (went on vacay) for 5 days -- very anxious, lol, came back to a diatom filled beautiful tank! lol -- better pic of the blasto that opened up quite nicely! The frogspawn looks really cool, got a new bangaii who is adjusting quite well to the tank.. was in the back behind rocks day 1... day 2 front left corner of tank... hoping it'll go in the middle soon... lol -- ricordea has opened up even more... got a new rbta and anemone shrimp... its day 2, the rbta is hiding under a rock -- with shrimp... sucks! Will give em some time tho... so no pics of that... YET! And a new red sea star -- covering the whole tank in laps; our family's new favourite for sure!

blasto2.jpg

sf.jpg

ricordia2.jpg

fs2.jpg

bc.jpg

Finally the anemone comes out today! not entirely tho, but still, its out... Annnnnnd had to get two sexy shrimp and a tricolor brain. The sexy shrimp are probably my favourite at the moment -- tricolor brain is the wife and daughter's favourite!

tricolor:

tricolorbrain.jpg

sexy shrimp:

sexyshrimp.jpg

anemone and anemone shrimp:

anemoneandshrimp.jpg

Boy do I love 40Bs. Nice build you have going here! Tagging along for ideas and updates.

thank you and welcome!

Very nice. Coming along.

thanks a lot!

In other news: The anemone is... hiding again.. came out and is not all ... creviced up... not getting a good vibe from this.. :S

sooo I think that anemone is done... :( its shrivelled up and has greenish colored tentacles that look like stubs.. not the red/orange.... blast....!

Just got a 6line and peppermint from AZ @ aquavalley.. Was a bit nervous that he'd run out of the 6 line --- and WOW, I love this fish. I've always been fascinated with this fish -- but nothing else has ever (in my naive minded world of reefing) caught my attention and focus as this fish. I sat there for 'hours' just watching it swim. It seems super happy to be in the tank -- all my other fish kind of lingered in the corner for a day or two and then became active. This fish is doing laps and weaves and crosses through the rock work. Trying to discover and claim ever nook and cranny. Amazing.

-end rant

Archived