inTank Media Baskets

Ma Wee Bonnie 30 Litre Reef

polarblair2000

polarblair2000

Hello folks. As you may of guessed from the title I'm from Scotland.

I signed up a few years ago when I attempted to start up my first marine tank. You can read the sad tale over here Blairs NOT SO Bonnie LIdo 120

Well at last I'm back in the game. A lot has changed since then, the two that stick out the most were probably getting married and buying a house with my wife. And 1 year later I have managed to convince my wife that we need a salt water aquarium :D

Actually I think I have done better than that, she's probably almost as excited as I am!

Anyway enough of this personal nonesense... let you show me you my now little cube of happiness.

Ma Wee Bonnie 30 Litre Reef

FTS 26/09/2012

8027121321_ece4f8fbd3_c.jpg

FTS - 19/08/2012

7822333514_3fd187f97d_c.jpg

FTS - 30/06/2012

7677961598_838654be8a_c.jpg

FTS - 30/05/2012

7175551749_4214c96868_c.jpg

Tank Specs

• TMC Microhabitat 30 (About 8 Gallons)
  • AIO Acrylic rimless cube
  • 3 Rear Chambers
    - Chamber 1: Cheato and 50w Heater
    - Chamber 2: Filter Floss
    - Chamber 3: Ehiem 1000lph pump
  • Aqua Ray Mini LED: 4 CREE XP-E White and 1 Blue Moonlight
  • MRL:3w Blue LED lamp
  • 4kg of Live Rock
  • About 7kg of Pinky coloured Live Sand

Live Stock

• 1 Sharkhead Goby
  • 1 Percula Clownfish
  • 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1 Pom Pom Crab

Corals

• Green Zoas
  • Purple Fireball Zoas
  • Blue Antheas/Xenias
  • Green Star Poyps
  • Green/Orange Favia
  • Rainbow Acan Lord
  • Purple Tipped Duncan
  • Dendro
  • Orange Montipora Capricornis
  • Green Montipora Confusa
  • Spearmint Acropora
  • Acropora Suharsonoi

Clean Up Crew

• 2 Scarlet Hermits
  • 2 Turbo Snails
  • 1 Nassarius Snail
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • Dozens of Feather dusters

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
polarblair2000

So now I have started this thread off i'll add some more pictures of the tank and ramble on a bit and then probably ask some questions.

I've wanted to start up a marine tank for almost 4 years now. I originally wanted to keep an Octopus but realised that 1. They are crafty little escape artists and 2. Nano reefs are probably more interesting.

My original plan was to have a custom built shallow cube ( 3 x 3 x 1 feet ) but I chickened out when I saw what I would end up spending, and with really not very much practical experience I opted for getting an AIO to start out with in order to get a better feel for the hobby.

So I ended up going with the TMC microhabitat 30, I'm not sure if you get these over in the U.S but it seemed like one of the better nano reefs to get over here in the UK.

Well the tank arrived yesterday afternoon along with the LR and LS (I know its probably not real LS, its the stuff that came in the plastic bag but I really liked the little pink flecks it has) and Salt.

So here it is fresh out of the box

7300688076_7096024b13_z.jpg

I added the sand and added the water. I ended up mixing the salt in the tank with the fresh water, which I don't think was the best decision. Im going to get a big container so I can mix the water for future water changes.

I then waited for the water to heat up and checked the salinity which was at about 1.024 - 1.026 and then I added my Live Rock.

I was hoping to have two little islands for my aqua scape, one tall one in the back right and a small one in the front left. Kayleigh (my wife) had claimed this rock and was going to name it the Kayleigh rock, and she planned on getting a pistol shrimp and attaching it to the rock with a leash!...

Well the rocks were much bigger than I had imaged so I ended up with this scape for now.

7300561372_28b65a401e_z.jpg

I told my wife that she can have her rock when we get a bigger tank :P

So far Im really happy with how things are going, the tank is almost silent and even though there is nothing in it I can't help but gaze at it.

Here are some more pictures of the set up...

Bubble Algae?

7300685918_5c0ac9b45c_z.jpg

Led Lights

7300686826_fce40bf977_z.jpg

Some orange glowing stuff under the moonlights

7300690002_7acbcd520d_z.jpg

The Skimmer Cup

7300689010_1d9231be3f_z.jpg

The Tank in posistion

7300688528_6abf9dc689_z.jpg

Now for my questions... I am a beginner who has done many years of reading but as I learned last night that really means very little when it actually comes down to doing it for yourself so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. I see a lot of pods and worms floating around but they all look dead :( is it likely they died when getting shipped with the live rock or have I done something?

2. The tank came with a little skimmer, should I use this during the cycle? Its not on at the moment as I think it would start removing stuff needed to start the cycle.

3. Do I add a clean up crew after I get an algea bloom or before?

polarblair2000

Just ordered myself a "Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit" So I'll be able to see the parameters of the tank tomorrow afternoon hopefully :) I just got an overwhelming sense of stress when I realised that I had no idea what was going on in my tank other than the temp and Salinity.

polarblair2000
Looks like your off to a Great Start!

Thanks, I hope it goes well.

OK, I am in need of some guidance.

My Red Sea test kit came yesterday (at my parents house) so I picked it up today and I have just finished doing my first round of water tests.

I was hoping to see some high ammonia levels so I could confirm the cycling process had started but to my surpass these are the results of my first test.

Salinity: 1.028

PH: 8.1

Alkalinity: 10 dKH

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

I added water on Tuesday, so its only been running for 5 days now, surly its not cycled already. Is there any other reason why my Ammonia and Nitrites are reading zero and Im getting a Nitrate Reading?

Also I have been getting some small patches of green hairy algae on my rock. And the rock seems to be covered in what looks like a green mould, plus there are some patches of cyno that are growing quite quickly.

Anyone got any ideas of where exactly my tank is in the cycling process?

polarblair2000

I've just tested my RO water for Nitrates and it read 0 Nitrates, so it can't be coming from the water I'm using. Any idea why I'm getting 0 ammonia and Nitrites and 5 Nitrates?

Should I add in an ammonia source like a raw shrimp or should I just leave it?

polarblair2000

I decided to a raw shrimp on Sunday night. I've just done another water test this morning.

Ammonia: 0.2

Nitrite: 0.2

Nitrate: 5

How long should I leave the shrimp in the tank? It's been in there for two days so far.

Spirofucci

I'd take that shrimp outta there. You have live rock and sand and there is probably lots of stuff in there for the good bacteria to feed on. I'd just let things sit for another seek or two and keep testing to see if you get a spike in your NH4. Salinity is a little high, should be about 1.025 or 1.026 or 35 ppt.

I think the tank looks great and seems like you are off to a good start!

polarblair2000
I'd take that shrimp outta there. You have live rock and sand and there is probably lots of stuff in there for the good bacteria to feed on. I'd just let things sit for another seek or two and keep testing to see if you get a spike in your NH4. Salinity is a little high, should be about 1.025 or 1.026 or 35 ppt.

I think the tank looks great and seems like you are off to a good start!

Cool, thanks for the advice. I have removed the shrimp. For some reason I thought I'd give it a whiff... BAD IDEA! :wacko:

I did some more water tests and lowered the salinity.

• Ammonia : <0.1
    Nitrite : 0.25
    Nitrate : somewhere between 6-10
    Salinity: 1.025

The algae growth in the tank is picking up the pace. I've got many different varaties covering my once purple encrusted rock. Now it's almost every Colour of the rainbow.

Spirofucci

I'm no expert, but you may have restarted a cycle when you added the shrimp. Just keep testing and it sounds like its time for a clean up crew. Then sit back and have yourself a nice single malt!

polarblair2000

Oh maybe I have... Oh well at least I know things are progressing now. I'll start looking around for some snails and hermits.

Then sit back and have yourself a nice single malt!

Haha, now that I can do :happy:

KeyboardWarrior

Howmyou getting on with your reef mate I've got the same tank so always interested to watch other microhabbitats grow as said above take the shrimp out carry on with your daily tests and leave the tank to settle for a few weeks. Found any cool hitchhikers?

polarblair2000
Howmyou getting on with your reef mate I've got the same tank so always interested to watch other microhabbitats grow as said above take the shrimp out carry on with your daily tests and leave the tank to settle for a few weeks. Found any cool hitchhikers?

It's going well. Yeah I took the shrimp out a few days ago. Ammonia and Nitrites are steady at 0 and nitrates are about 5.

I've just got a new pump for more flow. An Ehiem 1000 which is a lot more powerful. I'm looking into some return plumbing options for the new pump.

I've got lots of wee hitch hikers appearing. I've got lots a tiny snails and tube worms. I've taken some photos which I'll post up soon.

polarblair2000
Cool on you mate. Sounds like the cycle might be done. Maybe time for a fish soon?

:) I'm going to be adding my CUC very soon but I'm away on holiday in a couple of weeks so I won't get any fishes till I get back. I thought it would take a month to cycle making it perfect timing for coming back from holiday.

KeyboardWarrior

I wouldn't add fish anytime soon you need to leave the tank to cycle with no stock for at least 3 or 4 weeks then cuc then you can add fish a few weeks after that slow and steady mate just had a look at your stocking plans I think you might have trouble eight the pistol and other inverts in such a small tank and if you go for a clownfish that needs to be the only fish they are quite territorial and very messy too I'd recommend a pistol goby pair and some nice corals or maybe some trimma or a coral goby

Och, what a bonnie lass she is!

While on vacation be sure there is a way to top off the tank, via and auto top off or a tank sitter.

do a water change when you leave and have water ready for a change when you come back.

KeyboardWarrior

I have the TMC ATO I wouldn't say it matter to much really seeing as you have no stock yet

polarblair2000
Just had a look at your stocking plans I think you might have trouble eight the pistol and other inverts in such a small tank and if you go for a clownfish that needs to be the only fish they are quite territorial and very messy too I'd recommend a pistol goby pair and some nice corals or maybe some trimma or a coral goby

Yeah I have been rethinking my stocking list as far as fish goes and I agree that my original stocking list was too long. Its really hard to choose only one :P

But I think I may go with a clown. I know that a Goby and Pistol shrimp will be great to watch but I would really like an active fish to swim around in the open to add some movement to the tank.

Och, what a bonnie lass she is!

While on vacation be sure there is a way to top off the tank, via and auto top off or a tank sitter.

do a water change when you leave and have water ready for a change when you come back.

:D Thank you

Yeah I've been thinking about an ATO, its scary how much evaporation you get of such a small tank. I've got a lid for the tank thats supposed to help but an ATO is the next thing on my list.

I have the TMC ATO I wouldn't say it matter to much really seeing as you have no stock yet

Is the TMC ATO any good? I was looking at the Tunze ATO but that is lots of £££ (or $$$)

Anyway enough talk. Lets see pictures!

7175551749_4214c96868_z.jpg

NEW FTS for 10/06/12

7175541365_41954ba426_z.jpg

I totally forgot to introduce this little guy. I picked up two Scarlet Legged Hermits last week. They are impressive little rock climbers, they scuttle around all over the top of my rocks munching on anything they kind find. :)

7175539961_b5273e232a_z.jpg

And here is the latest tank member! I picked him up on Saturday and he is by far my favourite creature in the tank. He hangs around upside down a lot in his little cave keeping an eye on things. Every now and again he has a little wander around munching away at things on the rock and in the water.

7175552135_4a471f5668_z.jpg

Here is the view from the couch, where I spend many hours in the evening. You can see my other tank mate in this picture. A Starry Astrea snail with a funky hair do! Don't worry Im going to give hime a hair cut soon :)

I also picked up a Nassarius snail which dive bombed straight away into my sand.

• Current Tank Residents
    2 Scarlet Hermits
    1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    1 Starry Astrea Snail
    1 Nassarius Snail

I also got some filter floss and put it in the back middle chamber just before the pump chamber and the difference in the clarity of my water is fantastic. Good by floaty gross bits :)

Next Stage

• Keep an eye on all my new little friends and make sure they are happy

• Im going to get some Cheato to go in the first rear chamber but I need to find a suitable light. I really would like to get something like the inTank 10w submersible light but struggling to find something like it over here in the UK.

• And get my self an ATO system installed before I go away.

polarblair2000

:angry: I hate my stupid Astrea Snail! This is the second time in a row I have woken up in the morning to find him lying upside down on the sand bed.

Im worried he's going to fall over whilst Im away and starve to death :tears:

Is he just getting used to the tank or could he just be weak?

Nice setup. I don't think I've ever seen a skimmer in a tank that small. Where in Scotland do you live? When I was younger (I think still in primary school, or just starting secondary) I lived in Haddington for a year and then North Berwick for 2 years after that. I'm not sure if you're familiar with either of those towns, but if I remember right they are close to Edinburgh.

polarblair2000
Love the look of the tank! just out of curiosity what skimmer is that?

Thanks. The skimmer came with the tank, to be honest I think its a load of junk. Its an airstone skimmer and all it gives me is a cup of clear water. I have taken it out for now.

following along. :)

:D

Nice setup. I don't think I've ever seen a skimmer in a tank that small. Where in Scotland do you live? When I was younger (I think still in primary school, or just starting secondary) I lived in Haddington for a year and then North Berwick for 2 years after that. I'm not sure if you're familiar with either of those towns, but if I remember right they are close to Edinburgh.

Yeah the skimmer is pants. Im going to be putting cheat in that chamber to replace it shortly. I live near Stirling. Cool I think my folks are going to be moving through to Haddington soon. You still in the UK? Can you recommend any good LFS's. I used to go to ULA in Cupar but its closed now :tears:

Well quick update on the tank...

We have Diatoms! Lots and lots of Diatoms. They have been rapidly increasing in size over the past few days. From what I've read this is normal for a tank cycling.

7184086949_f4971cf724_z.jpg

Also Im getting a lot of air bubbles in the top layer of my sand bed. Anything to worry about?

7369321578_29b02fcefe_z.jpg

Also my Cleaner shrimp has become a lot braver recently. He has been scooting around all over the place :wub:

7184084309_8af683f591_z.jpg

Archived