Pod Your Reef

Busted's DB18 PiCO Build

NanoOrBust

NanoOrBust

All I can say is that I am very happy thus far. I have a long way to go, but I am looking forward to the journey.

I can't say enough good things about Chris and PiCO as I really enjoyed the whole process.

Here is me getting ready for the build:

Gear-for-nano.jpg

I do have to say that I was a bit nervous when the box showed up looking like this!

Nano-shipping-box.jpg

Thankfully Chris knows what he was doing because the packing job was awesome.

Great-packing-Job.jpg

Packing-Side-Shot.jpg

Shot of the media container/stack...whatever you want to call it:

Media-Stack.jpg

Rad little fuge light I got with it:

Fuge-Light.jpg

JBJ Lights with controller:

LEDs.jpg

The glass and sump plastic were a little too thick to hold the magnets in place for the skimmer so I had to make a mini stand for it, but I love it being back there... zero micro bubbles... ZERO:

Skimmer-Mod.jpg

This is a SWANK, yes SWANK little airline holder that Chris built me for my ATO and potential dosing pumps for the future. This thing is awesome as I never have to worry about the line falling out of the tank and filling my desk and floor with ATO water. I love it... you too can have one for $149.95 + shipping... it is a darth maul vader, candy vice, mel gibson holder. You can ask for it by name :lol:

Swank-Holder.jpg

Here is a shot with the sand in it:

Tank-with-Sand.jpg

No lights:

Right-No-Light.jpg

Rock-Scape-No-light-1.jpg

Corner-No-light-Copy.jpg

Here are a few with lights... My phone sucks so the pictures look waaaay blue but it looks much better in person. You get the idea:

Right-with-Light.jpg

Left-with-Light.jpg

Lots to do!!! Thanks for checking out muhhhh build... BUSTED BIG TIME YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

NanoOrBust

Thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it. What would a good cuc look like for this tank? I can steal from my 180 so I could put a good 10 ast snails, 10 crabs, and 40 nas snails. Obviously I need the right balance so they have enough nutrition etc. Thoughts?

NanoOrBust
Pretty fun light, huh? What are the stocking plans?

Yes, I love the light. I am not 100% on where it will end up setting wise, but I love the control. I also was skeptical about the mp10 being worth the money. But I am now a huge fan. Stocking plans will include my two clowns from the 180 and maybe a royal gamma. Not sure as I hear they can be aggressive in a smaller tank? May just be the two clowns. Lots of rics, lps, milli's, and maybe a few blastos or acans. Rbta for clowns.

Thoughts on how much cuc or the royal g?

Deleted User 4

Ahhh I see, I am still debating whether I should get the mp10 or the tunze osmolator 1st.. because then there would be another time frame for me saving up money for one or the other afterwards.

Nice mp10 dude, you're making me want to get that 1st.

NanoOrBust
Ahhh I see, I am still debating whether I should get the mp10 or the tunze osmolator 1st.. because then there would be another time frame for me saving up money for one or the other afterwards.

Nice mp10 dude, you're making me want to get that 1st.

My vote is 100% mp10. You can aways get the Tunze later. Cheaper aternatives out there for the ato as well.

If you get the royal gramma, make sure you put him in last. I put mine in last and have never had any problems with him. The clown actually picks on him sometimes. I must have gotten lucky.

NanoOrBust
If you get the royal gramma, make sure you put him in last. I put mine in last and have never had any problems with him. The clown actually picks on him sometimes. I must have gotten lucky.

Awesome...will do. Thanks for the advice!

Deleted User 4

hmm so when are you going to start adding? What kind of clownfish are you getting? What do you think about Full black onyx clowns??? ;)

NanoOrBust
hmm so when are you going to start adding? What kind of clownfish are you getting? What do you think about Full black onyx clowns??? ;)

I put a few of my lps in tonight to see how they do. I am definitely "trying" to take it slow. I will be putting my two clowns in from my 180. They host a condi now, but I am going to get an RBTA. I hope they like it? Only time will tell. I will post a pic tomorrow of the lps once they open up a little. Here are my clowns in my 180.

Clowns.jpg

NanoOrBust
oohh you have an 180 gallon tank??? Can I see a pic??

This is a few weeks ago after I sold the majority of the corals. It is still up and running because it is being picked up next week.

Front-Direct.jpg

Hood-Direct.jpg

Left-Side-Direct.jpg

Right-Side-Direct.jpg

NanoOrBust

Updated Pic with some corals added.

Does anyone on here use Oyster Feast? I am not sure how much to put into my tank to feed the coral / pods / etc. It says a few teaspoons for several hundred gallons. Well does that equate to 1 drop a day or 3 drops a day? I don't want an algae outbreak. How much do you use?

052212.jpg

NanoOrBust
mmm that's good that you're selling the 180, just too much work to handle haha.

Yes, I agree... I am trying to "simplify" my life. heh

eddiecorrea

So how are you liking the light? I'm really thinking about getting one. That or the Kessil. But the Kessil isn't really all that controllable. Got any more pictures of it? I can't seem to find a very good picture of it on a tank.

NanoOrBust
So how are you liking the light? I'm really thinking about getting one. That or the Kessil. But the Kessil isn't really all that controllable. Got any more pictures of it? I can't seem to find a very good picture of it on a tank.

I really like the light. I love the controls as I tend to like just a little bit more blue (closer to a 20k) look and the ability to adjust the amount is great. One benefit I also see is the fact that you can acclimate your corals better as you have control as to how much light you put in. I am at 40 - 50% now because I just put my corals in and they are used to a much deeper tank. I will slowly work my way up to 80 - 90%. I was also debating the Kessil. It is still a pretty sweet light. I am sure you would be happy with either direction you go.

The only downside is that the fan on top is a little loud, but I work from home and am on the phone all day and it doesn't bother me, but I can tell once it turns on.

I will try to snap some pics of the light on the tank for you this afternoon to give you a better idea.

Updated Pic with some corals added.

Does anyone on here use Oyster Feast? I am not sure how much to put into my tank to feed the coral / pods / etc. It says a few teaspoons for several hundred gallons. Well does that equate to 1 drop a day or 3 drops a day? I don't want an algae outbreak. How much do you use?

052212.jpg

I use it, every other night at like 130-2am i put it about 10-15 drops here is there calculator http://www.reefnutrition.com/feed_calculator.html

NanoOrBust

Here are a few without the lights on. That way you can see the light fixture itself.

Light2.jpg

Light3.jpg

Light1.jpg

I hope that helps?

• 3 weeks later...
eddiecorrea

Thanks for the pics. I forgot to respond here again but saw them. I ended up buying a kessil last week and so far I am loving it. Great light.

Archived