Pod Your Reef

121a's Evolve 4 New LEDs

121a

Hello everyone, it has been a long time since I step foot on NR, let alone posted anything. Well I got bit by the saltwater bug and I'm back. My last tank, a Cadlight 12g got baked by a stuck on heater and that was when I left the nano-reefing portion of this hobby. But, I just recently decided to get back into it.

Current Tank Specs
Tank: Aqueon 4 Gallon
Lighting: 14x3w dimmable Bridgelux LEDs from Aqua Styles (Ray) on a 7.28"x6" heatsink, 6xWarm White, 4x RB, 3, Actinic Violet, 1xCyan. Cooled by either a 120mm or 2x60mm
Flow: 92gph return pump, 180gph Hydor Pico pump
Controller: Digital Aquatics RKL (hopefully soon with SL1 and ATO)
Filtration: Natural, about 6lbs of LR, LR rubble in first filter chamber

Stocking Plans
Coral: SPS on rocks; Zoas, Acans, Rics on bottom
Fish/Invert: Either 1x Yellow clow and 1x Green clown goby or 1xClowgoby and a shrimp of sorts

Tank
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg

Possible Lighting Setup...
Whichone.png

very nice! I have the same tank, so far im pleased, just wish the back chambers allowed for more filtration options. ive got the hydor pico pump as well! only thing that doesn't turn my tank into a sandstorm. I have a PAR38 bulb on mine and have had good results. Looking foward to seeing which LED setup you choose

Thanks! I probably looked at your tank, I really like the Aqueon 4, very well done tank and perfect for pico reefs! I just ordered the LEDs this morning and can't wait to start playing with them!

Those are very cool tanks, good choice.

You might however want to rethink the number of LEDs, 14 is a lot for a 4 gallon tank. I run 4 at 350ma on a 4 gallon cube and that is more than enough light.

I hope not, but I,ll be able to dim it if necessary. And yeah, these tanks are very cool and seem to be high quality.

Just a quick update, been testing every other day, cycle looks like it is proceeding as planned. Heat sink came in the other day as well as a Hydor Pico Mag rated at 180gph. Very nice little pump with a wide angle of flow. I also made a little egg crate rack for the first chamber that currently has LRR and some filter floss on it.

For the RKL I ordered an SL1 with 2 floats, another PC4, and I may be buying a used ALC to control the LEDs which are coming in on Monday! So quite a bit has been happening and I'm super excited for this little tank!

Got started on the LEDs today. My driver box is almost finished and the LEDs are mounted and pre-soldered. First time using a soldering iron and it was quite the ordeal, but I managed to get each LED pre-soldered and they all still work!!!

I decided against gluing the LEDs down. If I ever want to swap out LEDs I would be forced to pry it off. With screws, I can simply swap them as needed. Also, Ray sent two spare LEDs a 6500K and another Royal Blue, so I swapped in the blue for a white.

Warm White (4300K)-5

Royal Blue- 5

Violet (420nm)- 3

Cyan-1

Here are some pics of the progress:

CAD Drawing placed over heatsink with holes punched for LEDs

IMG_0290.jpg

All drilled (4 drill bits were needed)

IMG_0292.jpg

Pre-Screwing

IMG_0291.jpg

Arctic Silver 5 Applied

IMG_0293.jpg

All mounted

IMG_0295.jpg

Pre-Solder

IMG_0296.jpg

Project Box

IMG_0297.jpg

POTs (soon to be ALC)

IMG_0298.jpg

Well, it took another three hours but...the LEDs are soldered and they work!!! I knew they were going to be bright but they are incredibly bright. Full strength turns the tank into a fire ball!!! B)

Anyway, here are some pictures, fixture is not hung over the tank yet, that will be tomorrows project.

Lowest setting:

IMG_0299.jpg

Lowest setting V and Blue

IMG_0300.jpg

Highest setting V and Blue

IMG_0301.jpg

Misc...

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Disco ball effect is present but does go away when it is held 4" off the tank.

Thanks! I will adjust it accordingly when I put corals in. Still cycling so it will be a while. I'm also thinking of taking a piece of acrylic and scuffing it with 2000grit sandpaper making it somewhat frosted. I'm hoping that it will diffuse as well is reduce the amount of light, allowing for higher settings but better blending.

On the lowest setting, they are pretty dim, I'll probably run at 45%-70%. Still have some tinkering to do as well as cleaning up the wiring.

Ok, built the mount and wired up a fan to keep things cool. Also dialed in a nice balance between blue and white. Looks almost like a 12K ReefLux lamp.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

VeganBrian

What do you think about that tank itself? well built? any complaints or issues? i was thinking about getting one because my pico sprung a leak today.

I think it is an very well built tank with great features. The stock pump is also nice and strong. The chambers are a bit narrow but are workable. You can always add and aquaclear hob if you wanted a bit more space.

Tested the water again today and...

Ammonia: .25

NO2: 0

NO3: 0

PH: 8.2

SG: 1.027

The past two weeks I noticed a spike in Ammonia, NO2, and NO3 but yesterday everything was at zero. The rock came from a bin cold saltwater so I am assuming it was never really dead, hence I wasn't expecting much of a cycle. I did throw in a few flakes of food though. Haven't had ANY algae which is really puzzling me. I will probably wait another week and see what happens. Don't want to start adding stuff only to find that my cycle isn't over.

Todays tests

PH: 8.2 via API and 8.1 via DA SL1 module

dKH: 9.6 via Salifert

Alk: 3.43 via Salifert

Ammonia: 0 API

Nitrite: 0 API

Nitrate: 0 API

Ca: 460

Salinity: 1.026

Looks like my cycle is over and I'll be going to an LFS to pick up a small fish and maybe a frag after I do a water change later this week. I want to add stuff slowly as my cycle was lite and I don't want to over stress the tank. No signs of algae or anything, so CUC is put on hold for now.

Just a suggestion. Why not drill a hole and mount the Evo Pico Mag behind the false wall? It will clean up the display area a little.

I was thinking about doing that, except with a MaxiJet. I decided against because I already setup the tank and didn't want to dismantle it.

Picked up a Black and White Occellaris clown (Charlie), two nass snails, and one reef hermit. Also did my first water change today and I'll be hooking up a modded AC30 and using it as a fuge.

So my Pico-Evo Mag pump is making the worst rattling sound. Called DFS and they are shipping out a new replacement (as well as a new API test kit as the one I ordered has a defective Ammonia bottle), A++++ in customer service!

I also hooked up my AC30 fuge and I couldn't be happier with it. I am using the stock Aqueon LED light to light it. Don't have cheato in it yet though. May order some from reefcleaners.org. Overall everything is going pretty good! I'll have some updated pics tomorrow.

Update: Everything is going very good. My B&W Ocellaris is eating both myis and flake and the water parameters are as follows:

Salinity- 1.026

pH- 7.8 to 8.1

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 0

Alk/KH- 10.2/3.66

Mg- 1280 (little low, started dosing Kent Mag today, shooting for 1350-1380)

Ca- 470

Temp- 79.0 +/- .1 degree

Here are a few update pictures

Setup

th_IMG_0374.jpg

Fuge/Fuge Light (stock tank light)

th_IMG_0376.jpg

FTS (LEDs @100%)

th_IMG_0378.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coral update, FINALLY.

Daytime:

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Nighttime:

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Should also mention I ordered more LEDs. A pink, red, and UV. Along with 2 6500K, 2 RB, and 2 Actinics. I have yet to decide how I am going to place them but I want to experiment with full spectrum.

So I will be going up to 20x3w LEDs. I have decided to go full spectrum and check out the buzz. As such my current layout will need to be altered to this:

NewLayout.png

This shows which LEDs are on the same driver

DriverSetup.png

New Count:

4x4,500K

2x6,500K

6xRB

4x420nm Violet

1xPink

1xDeep Red

1xCyan

1x UV