SaltCritters.com

TKIY's PicoAquariums DB18 SPS-o-rama

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

I love this place. My old build thread was full of awesome people and stupid posting and everything that makes NR like my own little dysfunctional family that I haven't spoken with in two years.

I guess I need more abuse because I'm back. omgomgomg

So here's what I need to decide right now. I don't know if I want to go cubeish with a stunning little AIO from PicoAquariums (MR18 or DB maybe) in Starphire or bigger with a 40g Breeder or 75g with sump/skimmer/reactors/chocolate bunnies? Either way I'm going to have enough SPS to choke a horse, bare bottom, and Vortechs making the fishies beg for FLOW MERCY.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

One other caveat, nothing will be wet before end of July. I'm going away for two weeks in early July and I don't want to come home to my own little version of the Okefenokee in my basement.

The door to FanBus 2.0 is open. Watch your step. :happydance:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKingInYellow

These things always have a way of growing out of control. Getting a quote on a custom 100g shallow tank (48 x 24 x 18) in starphire from a local builder. If I order it, do I get banned for failing to Nano the Reef ?

These things always have a way of growing out of control. Getting a quote on a custom 100g shallow tank (48 x 24 x 18) in starphire from a local builder. If I order it, do I get banned for failing to Nano the Reef ?

Plumb it to a pico as a sump.

TheKingInYellow

Well running the cashnumbers with the wife this weekend is pushing me distinctly back into Nanoland...

How does this equipment list look?

Pico Aquariums DB18 in Starphire w/ Starphire cover and Refugium light

Apex (Jr? Lite?) Controller w/ Lunar Module

Vortech MP10w

Osmolator ATO

Nova A4 Dimmable LED or maybe a DIY or an AI Nano...

Barebottom it, crank the Vortech, grow the corals. All this stuff should happily migrate to a bigger tank down the road should I end up going that route as well.

TheKingInYellow

Ordered the NOVA light. Basically an OEM ripoff of the AI Sol/Nano with it's modular lenses and LED clusters. Getting a quote on the rest of the equipment from Chris at Pico.

Things be moving.

TheKingInYellow

I just sent a bunch of cash to Chris at Pico Aquariums. Ordered:

DB 18 - in Starphire with Starphire lid and black silicone w/ refugium light

Vortech MP10W

Tunze Osmolator

I get to have the first Pico in Canada! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

TheKingInYellow

Just found a local plastics supplier who is cutting down an 8' x 4' sheet of 3/8" black HDPE for the tank bottom.

I know Silicone won't adhere to it, but I'm hoping I can lay down a bead to seal it down and prevent detritus from collecting underneath it. I'm paranoid about a rockslide in a BB, and I think the black bottom will look good with the black back and seams. Going for a minimalist look I think.

I'm also looking for a controller. I was going to order one from Pico but I have a store credit up here and the pricing is about the same. I'm wondering if I can get an Apex with a VDM and hotwire the Nova A4 to bypass the pots on top and dim it with the Apex...

TheKingInYellow

And because I like spending money, I just ordered in the Apex (not Lite or Jr what was I thinking this is so expensive) with temp and pH probes, DC8 and 2 LED lunar simulator.

This seems like overkill for a skimmerless, sumpless system, but overkill is what I do best.

TheKingInYellow
Viva los Canada!!

also what kind of sump are you going to run? size etc

Going with just the integrated Pico Sump that Chris builds into the tank. Room for a small skimmer if I want, filter media stack, refugium, and return chamber. 20% weekly water changes otherwise.

Pretty simple, should be a bit of a challenge but nothing serious.

TheKingInYellow

My light fixture is shipping tomorrow! Yayayayayay!

Will be sure to strip it apart and see what kind of drivers it has and if I can directly rewire it to my Apex or not. I want sunrise/sunset dammit!

TheKingInYellow

No boxes waiting for me at home today :rant:

Gonna have to go buy a heater or something so I can have some pics in mah thread.

TheKingInYellow

Woohoo DHL just dropped off my direct from Hong Kong lights! Will post pictures tonight.

Also, picked up a few last supplies this weekend - 100w Ebo heater, Mag float, etc... Still debating an RO unit or buying distilled for now.

I also ordered a box of Marco rocks. I can only get 50lb boxes so I had to find another local reefer who would split a box with me. I can't imagine using more than 15-20lbs in the display.

TheKingInYellow

So my lights are here, and they look to be pretty awesome. These are from AliExpress and the vendor came highly recommended on RC.

The controls are pretty simple:

7252780394_ac0a1ec902.jpg

Top by TKIY, on Flickr

Two potentiometers act as dimmers as well as power switches, and the drivers run both the LEDs and the dual exhaust fans.

The LEDS are a 1:1 RB to White ratio, Bridgelux LEDs and built in to modular clusters like the AI/Radions:

7252780646_c8053596e0.jpg

LEDs by TKIY, on Flickr

My plan is to bypass the pots and just run it off the VDC on the Apex. So I cracked the case to check out the drivers:

7252781218_c21db8fc0e.jpg

DriversAndFans by TKIY, on Flickr

Sadly, these are unlabeled no-name mystery black box drivers. To make it more complicated, instead of three leads going to the pot, there are four, they are all black and unlabeled as well:

7252780586_d9575c7fa9.jpg

PotConnector by TKIY, on Flickr

So, I have no idea what these drivers are capable of beyond the basic amperage, etc... They run 24 3W LEDs each but that's about the extent of my knowledge on them So I might just have to measure the physical space in the case, snip off the old wires and put in some Meanwells or Inventronics drivers instead.

Archived