Cultivated Reef

The Lightning Clown is Spawning!

awpong

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I hadn't even heard they finally paired it. Those first babies are gonna be expensive as hell

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I hadn't even heard they finally paired it. Those first babies are gonna be expensive as hell

Do you think he will sell them?

altolamprologus
Do you think he will sell them?

At some point yeah. He'll most likely retain the ones that show the lightning pattern and sell the siblings. Even the ones that don't show the pattern will still have the genes and will fetch a hefty price.

Saw that this morning on Reefbuilders FB page, so sick!!I guess the odds of this first hatch surviving is slim, since the Clowns layed the eggs on a part of the tank and not the intended ceramic plate. altolamprologus is probably right, the first clowns to sell are gonna cost a fortune!

I havnt been following these clowns, so Im probably out of the loop. But what are the odds that the "lightening" will be passed to the babies? Pretty much guaranteed, or is the lightening pattern (obviously) a freak of nature?

At some point yeah. He'll most likely retain the ones that show the lightning pattern and sell the siblings. Even the ones that don't show the pattern will still have the genes and will fetch a hefty price.

Genetically, the best chance for offspring to express the lightning phenotype will be in the F2 generation. In other words, once the first generation of offspring has been reared and raised to breeding age, their offspring will have the greatest percentage of the lightning pattern.

I'm sure he'll start selling the F1 generation to major breeders such as ORA and what not, but it'll be a while before the lightning pattern is introduced into the mainstream.

Genetically, the best chance for offspring to express the lightning phenotype will be in the F2 generation. In other words, once the first generation of offspring has been reared and raised to breeding age, their offspring will have the greatest percentage of the lightning pattern.

I'm sure he'll start selling the F1 generation to major breeders such as ORA and what not, but it'll be a while before the lightning pattern is introduced into the mainstream.

Interesting..thanks. Wonder what ORA and the like, are willing to pay.

altolamprologus

Probably quite a bit because of the potential for them to mass-produce lightning clowns. Granted maroons don't sell for much, but neither did ocellaris until all the fancy varieties were developed

Considering the fact that the mother was sold for $2500, I'd say quite a lot :bling:

altolamprologus
Considering the fact that the mother was sold for $2500, I'd say quite a lot :bling:

And I bet there's a lot of breeders willing to pay that and more to get their hands on some babies

Remember folks--there is no guarantee that the lightning pattern is genetic at all. There is a potential that all the F1 and F2 will be completely normal looking.

altolamprologus
Remember folks--there is no guarantee that the lightning pattern is genetic at all. There is a potential that all the F1 and F2 will be completely normal looking.

Aww don't ruin the fun! :P We can all hope can't we?

RayWhisperer
Wait.. Matt Peterson sold it? When did that happen?
devilsadvocate

how could it not be genetic?

altolamprologus

Misbarred clowns are commonly caused by poor water quality and some deformities are linked to parental nutrition so it's a possibility the pattern is caused by environmental factors.

I thought it was given to him, free of charge, for breeding efforts.

He was selected as one of the few eligible breeders capable of breeding this fish, but he still had to buy it. Some of the top bids were around $5000, but he got it for $ 2,500.95.

And upon further research for the prices, it appears that Matt plans on selling/distributing the F1 generation to Blue Zoo Aquatics and other reputable breeders to amplify the chance of rearing more lightnings.

Here's an article that has all of the history: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=416

RayWhisperer

LOL! Eligible breeder. I remember when he couldn't breed Victorian Haps. He would bring them to the LFS to breed.

Misbarred clowns are commonly caused by poor water quality and some deformities are linked to parental nutrition so it's a possibility the pattern is caused by environmental factors.

^ This

Although the chances of the lightning pattern being genetic are fairly good. The patterning is most likely the result of a mutation in the HOX genes and neural crest cells, resulting in the unique expression of it's bar. It also helps that the lightning maroon is wild, essentially ruling out poor nutrition and water quality. This is also, to my knowledge, the second lightning maroon that has been found/entered the hobby.

Archived