ReefCleaners.org

Pippin's 28 gallon Big Gulp

Pippin

Started a 28 gallon Nano Cube in March 2012. It has come a long way since then.

Current Tank Shot.

August 2012

IMG_3318.jpg

Equipment:

• 28 Gallon JBJ Nano-Cube
  • InTank Media Basket with fliter floss, Clear Fx PRO and Purigen
  • Stock Nano Protein Skimmer
  • JBJ Unibody Dimmable 54 Watt 6500K-20000K LED Fixture
  • Ocean Pulse Duo Alternating Wavemaker
  • Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10es

Live Rock

• About 20 pounds of Reel Reef Rock

Coral

• Various Acropora
  • Pink Birdsnest
  • Neon Green Birdsnest
  • Purple Montipora Capricornis
  • Various Zoanthids
  • Duncan
  • Orange Tube Coral
  • Kryptonite Trumpet Coral
  • Green Star Polyp
  • Frogspawn
  • Ricordea Mushrooms
  • Rainbow Acan
  • Ultra Technicolor Acan
  • Aussie Acan Lord
  • Christmas Favia
  • Green Aussie Acan Lord

Inverts

• 3 Nassarius Snails
  • 10 Hermit Crabs
  • 10 Margarita Snails
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Red Pistol Shrimp
  • 3 Sexy Shrimp
  • Hitchhiker Brittle Stars
  • Sand Sifting Star

Fish

• Percula Clownfish
  • Royal Gramma
  • Yellow Candy Hogfish
  • Yellow Watchman Goby

Looks good so far :) You aren't the first one that isn't happy with an impulse purchase buy, but it looks like you have a really nice tank now :)

Looks good so far :) You aren't the first one that isn't happy with an impulse purchase buy, but it looks like you have a really nice tank now :)

Thank you very much. It has been quite a turnaround since I first got it a month ago. I am in the process of loading the first tank shots from a few weeks ago. SO much change in just 1 month.

^^^ Definitely a no go with the damsel. Such A pain. Tormented the other fish as well as me. The turd bit the crap out of my hand every time I would put my hand in the tank.

Here are some recent/random shots:

One of my hermits thinks he's an astrea snail.

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

So I came home from class a week ago and found my couch soaking wet. The tank had a small crack in the rear chamber. Thankfully, I called my friends up at the LFS and they provided me a brand new tank without a hood for $100.

After a long and arduous "tank exchange" I managed to safely transfer everything into the new tank without any casualties (knock on wood). As much as I hate to say it, I am kind of happy that this happened. I was able to secure the rock better so that there is a much smaller possibility of my pistol shrimp causing some sort of a fiasco. Plus, I think I like the rockwork better :P

Thanks for looking. Here are some recent shots of my livestock who seem to like the new setup.

IMG_1409.jpg

Green clown goby on his favorite hairy mushroom.

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

NanoOrBust

Love your tank. I reallylike the clown goby and your zoa rock. Like you I am plamning on going heavy sps, with a select few milli's. Take a pictureof your orange tube coral. It looks pretty healthy!

Wow sorry to hear about the leak! I'm glad you're happier with it now but that would have been such a heart attack and a pain to transfer!

That clown goby pic is so adorable :wub:

Dude, those Hairy mushrooms look amazing. Such an interesting texture, and they're a good size as they are right now. With out reading, I really thought it was Galaxea.

Do you ever have issues feeding your sun coral? I'm getting poor results with the turkey baster, since I have to submerge the entire thing to reach both the Black Sun and my Dendro. Do you use a feeding chamber, or move it to a seperate container? The black sun is so tempermental, any slight adjustment and it won't open for a few days, so both options prove challenging. The Dendro is a fatty fat, but it's still a pain.

Nice lookin' tank, you certainly turned it around.

Love your tank. I reallylike the clown goby and your zoa rock. Like you I am plamning on going heavy sps, with a select few milli's. Take a pictureof your orange tube coral. It looks pretty healthy!

Thanks. I will get on that picture as soon as I can B)

Wow sorry to hear about the leak! I'm glad you're happier with it now but that would have been such a heart attack and a pain to transfer!

That clown goby pic is so adorable :wub:

Yeah, It was a good 9 hours of concern. I was fortunate to not have any losses.

Don't tell my other fish, but I think that my clown goby is my favorite fish in the tank. So much personality, and talk about fearless! I actually almost lost him the other day. I heard a strange splash while doing something near the tank and didn't think anything of it. I randomly happened to check my filter floss (of all the things to check, I know) about five minutes later and noticed a weird black thing laying on it. After taking a closer look I noticed that it was the goby laying on his side trying the breath the tiny bit of water on top of the floss. I quickly grabbed him and placed him back into my tank. This makes me like him even more now.

Your tank is looking great by the way, Paigee. I am digging the rock work. :)

Dude, those Hairy mushrooms look amazing. Such an interesting texture, and they're a good size as they are right now. With out reading, I really thought it was Galaxea.

Do you ever have issues feeding your sun coral? I'm getting poor results with the turkey baster, since I have to submerge the entire thing to reach both the Black Sun and my Dendro. Do you use a feeding chamber, or move it to a seperate container? The black sun is so tempermental, any slight adjustment and it won't open for a few days, so both options prove challenging. The Dendro is a fatty fat, but it's still a pain.

Nice lookin' tank, you certainly turned it around.

Thanks! The hairy mushroom is already getting way too big. It grows so fast.

I actually just feed the tube coral where it is. He only opens up when there is food present in the tank, so I submerge my whole arm in the tank and squirt a little food on the polyps and they open up in about 20 minutes. The only issue is the stupid cleaner shrimp. I literally have to sit there with the baster for 10 minutes and tap him a bit every time he gets near the thing. There isn't enough room where it is at to do the whole 2 liter trick, and I am afraid to move it anywhere else because it took him about a week to start opening up where he is.

I miss my standard branching sun coral, it was so much more forgiving than the black is. I think you'd be ok moving your's forward between the brain and the duncan, that way you could use the 2L trick. I love shrimp, but I don't think I'll ever house one in a dedicated Reef again (excluding Anemone shrimp.)

You got really lucky with your Clown goby. I see mine maybe once a week if I'm lucky, otherwise he skulks about in the shadows eating pods. I've never seen a fish reject such a wide variety of prepared food before.

Yeah, he is definitely all over the place.

That open area between the duncan and the brain is where the watchman likes to kick sand everywhere so I try to keep things away from there.

I would somewhat agree with the shrimp thing. They can be a hassle sometimes. The sexy shrimp nibble on my waving hand. People say you have to spot feed them, but I have found that it is just about impossible to do that.

Very Niiiiiiiiice!

I'm going to steal your Zoanthids. :P

I am going to steal your tank thread name idea. Even though I believe that it was my idea in the first place :D

Gramophone
I am going to steal your tank thread name idea. Even though I believe that it was my idea in the first place :D

Hmm, that's weird. I thought there was this artist named Fats Waller that sung this song in 1941 called "All That Meat and No Potatoes", but I guess being born in 1989 and all, you probably did think of it first, Luke. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the rock the way I want it after about 4,529 attempts. Traded 4 mediocre-looking corals for 2 fantastic ones. Some new shots:

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

I made this frag rack! Pretty proud of myself.

IMG_1884.jpg

I'd say you made some pretty good trades! How did I know you were going to end up getting that kryptonite coral? Haha. By the way, my frags are looking mighty nice in your tank! ;) Definitely not regretting purchasing those acans. What a swell job you did on that frag rack -- you should be proud.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've updated. Lost a few corals and gained a few more. Recent pictures with the girlfriends macro ;)

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

Archived