Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Got my ac500 fuge setup on my minibow...

Physh1

I got my Aquaclear 500 today so I could get a fuge done on my minibow. Cut a baffle and glued it in (it's a 6" tall baffle), placed ~2.5" on sand from my 150 in it, and a few pieces of live rock. I hooked it up to a new Aquaclear surface skimmer. I've been running the thing at full flow and there has been absolutely no sand disturbance....I did throttle it back though. I've got to redo my top off switch...with that wide filter and surface skimmer my normal setup won't work. I think all I really need now is a light for it...lol

Anyhow, here are a few pics:

ac500fuge01.JPG

ac500fuge02.JPG

ac500fuge03.JPG

ac500fuge04.JPG

ac500fuge05.JPG

ac500fuge06.JPG

ac500fuge07.JPG

ac500fuge08.JPG

ac500fuge09.JPG

Any questions just ask...

Cameron

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean you "throttled it back"? Mine was missing directions when I got it so maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks...

You can move the intake back and forth a little to reduce/increase flow. The intake u-tube has a little knob on it which allows you to easily adjust this....you don't have to have it flow the full potential gph all the time.

Cameron

There are some zoo's and GSP along with some clean up crew. I did a major rearrangment and getting it back to normal. As soon as I know everything is settled I'll be adding some fish and more corals.

Cameron

OxInYourBox

Sweet Cameron.

I've got an AC500 sitting here beside my MiniBow but haven't mounted it yet b/c of the float switch rearrangment. I'll wait to see how you do yours then I'll folllow suit. :)

Originally posted by Telecaster

Cameron, what light setup are you using on your minibow? Thanks.

Currently juts a 32w retro in the stock hood but now that the AC 500 is on the stock hood won't fit. I'm going to now install a 2x32 retro in my canopy.
Originally posted by OxInYourBox

Sweet Cameron.  

I've got an AC500 sitting here beside my MiniBow but haven't mounted it yet b/c of the float switch rearrangment. I'll wait to see how you do yours then I'll folllow suit.

As soon as I do it I'll post pics.....

Cameron

Oh yeah, if you remove that black disk attached to the end of the tube in your first pic (right over the pump, inside the filter) you can even lower your GPH, if you dont like it, reinstall it!

I noticed that when I was messing with the flow. All is good so far...corals don't mind it.

I've used the surface skimmer before and I really like it. No problems at all.

Cameron

I have the AC500 on my 10gal....great fuge...but I'm not sure the skimmer is doing anything...I never see anything in the collection cup.

Originally posted by mache62

I have the AC500 on my 10gal....great fuge...but I'm not sure the skimmer is doing anything...I never see anything in the collection cup.

The surface skimmer doesn't collect anything!?! The surface skimmer allows the filter to use surface water as part of it's circulation. It's not a protein skimmer. This surface skimmer prevents surface slim from collecting and helps break the water surface.

Cameron

Just a piece of plastic I had around from some of my DIY stuff. It's a very very tight fit and just used some acrylic glue to secure it further.

Cameron

Hi, my name is Vic, and I am new to this site. The AC500 fuge is a great idea! You wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of the AC500? I like this idea and would like to try it on my 20gallon along with my BAK PAK protein skimmer.

This system doesn't sound bad to go on my 5gallon either. Thanx for the great idea.

Vic:)

Hello MX:

I thought that sump/fuge systems should be about 20% or greater of the tank volume?

I have another question, in the fuge should you run DSB, LR and macro algae or just a DSB and macro?

• 1 month later...
tommyboy22481

The baffle goes all the way to the bottom of the filter and water flows over the top right? Is there a good page explaining how a fuge works and whats required? I dont see the reasoning of putting LR ans LS in a fuge if you have that already in the tank.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived