inTank Media Baskets

Green wormy things are taking over(Neomeris)

RK_tek

bd06432e.jpg

I've been battling these green tubular things for months and have no idea what they are or where they came from. I've tried manual removal, burning them with a soldering iron. Pretty sure I tried spot treating with peroxide at one point. If anyone can ID these or help with a treatment plan, I'd appreciate it. They spread like crazy and I can't take them anymore. They've been choking out some of my corals. I keep up on water changes. ~20%/week. Nitrates stay in check. I have dwarf hermits, cerith, nassarius, and periwinkle snails for CUC and run chemipure elite and chaeto in my AC70

They are actually good but in your case bad.. You may need to replace the rock they are on if you can't get them to stop growing. I know that doesn't help but I don't really have any other ideas to get rid of it.

brandon429

right now on the reefcentral nanos forum peroxide thread we are killing neomeris no problem. at least its a for sure kill option if your other options dont pan out.

3856861[/url]']

right now on the reefcentral nanos forum peroxide thread we are killing neomeris no problem. at least its a for sure kill option if your other options dont pan out.

Tanks. I'll surf in over there and check it out. I was on the verge of ordering some new rock which would bring on a whole other host of issues

brandon429

Let's cure it here!

Either lift out your infested rocks or drain the tank to get to them. Please give us a full tank shot first, need to see what's in the tank

After verified, you take a brand new bottle of peroxide never opened, and place a drop on each neomeris stalk. Rinse off/refill tank they will die in a few days

After your cure I'll link this to both forums its helpful because neomeris is starting to become popular. I hadn't even heard about it before 2010...

Lifting rocks out is best way, cuz you can clean under them too and do a nice water change.

If you want to treat them in tank we'll know based on your fts if it will work

8e58dc8e.jpg

1ae56c9b.jpg

Before FTS and soaking some of the affected rocks in 50/50 solution of peroxide and SW

I pulled some of the affected rock including one plug with zoas and one LPS head. Everything got a 3-4 minute soak then a quick SW rinse before going back in the tank. I also dipped a green finger leather while trying to keep it out of the solution as much as possible. Within 10 minutes it was back open so I think it'll survive

brandon429

Hey that's a sick run nice job man

Was the peroxide from a new bottle apparently that makes a big difference in kill time i'm definitely watching now

Its so friggin hard to work on 300 gallon sps tanks over there I wish our hardest challenge posters could do what you do and just pile troubles into a bowl for a few mins. I think you will beat the crap out of it depending on the freshness of your bubbly

brandon429

I had made the joke on rc that its sickening for large tank owners to see the ease that nanos have with this kind of a problem. A water drain for us, or a removal of almost all reef biomass comprises that of a small bowl sometimes...you can control a nano far, far easier than a large tank we were always told the opposite online.

@brandon- I have some large rocks that will have to be done in place and spot treated bc of their size and corals (Xenia). The bowl i used was really small. Took less than two cups of SW/peroxide.

These are pictures after 12 hours. You can see shrinking and whitening of the neomeris already occurring.

91713ff9.jpg

26cbefaf.jpg

This image is a good comparison. The neomeris in the center was dipped while the I Ed on the right were not.

ab6f21c5.jpg

The LPS head that wasn't doing well, hence no inflation. It was making a comeback until the neomeris. It did not seem to be affected by 3 minutes in 50/50 peroxide

If you havnet gotten rid of it yet I had a lot of this in one of my tanks and I added an emerald crab and it wiped it out. Not saying it would definitely work for you but it worked overnight for me.

sublunary

I had a bunch too that I accidentally killed by turning a powerhead on them. In a couple of days of high flow they were gone. Way easier than peroxide dips.

brandon429

Ill relay increased flow back to large tank owners on Rc who've battled it a long time to see what they say, if i'm not wrong they had tried that already

Will go back and re read

The dip worked fast wow man

I recently Chemi-Cleaned my tank because of massive cyano. I had a few of these (but MUCH smaller) and the chemi clean appears to have done considerable damage to them.

3860862[/url]']

Rk how is it now

I spent 4 hours last night dipping everything that had neomeris on it. My finger leather, Xenia, and Kenya tree are upset but will recover. Everything else is doing ok. Some pieces were too big to submerge so I had to pour peroxide over them, they do not have quite the same look of imminent death that others do, but I am sure the peroxide has struck a death blow to my become rid problem. If I have a few stragglers I can pick them off and spot treat them

UPDATE

2b84d9b5.jpg

a348715c.jpg

36 and 60 hours after seperated treatments things are very promising. I have a few neos left that will require spot treatment. Everything is in death throes. I even noticed my stomatella snail eating the dead neo. He usually only comes out at night. +1 for H2O2

3862485[/url]']

It's a life saver huh?

Most definately. I've spent so many hours manually removing it just to have it come back. I'm loving this. Best 99 cents spent on my tank.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Just an update, bc i found a link to this thread on 3reef claiming that H2O2 will get rid of neomeris annulata. Over a year and many peroxide/lightout/emerald crabs later, I am still battling this awful algae.

Yes we had a guy on the rc thread who couldn't kill it with 35% its terrible stuff man.

The above pics show a kill... I wonder if repeated treatments got the same kill?

The neomeris would turn white and die back for a few days, then sprout up again. As it is calciferous(sp?) I read on RC that you can sometimes starve it into submission. Also a rise in nitrate and phosphate as well as lower temps can help. I'm setting up my PicO as a test tank. I have some rocks that ill move over there and run for a few weeks. I will also lower the SG to drop Ca more than what my IO Reef Crystals mix at. Probably down to 1.022

Archived