29G SPS Aquarium

lagunastudio

lagunastudio

Oct 10 2012

10-09-2012_FULLTANK.jpg

Sand / Live Rock

40lbs Fiji Live rock

20 lbs of Sugar fine live sand

5 lbs of Premium Aquatic Live Sand (Fuge)

Fish

2 x ORA Black and White Ocellaris

Potter's Angel

6 line wrasse

Coral

LPS:

Frogspawn

Galaxea

SPS:

ORA Birds of Paradise

ORA Turquiose Staghorn Acropora

ORA Brett's Purple Rim Capricornis

ORA Pink Birdsnest

ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest

ORA Miami Orchid

Green Capricornis

ORA Green Bali Slimer

Green Digitata

Blue Polyp Digitata

Turquoise Mili

Blue Tortuosa

Green Stylophora

Mushrooms & zoas:

Pulsing Xenias

Ricordeas Florida - 2x Orange and 2 x Turquiose / blue

Ricordea Yuma - Green / Purple, pink

Green button polyps

Armor of God zoanthids (2 diff morphs)

Hulk Zoanthids

Purple Hornet zoanthids

Blue zoanthids

Green Dragon eye Zoanthids

Watermelon zoanthids

Yellow Finger Gorgonian

Inverts

Porcelain Crab

Halloween hermit crab

Electric blue hermit

Zebra hermits

Fire shrimp

Peppermint shrimp

5 Zebra Turbo Snails

1 Fuzzy Chiton

50 Dwarf Cerith - Fuge

5 Nassarius

10 Nerite (small-medium)

10 Virgin Nerite

10 Zig Zag Periwinkles

Stars

Bristle

Serpent

Gear

29 gallon - 30x18x12

AI Sol Blue

Eshopps PSK100

24" HOB Fuge

Tunze ATO

Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer

mp10

UV Sterilizer

Jan 29 2012 - Start date

01-Jan29.jpg

March 13 2012

07-Mar13.jpg

April 26 2012

12-April26.jpg

July 28 2012

7-30-2012_fulltank-1.jpg

Great tank, good job bringing it back from the brink! I love that pink cat's paw, I might be looking to add one of those to my tank :)

lagunastudio

Did some upgrades to the tank.. my wires where in a ball of tangled fire hazard. Contained my electrics, installed a GFCI, installed tunze ato and built a top

gfic.jpg

electrics.jpg

top.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lagunastudio

April 26 2012

SPS - Birds of Paradise

13-BOP.jpg

Ricordeas

14-RicG.jpg

SPS - Pink Cat's Paw

15-CatsPaw.jpg

Pulsing Xenia

16-PX.jpg

Kenia Tree

17-KT.jpg

Male Black Ocellaris

18-MC.jpg

Six Line Wrasse / Frogs Spawn

20-SLFS2.jpg

Pair of Scissortail Gobies - RIP the female, jumped to her death

20-ST.jpg

Female Black Ocellaris

21-MCF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
lagunastudio

Few new frags - blue tort, green digi, blue digi, unknown mili, galaxea and ORA Green Bali Slimmer. Traded the pink stylo, it was to expert for me, it started turning brown. So i traded it to a guy with much better lights. it will be happier in its new 220 gallon paradise.

I woke up one morning and tried to fix one loose rock, tumbled them and broke a birdsnest branch... then ended up redoing the rock scape again.. I will never build a scape wet again...

Blue Tort

bluetort_5-21.jpg

Green & Blue Digi

Geen-Blue-Digi_5-21.jpg

zoas

zoas_5-21.jpg

frogskin acro

frogskin.jpg

slimer

BaliSlimer-5-21.jpg

ORA birds of paradise - my favorite sps

BOP-5-21.jpg

lagunastudio

I've decided to reverse my fuge and DT lights. Thus far the fuge light has been on at the same time as my actinic which turn on 2 hours before and go off 2 hours after my daylight display. I've noticed some significant ph swings so I'm hoping this will help. But I'm a bit concerned that green hair and algae is going to take off during the day in my DT.

I got frustrated with 5 rather large turbo snails I had and donated them to a LFS. Within a few weeks my tank blew up with green hair algae and a thick layer of detritus on the LR. I quickly invested in a diverse collection of snails from reefcleaners.org and bought 5 small and one large turbo locally. My fish tank looks clean as a whistle now... That reminds me, when I was in 2nd grade I moved to Texas from Atlanta.. I remember all kids in my classes saying they had tanks in their back yards with twangy accients. I thought they meant army tanks, but they meant ponds..

• 3 weeks later...
lagunastudio

I added the avast K1 to my system with the hopes of keeping my alk and ca more steady. I also added the DIY fuge light cover someone on this forum posted - great idea it works really well.

I'm soon upgrading lights to the AI sol blue and am pretty stoked. The Coralife Lunar Aqua Light is about half way there. Acros really don't grow that well under this light. The only sps I'm having luck with are bird's next and caps.

Here are a couple photos of the back.. My stand was a gift but I really really wish I had a stand with a closed cabinet. I never anticipated getting this fanatical about reef gear..

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

lagunastudio

AI sol blue in the mail.. thinking I'll mount it with a bent conduit, still trying to figure that out.

I hope going LED is the right decision, we'll see..

lagunastudio

The AI Sol Blue came last night - thanks Gil (nano-reef user sold it to me). It's up and running. I spent $35 on a DIY conduit mount in all white, the bracket I made to hold the light is temporary. I'm just going to buy some mounting rails, mine creation looks kind of ghetto. I'm blown away by this light my zoas look better than ever, the T5 fixture I was using doesn't touch this one. Everything looked so drab and yellow before and now all of the colors are really popping. I am a bit concerned I'm going to need to buy another unit because the width of the AI sol blues light is about the size of a pocket flashlight. Probably going to buy the 70º optic lenses to see if that will help.

Here are a few pictures -

FullTank-NewLight.jpg

zoas2.jpg

zoas1.jpg

frogspawn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lagunastudio

Picked up 'Armor of Gods' zoas this weekend, they are dime size and very beautiful. The LFS keeps their coral under white lights and everything looks brown and green. When I put them in my tank they immediately opened and look great.

Here is a cell phone picture of them, iphone is terrible with blue lights.

Screenshot2012-07-09at113542AM.png

• 3 weeks later...
lagunastudio

I probably broke every rule in the book today, but I've been really tired of the box of rocks. I drilled and mounted my live rock, don't know if this was a really bad thing to do to an established aquarium? I searched around a bit but couldn't find much info so I did it. I got shocked with my soaking wet drill and broke a lot of coral but finally finished up and feel like it was worth it. I need to order the 70º optics from AI to brighten up the corners and get rid of the lazer beam in the middle of my tank. Why AI doesn't ship the SOL blue with all 70º optics is beyond me.

I bought some new frags at premium aquatics yesterday, really good prices. Anyone in the indy area check it out. I'll post some pictures later, need an ID on one of them.

Before -

7-30-2012_fulltank-1.jpg

After -

8-6-2012_FullAquarium2.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

do yourself a favor and remove the pulsing pink xenias ASAP!!! Or else they WILL impede sps and softie growth at some point!

lagunastudio

Yeah, good call. I have them isolated on their own rocks and I keep them away from anything that they can branch on to. But I wasn't doing this when I first got them and have a couple rocks that are infested. They were growing a lot faster when I had T5s, the light was distributed more evenly. Now I just keep the rocks on the corners out of the direct light and they don't grow as fast. But you're right, I think I'm going to sell them soon.

SouthFlorida_Tron
Yeah, good call. I have them isolated on their own rocks and I keep them away from anything that they can branch on to. But I wasn't doing this when I first got them and have a couple rocks that are infested. They were growing a lot faster when I had T5s, the light was distributed more evenly. Now I just keep the rocks on the corners out of the direct light and they don't grow as fast. But you're right, I think I'm going to sell them soon.

i ditched mine as soon as i noticed they were blocking the growth of my monti cap, it was blowing up then all of a sudden stopped as soon as they touched, bye bye xenias!

they also grow faster if blasted with flow... so keep an eye on it!

lagunastudio

Yeah I think I'm going to put some photos on craigslist today. Your tank looks great by the way. I see you have the AI Sol Blue. What kind of tips do you have for improving SPS color?

Archived