Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Something wrong with my new acro?

M&C

I just got this blue acro tort in the mail yesterday. It looked great when I got it. I acclimated it, dipped it in Revive, and put it in my tank last night after the daylights went out. I noticed it was getting a little pale, but I expected as much after the stress of shipping/dipping. This morning, some of the color has come back, and some of the polyps have started extending a bit, but I noticed there was some brown stringy stuff on it. Could the brown stringy stuff be BJD?

This is my first SPS (along with an orange montipora cap that looks pretty good), so I hope whatever it is, it won't kill it. Idk if it matters, but just in case, my tank parameters as of yesterday are:

Temp: 78F

SG: 1.024

NO3/PO4: 0/0

Ca: 460

Mg: 1400

Alk: 7.8

pH: 8.1

Picture:

IMG_0155.jpg

How is the flow in that area? How did you acclimate it? Could be a slime over and algae on the acro, but in most case when my acros would do that, it didn't end good. Have you ever tried CoralRX.

How is the flow in that area? How did you acclimate it? Could be a slime over and algae on the acro, but in most case when my acros would do that, it didn't end good. Have you ever tried CoralRX.

Flow is med/low since it's sitting on the sandbed. I would have it in a higher flow area but I was trying to light-acclimate it here and gradually move it up the rocks. What would take priority here--higher flow or light acclimation?

I followed the SPS acclimation guide on this website found here, except I only used Revive, and no interceptor or flatworm remover.

I have not tried CoralRX. Everyone seems to have their own preference for coral dips, so I just went with Revive. It's worked well on my LPS and softies.

Try blowing it off gently with a baster. There might be a lack of flow in that area.

The flow is not what I would call high. Medium at the most. I blew the stringy bits off with a baster, and the frag looks clean again. Could this mean maybe it was just stressed and sliming, and some algae or w/e got caught up in the slime turning it brown? Like I said, aside from the brown stringy stuff, it doesn't look terrible. Some of the polyps are out, and there is some color returning. I guess the best thing I can do is watch and wait?

It's not going to make it. You might of dip it a little to long

I dipped them for 25 minutes, exactly like the instructions recommend. I don't know why that thread would be stickied if the procedure was more likely to kill the coral than clean it. In fact, what I did was probably less stressful than the procedure given, since I did not use interceptor or flatworm remover.

I'm seeing some tissue necrosis on the botttom where it's turning white. Could be STN. Keep an eye on it and if the necrosis progresses up more, be prepared to frag the healthy areas.

Good Luck with it.

When I get corals online I just temperature acclimate for the simple fact that they go through enough stress being shipped. I do dip before they enter my tank though with CoralRX. Interceptor is good , but can get pricey.

Wait it out. The acro frag I had looked 10x worse when I got it, now it's growing and coloring up nicely.

It made me feel better reading that. I won't expect the same result, though. I'll just keep my water quality pristine and hope for the best.

As I said, I am new to SPS. I understand that these corals require extra care. Is there anything better I can do when I purchase frags like this in the future to prevent having this happen again? Or should I just expect that not all of my frags will make it?

colormyheart
I'm seeing some tissue necrosis on the botttom where it's turning white. Could be STN. Keep an eye on it and if the necrosis progresses up more, be prepared to frag the healthy areas.

Good Luck with it.

+1

Archived