inTank Media Baskets

Patricks Third Monitor

prdoring

5/9/2012 New FTS!

IMGP0194.JPG

IMGP0187.JPG

Hi all!

I have been lurking for some time trying to consider my entry point into nano-reefing. A few weeks back I had the idea to turn one of my fresh water tanks into a nano-reef... then the lurking got serious. After a bit I decided to just say screw it and I ordered a 14g biocube.

So my stuff is coming in the mail and I figured I would start my log here. So here is the rundown.

What I Have Bought

• Coralife BioCube PC/LED Fish Tank, 14 Gallons
  • Hydrometer Refractometer (And never looking back)
  • 50W Heater
  • Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 240 gph
  • API Salt Water Master Kit
  • Hydor FLO deflector
  • Aiptasia X
  • Filter Floss
  • Eggcrate (Media Rack Material)
  • Corrugated Plastic (Media Rack Material)
  • Digital Timer Surge Protector

Mods

• Chamber 1 False Bottom Removal
  • 1/2 Overflow Tab Removal
  • DIY chamber 2 media rack
  • Hydor FLO

Planned Mods

• Mid Chamber fuge
  • Fan Upgrade (If Needed)
  • (~4-6 months from now) DIY led lighting
  • (~4-6 months from now) DIY Ethernet controlled lighting / heat

The lighting and Ethernet controller mod will be built sometime in the future (I.E. When I have enough time to build/program the system)

I have a really decent LFS close by so I will be buying live rock/sand and any stock from them.

Planned Stock

• 2 Clowns
  • Goby of some description
  • ?

Planned Corals

• Frogspawn
  • Hammer
  • Various Ricordea
  • Various Zoanthid
  • More.. but above is what I know I will be getting.

As far as CUC goes... this will depend on LFS stock and the algae/pests I encounter while cycling.

I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Even boring ones of boxes showing up, and me hugging the mail man!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

04-12-2012

Halfway through work my tank arrived!

Eight hours later I came home and made the following modifications.

• Removed False Bottom
  • Removed Balls
  • Removed Sponges
  • Removed flow restricting tab from chamber 1-2

Then I set it up for a wet-test. Everything Is working like a charm! I am super excited for my third monitor.

IMGP0080.jpg

So Saturday morning I will be going down to my LFS to pick up some live rock/sand RO/DI and Premixed H2o and some filter floss.

I plan on doing a fuge in chamber 2, so my question is... when in the cycle is a good time to add Chaeto?

altolamprologus

Hey, your plans sound great so far. Only suggestion I have is to ditch the hydrometer and invest in a refractometer. They're only like $50 but are so much more accurate than hydrometers.

Add the chaeto a few days to a week after you add your rock. If you add it right away, there won't be any nutrients for it and it could die

ditch the hydrometer and invest in a refractometer

If LFS is not super overpriced I will pick one up there... If not I will go home and immediately order one :)

i would add the chaeto once your cycle ends. there is no reason to add it that early. are you going to order a media basket?

altolamprologus
i would add the chaeto once your cycle ends. there is no reason to add it that early. are you going to order a media basket?

Actually there is a reason. Chaeto sucks up all the nitrates produced during the cycle and any phosphates that may leach from the rock thus preventing algae outbreaks after the cycle :)

are you going to order a media basket?

I will most likely build one I have most of the tools and supplies on hand... just need a lazy Sunday to do it.

Actually there is a reason. Chaeto sucks up all the nitrates produced during the cycle and any phosphates that may leach from the rock thus preventing algae outbreaks after the cycle :)

oh, i just figured the amonia and nitrite would not be good for it

altolamprologus
oh, i just figured the amonia and nitrite would not be good for it

Algae actually tolerate those quite well. And in the absence of nitrate they will use ammonia as a nitrogen source. I actually cycled my last tank with chaeto and in the few months it's been up, I have not had a single nuisance algae pop up

Ok! Rock and sand in!

IMGP0085.jpg

Check it out!

IMGP0086.jpg

Pretty nice scape huh! Just kidding... Here it is +2 hours

IMGP0089.jpg

IMGP0090.jpg

Starting to clear up I guess... Later tonight when it is a bit clearer, I will post a few scape shots for opinions.

Also I found this dude on one of my rocks, any idea what it is?

IMGP0088.jpg

Welcome to BioCube land. I give it two months before you are wanting to upgrade! :P

Haha yes, In my fw days I caught a bad case of MTS and upgrade fever. It will take all of my willpower to not to let it get out of had this time :P For now hopefully the 14 will keep me sane :)

I only say that because we started with a betta on my desk, then a Glofish tank for the kids, then the Biocube SW tank, then a pico SW on my desk. Now I'm running three tanks and wishing for a bigger SW! :lol:

I only say that because we started with a betta on my desk, then a Glofish tank for the kids, then the Biocube SW tank, then a pico SW on my desk. Now I'm running three tanks and wishing for a bigger SW! :lol:

Yeah this is my first SW endeavor... If it goes well... I have a 5g sitting in a closet just itching to become a pico...

On a side note... does anyone have an ID on whatever that last picture was?

altolamprologus

Give in to MTS!!! I have 4 permanent tanks+a quarantine tank+copepod cultures+guppy breeding bucket+ I take care of my brother's 3 freshwater tanks. MTS FTW!!!!

+guppy breeding bucket

Ahhh the guppy... those little jerks are what got me into this hobby :) Natural progression: Small FW->LargeFW->Small Reef-> I'm screwed :P

altolamprologus
Ahhh the guppy... those little jerks are what got me into this hobby :) Natural progression: Small FW->LargeFW->Small Reef-> I'm screwed :P

They got me into it too. Now I just breed feeder guppies to feed to my bangaii cardinalfish :lol:

The tank was a bit clearer this morning, so I was able to get some shots of the scape... What do you guys think?... any suggestions?

IMGP0098.jpg

IMGP0099.jpg

IMGP0100.jpg

So the one hitchhiker from earlier turned out to be an aiptasia, I hit it with aiptasia X so hopefully I got it before an outbreak.

But heres a new one! Anyone have any idea what this is? Its quite small, and much more green in person. It has a very green center that fades to a brownish green on the tips.

IMGP0113.jpg

IMGP0114.jpg

Is the back left rock one big piece? I think you might like it better if you break it into 2 or 3 pieces so you can make a nicer shape with some caves or an arch, etc.

Is the back left rock one big piece? I think you might like it better if you break it into 2 or 3 pieces so you can make a nicer shape with some caves or an arch, etc.

Yes it is, but the picture is deceiving, It is quite flat, only about a half inch thick so I have it butted up against the back wall to create a sort-of backdrop.

OK Did my first water test tonight... the results are strange.

PH : 8.0

Amonia : 0

Nitrite : 0

Nitrate : 20ppm

Why is my tank reading like it is cycled? Its way to early for this reading... any ideas?

Archived