ReefCleaners.org

I Pet my Octopus Daily

Criley7

Current FTS

a29cee1a.jpg

Any suggestion are welcome. Im still new to this area of animal keeping.

Equipment & Filtration:

- HOB Refugium with cheato, Live sand & Live rock.

- 12" T5 light for fuge

- 150w Hydor heater

- Petco 295pgh power head

- AquaC Remora HOB Protein Skimmer

I feed live and frozen foods daily, so in turn I also have to remove crab shells, fish bones, and shrimp pieces daily to keep nitrates down. No CUC has survived yet so I'm not sure what things I could add the take care of algae & detritus.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a friend who had a drilled tank. It made its way over the overflow and down the drain to the sump even before it spilled over.. so yeah if your gonna have an overflow make sure you cap it and just have a toothed weir.

They don't need alot of light.. great for a NPS tank actually.. and flow in the aquarium.. gentle to medium flow.. they will get sucked into powerheads/korlias etc if theyare in the tank as well (not always but its possible)

+1 to lid. Octopi can fit through holes you wouldn't even imagine.

Does anyone have experience feeding them frozen shrimp or scallops?

I am also up for other ideas for turning this tank into something else, but it's got to be cooler to my wife than this Octopi would be.

Had a friend who had a drilled tank. It made its way over the overflow and down the drain to the sump even before it spilled over.. so yeah if your gonna have an overflow make sure you cap it and just have a toothed weir.

They don't need alot of light.. great for a NPS tank actually.. and flow in the aquarium.. gentle to medium flow.. they will get sucked into powerheads/korlias etc if theyare in the tank as well (not always but its possible)

Im just gonna use LR scape and a left over AC50 for filtration, so no overflow.

Be sure to check out Tonmo.com. That's where all the ceph keeper hang out and there's tons of info on anything you could want to know.

He fed his all sortsa meaty foods from the grocery store (seafoods) and If you use the ac50 I would make an overflow area for it.. and a top over the overflow.. or atleast a broad shield around the intake so he don't try to wrap around it and get stuck..they are strong but they are also soft tissue..

as for an idea for the tank other than octopi... well dwarf seahorses come to mind.. seagrass and other macro in it.. 10k daylights is all you really need for it.. have to feed em BBS though so hatching a batch ever other day (2 hatcheries should be enough)

and they will readily breed for you .. and the larger babies eat BBS also so no need to remove the kiddies until they are old enough to sell. Unless you want to move em anyways.

I want to breed seahorses again some day.. used to years ago before all the advancements in aquariums of today.. much harder back then.. (pre internet)

gulfsurfer101

Im my oponion, otcto tanks are really boring, unless you like staring at a box o rocks

My merc would hide all day and only come out in complete darkness. I had more fun collecting live food for him in sargassum patches that would be rolling in the surf near shore. Lots of interesting little critters in that stuff that made for live feeders. Honestly that's the only time I would see life in that tank.

I have to agree that they are kinda stale.. but they are exciting when you throw a live crab or such in there and they go into predator mode.. also they will ink if startled.. something simple as opening a door with the hall light on and it suddenly becomes light when it was dark could cause em to ink..

loads of carbon and water changes are your only hope otherwise in a small system they will poison themselves.

as far as feeding frozen foods they will gladely except them. i lived on the coast when i had mine so i would just go catch snails and crabs for him. put a few in the tank and the rest in that container.

As far as power heads. he never got sucked into mine. not to say yours wont. you should cover then with the little black sponge thing.

for the lid just go to petco or whatever that sells those galvanized lids. thats what i did, and bought those safety clips that keep it latched down

Tonmo.com. is a really great site to learn all about them.

and i never found my octo boring, he was always doing something. very entertaining. you will find diy toys and stuff to make for them and keep them entertained as well as yourself.

Mine lived his full life which really isnt long. most octos live about 1 - 1.5 years in captivity.

An octopus is something I would truly enjoy keeping. I'd love to give them a jar with reef cookies and watch them open. Maybe I'll name him Santa and give him some sea milk to go along with the cookies, who knows.

that's cool as hell to keep one. i'd love to but i heard they are hard to keep (i haven't done research on them just from what i've glanced at)

Very cool! LFs here in Victoria BC (Blueworld aquariums) has managed to keep a dwarf cuttle fish alive and well for over 3 months now and she's already recognizing hand signals for feeding. Way cool.

People catch them and eat them here; they call it "tako poki" when they chop them up, cook them and season them.

I don't like it very much, but I enjoy the idea of keeping an octopus in a 55 or something like that.

He fed his all sortsa meaty foods from the grocery store (seafoods) and If you use the ac50 I would make an overflow area for it.. and a top over the overflow.. or atleast a broad shield around the intake so he don't try to wrap around it and get stuck..they are strong but they are also soft tissue..

as for an idea for the tank other than octopi... well dwarf seahorses come to mind.. seagrass and other macro in it.. 10k daylights is all you really need for it.. have to feed em BBS though so hatching a batch ever other day (2 hatcheries should be enough)

and they will readily breed for you .. and the larger babies eat BBS also so no need to remove the kiddies until they are old enough to sell. Unless you want to move em anyways.

I want to breed seahorses again some day.. used to years ago before all the advancements in aquariums of today.. much harder back then.. (pre internet)

That's food to know. My Octo is gonna be eating better than me.. Hahaha

026.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

007.jpg

51b9ddbb.jpg

keeping their food in a box will keep him entertained.

Thanks for the picture and the vote of confidence.

An octopus is something I would truly enjoy keeping. I'd love to give them a jar with reef cookies and watch them open. Maybe I'll name him Santa and give him some sea milk to go along with the cookies, who knows.

Haha

Very cool! LFs here in Victoria BC (Blueworld aquariums) has managed to keep a dwarf cuttle fish alive and well for over 3 months now and she's already recognizing hand signals for feeding. Way cool.

That's awesome

Ahh delicious. When I was in Kona I ate it every day.

+1

Peacock Mantis Shrimp !

I showed my wife a picture and she though it was "pretty" so I dont know if it will satisfy her.

Get one of those blue spot tropical guys, that will make your life interesting!

Seriously, I think its a great idea as long as you really research this well.

Get one of those blue spot tropical guys, that will make your life interesting!

Seriously, I think its a great idea as long as you really research this well.

Yea I want a blue ringed and so does the wife, but I believe their toxin is one on the mist poisonous in the world.

Yea I want a blue ringed and so does the wife, but I believe their toxin is one on the mist poisonous in the world.

Yeah I believe it is. Some wife you've got! That's great.

Archived