ReefCleaners.org

Giving a pico a shot!

coley54

SAM_0468.jpg

Alright...I'm gonna do it! Here's my entry. I picked up a 2.5 gallon tank at a garage sale this weekend for a whopping $3! I'm going to clean it up tonight and spray paint the back tomorrow and then fill it this weekend. I have the salt and the live sand but need to get the live rock. Maybe I'll fill the tank with water and live sand and then pick up the rock this weekend. I have a Koralia Nano 245 that I'm going to try in there. Hopefully there won't be too much flow. I have a light coming, hopefully it is enough, lol. And not sure what else I'm going to do with it yet.

Equipment

2.5 gallon tank - 12x6x8

Koralia Nano 240

UP AQUA LED lighting (good thing I have some time to see if its going to work out for me before we have to have our stuff finalized!!)

I'm thinking of doing a sexy shrimp tank...I've always wanted them. Alright...thats my start. Lets see how it goes!

Welcome to the contest! Glad to have you on board. The list of entrants seems to grow larger every day, everyone hopping on board before April 1st. I love those little 2.5 gallon tanks, nice blank canvas to work with. Have fun, and Good Luck!

contest judge

Meta

Well, the fishtank gods were smiling down on me today! I got sent on an errand for work and when I saw the address I realized it was a place in the same plaza as my usual LFS!!! YAY!!! So I made it a point to leave at like...10 to 11 so I could go in, tell them what I need, go run the errand and swing through on my way out to see the live rock that they had selected for me and tell them to bag it up cause I'm taking it! I'm going to have water in my tank tonight! WOOHOO! I painted it last night with a Matte black. It looks really good. Can't wait til the lights I bought (I've purchased 3 different lights to see what I like best...) to come in to see how it all looks! Woohoo! I'll update my pictures tonight!!

Tonight I promise! It was still entirely too cloudy looking to take pics last night. It was looking much clearer this morning and should be all settled by the time I get home from work!

Alright, here is what I've got. The water is mostly clear but I'm not happy with how its set up. I need to hide my powerhead I think. So I need to play around with my rock some. And I might wait til I get my heater this weekend to do the rearranging...the less my hands are in the tank the better right?? So here's what I've got so far. Thats not my light. It hasn't arrived yet so thats a standard household light just so you can see whats going on in there. I haven't noticed any HH's yet but its still early. :)

SAM_0471.jpg

Oh...and it looks like I should clean my glass, lolol.

I had a nano power head in my 2.5 also, it was creating a massive sand storm. I am running an ac 50 for filtration and it is even got all my sand moved around in piles, so the nano might be too much for these tanks.

I feel like its too much flow right now. No sandstorm but I came home today and all the sand is a huge pile, lol. I'm working on getting an AC50 (maybe a 70) but for now and for my cycle it'll have to do.

yeah for sure I had the hardest time with that powerhead in my AGA 2.5. I ended up using a small utility pump with a tip I put on.

Nothing new here...just waiting on my cycle. Not even a sign of any ammonia yet. I don't think I had any die off from my live rock. AC50 should be here today or tomorrow. I'll mod that and get it in the tank and take out the powerhead and then rearrange rock. I'm ready to get moving!!

So the live rock I bought have a ton of purple on them but you really can't tell right now...its covered in a white film. I'm not totally sure what to do here but I'm thinking I'll let it ride for a few days...see how it goes. I'll leave a couple pics below. Thats not the final scape, my koralia 240 has too much power for this tank, lol. Its just pushing sand everywhere.

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

AC50 go here today. I bought it off someone used so I plugged it in with water and all that to make sure it was going to run...holy crap is this thing loud!!!! No idea whats wrong with it...i cleaned the impeller and checked the tubes for cracks. Crazy. Bought a replacement impeller because it sounds like its bouncing around in there...hopefully that fixes my issue!

Cheese-Lover
AC50 go here today. I bought it off someone used so I plugged it in with water and all that to make sure it was going to run...holy crap is this thing loud!!!! No idea whats wrong with it...i cleaned the impeller and checked the tubes for cracks. Crazy. Bought a replacement impeller because it sounds like its bouncing around in there...hopefully that fixes my issue!

My AC70 was so loud that I *fixed* it with a canister filter.

Now its silent. >.> (pics will be on my thread in about 10 min.)

I *fixed* it after replacing the impeller TWICE and the pump-body once. And this was on a brand new one.

Cheese-Lover
Well thats frustrating...

It is. And if you want to see my *fix* Click on the first link in my sig. >.>

I saw it! Its pretty cool! However, if I get another filter to fix my filter, I think my husband will kill me, lol.

Cheese-Lover
I saw it! Its pretty cool! However, if I get another filter to fix my filter, I think my husband will kill me, lol.

Any external pump will do. Doesn't have to be a canister. For me it had the added benefit of coming from an established tank...

But best not get murdered over a filter. Save that for when he sees how much stocking it will cost.

Archived