Top Shelf Aquatics

CH2iS's 20L "Getting Back Into The Hobby" Build

CH2iS

REINTRODUCTION: 03.09.2012

After several years of "taking a break" from Reef Keeping I decided recently to get back into the hobby. Browsing forums like this one and RC, it made me realize how much I miss it. I have also notice several innovations in the hobby itself from products to methods of keeping a reef. With all the information I needed gathered, I went out and purchase a 20L tank that I've always considered setting up as a nano back then when I was still active. The 20L was my favorite nano tank for a long time because of it's foot print. After the purchase I gave it some more thought about am I really ready and decided the only way I will commit is if this time around I keep it simple. Simplicity is key in my build. Minimal equipment to keep it going and healthy. Just water changes every week or two and testing to keep perimeters in check. With all that said lets begin with some pictures of the build in progress :)

EQUIPMENT LIST:

1. 150W MH SETUP

2. Ecotech Marine VORTECH MP10W ES

3. EHEIM Hobby Pump Model 1250

4. 2 - EHEIM Jager 50W Heater

5. 2 - Two Little Fish Phosban Reactor 150

CURRENTLY: 03.25.2012

The tank is a VISIO 20L 30.5"x12.5"x13 13/16" and the back was spray painted black. Since I still had diamond hole bits from back then, I drilled out a couple holes for drains and a return. Stand was built using some slatted bed base from my old IKEA Malm bed frame. It will be finished once I get all the things like plumbing ideas, lighting, ATO and filtration down. Plus I still need to test the plumbing :P. Overflow box was cut by a local plastic shop and I finished it up with some acrylic Weld On glue and attached it to the back wall of the tank using Silicone. While at the plastic shop for the overflow box I also decided to pick up scrap acrylic pieces for baffles that I will use later for the sump. I then went to Petco and purchased a regular 10 gallon to use as a sump and cut/silicone all the baffles in place. The overflow is going to be a Herbie style setup. I have read great things about how quiet it is so decided to give it a shot. This whole setup is going to be in my bedroom so a near silent running system is paramount. Any ideas, thoughts, inputs or questions is greatly appreciated.

ch2is20l02.jpg

ch2is20l01.jpg

ch2is20l00.jpg

ch2is20l04.jpg

ch2is20l09.jpg

ch2is20l08.jpg

ch2is20l07.jpg

ch2is20l06.jpg

ch2is20l10.jpg

ch2is20l05.jpg

20120401174545.jpg

20120401190901.jpg

This looks like it's going to be an awesome build!

I am literally thinking of doing the same set up. 20 long display (such an awesome nano reef size) with a 10 gallon (possibly 20H) sump. I will probably build my own stand as well, exactly like yours. I'm not very confident in my woodworking skills, was the stand difficult to build?

Haha I am honestly going to take note of this entire set up and use it as a blueprint for my set up. I will be following your progress closely!

I really like it so far! I'm setting up a 20L upgrade from my current 10G in a month or two, so I'll follow your progress! :) I don't know if I'll be doing a sump, although I'd really like to.

This looks like it's going to be an awesome build!

I am literally thinking of doing the same set up. 20 long display (such an awesome nano reef size) with a 10 gallon (possibly 20H) sump. I will probably build my own stand as well, exactly like yours. I'm not very confident in my woodworking skills, was the stand difficult to build?

Haha I am honestly going to take not of this entire set up and use it as a blueprint for my set up. I will be following your progress closely!

Haha much thanks for the kind words. The stand wasn't very hard to put together. I've built many in the past for several size tanks. Experience and patience is key. Especially if your new to woodworking, I would put emphasis on patience for sure. Measure 3 times and cut once as my dad always says. I find drawing out the plans and checking out some at your LFS will help a lot. Take note of how they are put together at the LFS and go home plan out which direction you would like to go with. Frame or no frame. I was going to go with a no frame type of stand but 3/4" birch plywood was so expensive so I opted for a frame type stand. frameless is so much better looking though and not to mention gives you more precious space inside your stand. I may go that route down the road if i find i need more room underneath as we always somehow do :rolleyes: . Please let me know what you decide and maybe if your nearby I can help with tools/hands needed. All I used was my mitre saw, drill/driver, gorilla wood glue and the plans in my head. The build will be a slow and methodological one so I hope you stick around ;) .

That's an awesome overflow design. I may steal that for my 30.

Go for it! I'm here to share. It's 6.5"L x 2 3/4W" x 4"H. I wanted the smallest footprint possible for a "Herbie" and used the RC overflow size calculator to figure out the linear size for GPH I needed. I then had it cut larger then recommended to compensate for loss GPH from overflow teeth. Please update me on your design and project. Would love to see what you come up with :).

I really like it so far! I'm setting up a 20L upgrade from my current 10G in a month or two, so I'll follow your progress! :) I don't know if I'll be doing a sump, although I'd really like to.

I was in the same boat .. Couldn't decide on sump or HOB Refugium that ran the length of the tank. Both ways required at least 5" of space behind the tank and both ways work great from my experience. I finally decided on a sump because of the ATO I wanted to have done and didn't like the fact that with a HOB the pump and return are inside the main tank.

Can't wait to see your upgrade build! Keep me posted if you remember to. If not I will just look out for all my fellow 20L reef keepers. They should really have individual forums for Picos all the way to 50 gal. tanks or whatever is the limit for nanos. That would make life so much simpler to search for you guys :lol:.

Go for it! I'm here to share. It's 6.5"L x 2 3/4W" x 4"H. I wanted the smallest footprint possible for a "Herbie" and used the RC overflow size calculator to figure out the linear size for GPH I needed. I then had it cut larger then recommended to compensate for loss GPH from overflow teeth. Please update me on your design and project. Would love to see what you come up with :).

Thanks for the info. I know it won't flow quite as high as a bulkhead that's oriented vertically, but hell if I use 1.5" I should be good for the 3-400 gph I'll be pushing. I can then use a ballhead to fine tune it and it makes having a backup overflow very easy. I like how it is only at the top, as the design I was palnning just ran durso style pipes from the bottom and took some of the tank's footprint obviously. The inhabitant I want is often said to need more than 30, with that as a minimum so conserving tank space is a must.

Is it just acrylic fused together? That seems much easier to me than having to have the glass cut by someone although I'm more comfortable with silicone.

Thanks for the info. I know it won't flow quite as high as a bulkhead that's oriented vertically, but hell if I use 1.5" I should be good for the 3-400 gph I'll be pushing. I can then use a ballhead to fine tune it and it makes having a backup overflow very easy. I like how it is only at the top, as the design I was palnning just ran durso style pipes from the bottom and took some of the tank's footprint obviously. The inhabitant I want is often said to need more than 30, with that as a minimum so conserving tank space is a must.

Is it just acrylic fused together? That seems much easier to me than having to have the glass cut by someone although I'm more comfortable with silicone.

Space is precious for me too in smaller tanks! I actually used Weld On 4 glue specific for acrylic only. Basically the glue fuses the pieces together creating a water tight seal if done right. Make a jig, make sure it's super straight and place your two pieces of acrylic on it and place them the way you want the pieces to go. Place pins between the area you are going to glue and use the needle on the bottle to fill the gaps that the pins created with glue and gently pull the pins out once you have the glue fully spread across the seams to be attached together. Silicone IS much easier though ..

What drill size did you use to cut your overflow holes and what size bulkheads did you use? Also what is that green flex tubing you appear to use for your return pluming and its diameter? it looks like it would be really nice to work with.

What drill size did you use to cut your overflow holes and what size bulkheads did you use? Also what is that green flex tubing you appear to use for your return pluming and its diameter? it looks like it would be really nice to work with.

I am going with the minimal turnover rate *or slower if possible* of 10X the volume of water that I will have which is 250-300 GPH so I am using 3/4" bulkheads. This was all base off RC's overflow/bulkhead size calculator. The diamond hole saw size used was 38mm for 3/4" bulkheads. You will need a 60mm diamond hole saw for a 1.5" bulkhead and I believe I have one brand new I'm not going to be using anytime soon. Just pay shipping and I can send to you or find them online. Should be roughly under $15 bucks or less. 1.5" hole is quite large and I'm pretty sure you can get away with 1" drain for a 30 gallon. 1" bulkhead will require a 45mm diamond hole saw. What turnover rate are you looking at? 10X, 20X, 30X etc will determine hole/overflow size. The green tubing is EHEIM 1/2" tubing very soft and flexible. It is easy to work with and they come in several sizes. My LFS sells them locally and suggested I purchase this type of tubing over your standard clear ones. I hear it's also green to inhibit algae growth inside it from what I was told at the LFS :unsure:.

I was in the same boat .. Couldn't decide on sump or HOB Refugium that ran the length of the tank. Both ways required at least 5" of space behind the tank and both ways work great from my experience. I finally decided on a sump because of the ATO I wanted to have done and didn't like the fact that with a HOB the pump and return are inside the main tank.

Can't wait to see your upgrade build! Keep me posted if you remember to. If not I will just look out for all my fellow 20L reef keepers. They should really have individual forums for Picos all the way to 50 gal. tanks or whatever is the limit for nanos. That would make life so much simpler to search for you guys :lol:.

Thanks :) I don't think I'm confident enough in my plumbing skills, and since the tank isn't even at my own house, I can't have it flooding. I think I'm going to go with an AC 70 or 110 with an inTank basket with some kind of macro. Next best thing in my mind.

Thanks :) I don't think I'm confident enough in my plumbing skills, and since the tank isn't even at my own house, I can't have it flooding. I think I'm going to go with an AC 70 or 110 with an inTank basket with some kind of macro. Next best thing in my mind.

Cool beans. Haha, like you are going through the same decisions I was going through! I have a brand new AC 110 that i thought about too! That thing has been sitting on my shelf for ages lol. Anyway, sounds like a good plan and I can't wait to see it :). What are you planning on keeping? Lighting setup?

You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions of the wood that you cut for the stand would you?

I'm going to make this same frame, it looks nice and sturdy, but not overly complex. I'll also probably add magnetic, removable panels around the outside for aesthetics.

Cool beans. Haha, like you are going through the same decisions I was going through! I have a brand new AC 110 that i thought about too! That thing has been sitting on my shelf for ages lol. Anyway, sounds like a good plan and I can't wait to see it :). What are you planning on keeping? Lighting setup?

Thanks :) I'm not sure if the 110 will be too big/too powerful? Not sure.

I plan on transferring everything over, so I will have my firefish, any snails that are still kicking, but I might take my hermit crab to the LFS, cuz he seems to kill all snails, even ones that are too small and he can't take their shell. And he knocks everything over.

Other than the firefish, there has been much debate. I've asked around at my LFS's for a Tanaka's pygmy wrasse, and someone else recommended a pink streak wrasse (kinda like a 6line but smaller and friendlier), and I also really like Rainford's/hector's gobies, but I'm worried about feeding them.

What about you? Maybe I can steal one of your ideas :P

You wouldn't happen to have the dimensions of the wood that you cut for the stand would you?

I'm going to make this same frame, it looks nice and sturdy, but not overly complex. I'll also probably add magnetic, removable panels around the outside for aesthetics.

Yes, they are 36"Lx2.5"Wx0.5"H I believe, but I cut them down to 24.5" so my stand sits 1" over 4ft. Panels are awesome when you need space to work underneath. I have done that to my last two stands in the past and it worked out great.

Thanks :) I'm not sure if the 110 will be too big/too powerful? Not sure.

I plan on transferring everything over, so I will have my firefish, any snails that are still kicking, but I might take my hermit crab to the LFS, cuz he seems to kill all snails, even ones that are too small and he can't take their shell. And he knocks everything over.

Other than the firefish, there has been much debate. I've asked around at my LFS's for a Tanaka's pygmy wrasse, and someone else recommended a pink streak wrasse (kinda like a 6line but smaller and friendlier), and I also really like Rainford's/hector's gobies, but I'm worried about feeding them.

What about you? Maybe I can steal one of your ideas :P

Probably, for some it is. I figure its only slightly longer then the AC70 and the motor probably is slightly larger which can probably be dialed down to the AC70's GPH or replace/modify the impeller to serve purpose needed.

I hate when hermits start going skitzo like that .. I had one that did that and had to put him into the sump/refugium area years ago.

Really like gobies. Small, fun to watch and some pair with shrimp makes viewing entertaining at times.

As for me .. Most likely a mix reef like in the past with the easier SPS, Mushrooms, Acans, Zoanthids, GSP's, Xenias, maybe a Maxima/Deresa Clam, Platinum Clowns and whatever else catches my eye. I'm more of a collector now though :/. Always looking for that rare coral/fish. Not a good thing. My wallet hurts every time. Stocking is going to be a slow one since I don't like rushing like I did in the past. I've seen what that can do ..

Excited and can't wait to finish all the DIY for the tank and start shopping for a livestock list :wacko:

I'm stoked to see what you do with this :) Nice to see an experienced reefer starting up a 20L! All the fish I pick seem to be unavailable, at least in my area, anyway. I wish I had a friend I could ship to in Washington and go pick them up, ordering off LiveAquaria would be so awesome!

Mr. Microscope

Looks like you're doing things right! Great start. Can't wait to see more!

BTW, what are your plans for stocking?

I'm stoked to see what you do with this :) Nice to see an experienced reefer starting up a 20L! All the fish I pick seem to be unavailable, at least in my area, anyway. I wish I had a friend I could ship to in Washington and go pick them up, ordering off LiveAquaria would be so awesome!

Haha, I was on RC deleting all my old PM's and noticed the dates .. Damn I've been gone from this hobby a long time .. I have a friend that lives in Washington actually. Let me see where he lives at and see if he can help you out :)

Looks like you're doing things right! Great start. Can't wait to see more!

BTW, what are your plans for stocking?

Thanks! Most likely a mix reef like in the past with the easier SPS, Mushrooms, Acans, Zoanthids, GSP's, Xenias, maybe a Maxima/Deresa Clam, Platinum Clowns and whatever else catches my eye. I'm more of a collector now though :/. Always looking for that rare coral/fish. Not a good thing. My wallet hurts every time. Stocking is going to be a slow one since I don't like rushing like I did in the past. I've seen what that can do ..

I wanna see this thing with water :) very clean build!

thanks! me too! ahaha ..

im loving the scape man! keep up the good work

thanks! had to redo a little bit of it to fit more rocks but still similar in appearance. cant wait! :happydance:

leak test and so far so good fingerscrossed . this herbie overflow is simply amazing .. super quiet and the only noise i hear is the return pump hum :rolleyes: . hopefully the Eheim 1250 will be a lot quieter .. my room was at a good 36 decibels with the window open and now it is 37 decibels with the pump on & window open. thats seriously not much of a difference but i would still like it to be back to 36 decibels since with the window close it could be around 38-39 :scarry: .

leak test and so far so good fingerscrossed . this herbie overflow is simply amazing .. super quiet and the only noise i hear is the return pump hum :rolleyes: . hopefully the Eheim 1250 will be a lot quieter .. my room was at a good 36 decibels with the window open and now it is 37 decibels with the pump on & window open. thats seriously not much of a difference but i would still like it to be back to 36 decibels since with the window close it could be around 38-39 :scarry: .

looking great so far! I'm glad to hear that your overflow is quiet, I will certainly be designing mine in the same way now haha. How many Par 30 (38?) bulbs will you be using?

Archived