Pod Your Reef

MiniMalistic Pico by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

I decided to turn an old 5 gallon rimless tank into a pico by building in an AIO. I figure I will have about 3 gallons display space. The theme is "minimalistic" in the display, BB and a small dry rock island. LED lighting DIY ModularLED 18 watts. DIY bio-pellet reactor and skimmer. No fish, only inverts. See thread for details.

Just after the DIY AOI conversion

7013120575_004787924e_z.jpg

7013120921_473c7025e8_z.jpg

At 1 month:

6979079760_a7862ae893_z.jpg

At 5 months:

PicoFTSSept420122.jpg

EQUIPMENT

• 5 Gallon Rimless tank converted into an AIO
  • Ehiem 300 return pump ~80GPH
  • DIY up-flow Reactor (bio-pellets)
  • DIY air stone skimmer
  • DIY Cree LED fixture (ModularLED components)
  • Hydor Nano 240 GPH circulation pump
  • Aqueon 50w Pro Heater
  • Pinpoint temperature monitor/probe

DOSING

• Brightwell Aquatics (Ca, ALK, Mg, Iodine, MB7, GAC)
  • Zeovit (Coral Booster, K-Balance, Coral Snow, Pohl's Xtra, Sponge Power, AAHC, Amino Concentrate LPS)
  • Vertex (Bio-pellets)
  • RO water
  • DD H2O Ocean Pro Salt

FEEDING

• Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos-S (Liquid suspension)
  • Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast (Liquid suspension)
  • Hikari Mysis Shrimp (Frozen)
  • Omega One Pellets (Dry)

PARAMETERS

• SG/S: 1.025 ppt [Refractometer]
  • Temp: 78.5 F [Pinpoint Probe]
  • pH: 7.8 - 8.0 [Elos]
  • KH: 8.0 - 8.5 dKH [Elos]
  • Ca: 420-430 ppm [Elos]
  • Mg: 1400 ppm [Elos]
  • K: ~400 ppm [Elos]
  • I2: ~0.06 meq/L [seachem]
  • NO3: ~0 ppm [Elos]
  • PO4: 0.00 - 0.02 ppm [Hanna Checker]

LIVESTOCK

Coral

• Pinnigoroia flava "ORA Grubes Gorgonion"
  • Montipora tuberculosa
  • Monitipora digitata branching
  • Echinophyllia echinata X 2
  • Favia X 2

Inverts

• Venus Anemone Shrimp (Anclyomenes venustus)
  • Sexy Anemone Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)
  • Bumble Bee Shrimp (Gnathophyllum americanum)
  • Long Nose Shrimp (Leander plumosus)
  • Feather Duster Worm
  • Spiny Astrea Snails

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, I will be posting some progress photos soon. Also pics of my DIY nano reactor that will run GFO in the back compartment.

Fresh Water Test:

I put the rock in to see how it looked and cure the coral putty. Lighting used was just for the photo. Still have some work to do on the filtration and reactor but it's all coming along quite well.

6875755470_29143bb9a5_z.jpg

7021856533_ab89f2ee23_z.jpg

My DIY Pico Media Reactor. When you can't find it in the store you have to make it yourself. It stands just over 7" and has a foot print of 3" 1/2 X 2". It can hold up to 150mL of media. It is powered by an Eheim Compact 300 pump which delivers 40-80GPH (adjustable flow rate).

I plan to run about 75mL GFO (RowaPhos) in it. Testing starts tomorrow. Here's a couple of pictures.

7022155335_94ab0eb0f0_z.jpg

7022158603_bf89de8777_z.jpg

6876054576_606860c6ac_z.jpg

7022161007_91b9e2de70_z.jpg

How much to make me one lol.....seriously

Cost me around 10 bucks. I had the pump and most of the supplies at home. The GFO is $17. I made this to take me through the cycle and will keep it running 24/7 for the life of the tank.

aquariumpav
Cost me around 10 bucks. I had the pump and most of the supplies at home. The GFO is $17. I made this to take me through the cycle and will keep it running 24/7 for the life of the tank.

can you build another and post a step by step? please :)

can you build another and post a step by step? please :)

Well I may do in the future, I would like to test this one first for a while then update the design if needed. When I do I will post it here! :D

pm me what you want to build one. ill pay it lol

The water is in! Some pics taken minutes after adding the water. So far everything looks good. I dosed some MB7 just now.

So just to explain the filtration I have decided to go with...

In the reactor I have 50mL RowaPhos GFO and 30 mL of carbon.

I have a basket (I made) with Matrix, I decided to go with matrix in the back due to the fact I have little rock in the front. I wanted to have more bacterial media available. Matrix was the right product for the job.

I have floss just under the overflow. I made a box where I can easily replace the floss, it's right on top.

Also, I have a air stone confined in a tube to cut down on salt spray, this is temporary. My DIY skimmer will replace this in the near future. Return pump 80GPH and 50w Heater sits in the right chamber.

I just have some temporary lighting on top. My LED's arrived in the mail today so I will start that build soon.

7028630951_0576c20eaf_z.jpg

6882531030_94cc1f5efb_z.jpg

7028631727_e3d4a9dd5c_z.jpg

This is the DIY Pico Media Reactor before it went in the back of the tank. RowaPhos GFO is messy so I wanted to flush out the fines before putting it in the tank. I have some carbon in the top part.

7028630453_cb5478cabe_z.jpg

This looks really slick!

You said something about a DIY skimmer? any ideas on the design yet? I'm also trying to work out a way to build a nice skimmer (will have to be pretty enough to sit in the display...)

Following!

Jb

This looks really slick!

You said something about a DIY skimmer? any ideas on the design yet? I'm also trying to work out a way to build a nice skimmer (will have to be pretty enough to sit in the display...)

Following!

Jb

Thanks, I need to experiment a bit more using a small water pump, like the one shown on the reactor, and an air pump with a stone. I will post my skimmer build here when I get some time to work on it. I am in the middle of building my pico LED. Stay tuned, lol. :D

Wow, this build is amazing !!!!

Thanks, more building to come. The water went in yesterday, and I still have a pico skimmer to build. Stay tuned :D

I'm extremely impressed. Great use of space in the overflow area!

Thanks, I have a skimmer to go in as well, in a couple of weeks or so. Tank is cycling at the moment, no livestock for a while.

Archived