Top Shelf Aquatics

Willie's 10g Journey

Willie

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but have had saltwater tanks in the past. Long story short, my new tank includes the following:

Accessories:

10g all glass aquarium kit (tetra or marineland?)

50w sub heater

Koralia powerhead

HOB filter

10lbs Live sand

15lbs Live Rock

Instant ocean salt + RO water

Wonderful fake coral - which I usually hate but kind of like it now..

Livestock:

3 blue legged crabs

2 astrea snails

1 black occellaris (1.5")

It's been up and running for a month now and I just added the clown yesterday. I used cured live rock and the water params have been perfect since day 2, hence the new purchase yesterday.

I dripped him for a while and he's been doing great. He's eaten well and is super active, I love his shape and his mismarked colouring. Yet to decide on a name for the little one, but have pictures taken today... don't mind the crap quality.

Cheers,

Willie

post-73372-1332287514_thumb.jpg

Here's another pic of the monster. He's adorable.

I also have a Q - What coral would I be able to grow under LED? I've got the standard canopy that came with the kit, maybe 25-30 white LEDs and 2 blue LEDs for night use. The rock had some polyps (and lots of aptasia) which are doing fine thus far. I planned on the tank being a FOWLR but would like to have a frogspawn or hammer if possible? I've only kept xenia and polyps before (with #### lighting in other FOWLR tanks, too) so I'm new to the concept.

Stocking list will be limited at either another clown (true perc or tank raised standard occellaris) or a goby of some sort, maybe a yellow watchman. Also thinking of a six-line wrasse as a option, but have heard they can get nasty in a small tank..

Willie

post-73372-1332288137_thumb.jpg

What sort of CUC would devour the red slime algae? I've noticed the green hair algae is almost gone since these pics were taken, thanks to the blue legs (on sand and rock) and astreas (on the glass). Clown is still doing great, I love having the moonlights and being able to watch him at night, as the tanks in my bedroom.

ps- Yes, I need a new background. Was a temporary fix for now lol.

Willie

Tanks been doing great! All the green hair algae is gone and the red slime has also decreased. The sand is getting a layer of purple growth on it, could that be coraline forming? The rocks, as you can see, are mostly covered in coraline.

We're on an alternate day feeding regime and the clown is happy as can be, he's great. I've always wanted a black clown but am happy I chose him compared to his tank mates (who were all jet black with the orange face), such a good little guy. I'm trying to plan my second (and probable final) fish addition, deciding between:

- Picasso clown (super nice 1" ones go for $50 at LFS)

- True percula

- Cherub angel (dwarf)

- or a type of wrasse. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at getting new lights for growing some corals (mostly softs) including torch, frogspawns, hammers, etc. Any suggestions, with personal experience, for under $150? I'm in Canada so a dealer that can ship here would be even better.

Cheers

Tanks been doing great! All the green hair algae is gone and the red slime has also decreased. The sand is getting a layer of purple growth on it, could that be coraline forming? The rocks, as you can see, are mostly covered in coraline.

We're on an alternate day feeding regime and the clown is happy as can be, he's great. I've always wanted a black clown but am happy I chose him compared to his tank mates (who were all jet black with the orange face), such a good little guy. I'm trying to plan my second (and probable final) fish addition, deciding between:

- Picasso clown (super nice 1" ones go for $50 at LFS)

- True percula

- Cherub angel (dwarf)

- or a type of wrasse. Any suggestions?

I'm looking at getting new lights for growing some corals (mostly softs) including torch, frogspawns, hammers, etc. Any suggestions, with personal experience, for under $150? I'm in Canada so a dealer that can ship here would be even better.

Cheers

First off, nice looking clown!

The purple growth on your sand sounds a lot like cyanobacteria to me. Coralline algae doesn't really grow on sand. Can you attach a picture for clarification? If it is cyano, it can be caused by a few different things: low flow areas are prone to cyano, especially if your nutrients (nitrates, phosphates) are high.

If you decided to get another fish, I wouldn't mix clown species. In other words, don't put a true percula in with an ocellaris. Since you have that ocellaris, I would only add another ocellaris clown. Also, a 10g tank is too small for any type of angel unfortunately. They need lots of room to swim. Plus, most angels are not reef safe and will nip at your corals. A wrasse is, again, probably too big for that tank. They can get aggressive. I would consider a small goby, or maybe a firefish. These are peaceful fish that do well in smaller setups.

As for lighting, you would be fine with a 2 bulb T5 high-output (HO) fixture. I had one on my 20g long tank before I upgraded to LEDs to keep SPS. I had an actinic bulb and a 10000k daylight bulb in there. My torch coral and zoanthids loved it.

Good luck!

Thanks Matt, I love the clown too. He's been doing great.

As far as the purple algae, you're right. It is the cyano growth, it's spread a layer over the middle of the tank until today when I removed it. I've switched the location of the koralia, see if the new flow direction will help the sandbed.

I got my second, and final fish today... a six-line wrasse. Young little one, 1" maybe. Super active and loves the rock. There are a few great hiding spots and he's been in and out of them all afternoon.

I also caved and since my LFS is haing a massive closing sale, I bought two corals. My lighting is not up to par but I'm researching into getting a better lighting to convert this tank to a nano reef system. I picked up a frag of an orange ricordia and a 3" (squared) greenish type finger leather coral, both have great colour and in great condition, for under $30. We'll see how they do, I placed them at the top of my rock directly underneath the LED's. Again, I'm looking at upgrading my lighting so any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=4

http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=24

I'm happy with the two I got, they seem to be on the easy care level and hardier side for newbies. Right on!

I will be posting photos shortly :)

Place an order with Reefcleaners John is awesome. Send him a email with the issues and he will send you the critters you should buy. Cerths and Dwarf Cerths are awesome! Also Nerite Snails will do a good job as well.

Do you have any sand stirrers like Narissus Snails? This will help keep the sand from sitting and gettign an algae film on it.

Looks good though!

Thanks for the suggestions FICandy, do they ship to Canada? I'll check them out after this response. I've only got two astrea snails and three blue leg hermits. I've never had this issue and now that I think about this I always had other types of crabs (such as Narissus etc) so I'll look into it. This tank also has more circulation that my previous saltwater tanks, so I don't know if thats the real issue. Maybe the LED lighting is different? I've been feeding every other day (a low amount of flake and alternate brine shrimp), plus regular 10% water changes weekly, and all water params are perfect. I'm stumped!

I took some pics of the tank, the leather is still closed up but ricordea is looking good. Photos to come next :)

Mr. Clown lookin' good.. note the wrasse on the left and the size of the Ricordea (about 2").

post-73372-1333236689_thumb.jpg

I am not sure, I bet he does, most everyone here orders form him. Just make sure he knows where your located so he can put heat packs in there.

Love the pic! Lucky to get them both in the same shot. ;)

That ric looks like a Yuma. I am not sure on what one though.....

Leather middle-top, not opened yet. Hoping it takes the the #### lighting soon.

Recordea

Yuma?

Sweet Candy, I shouldve asked what the ric was. It's from a great reef store about 20min away, they had tons of frags of everything you could want. No wonder I left with this frag... Now I just need better lighting and a bigger tank!

post-73372-1333236895_thumb.jpg

post-73372-1333237008_thumb.jpg

post-73372-1333237146_thumb.jpg

Leather middle-top, not opened yet. Hoping it takes the the #### lighting soon.

Recordea

Yuma?

Sweet Candy, I shouldve asked what the ric was. It's from a great reef store about 20min away, they had tons of frags of everything you could want. No wonder I left with this frag... Now I just need better lighting and a bigger tank!

You have the eye! ;)

Yumas are touchy, when you upgrade watch it they are pretty sensitive to light. I am nursing a baby of a Yuma that just melted for no reason, I have had a hard time with Yumas but it is still alive and coloring up a bit more each week.

Get a bigger tank when you master this one. Bigger is better for water stability and etc, this little one will make sure you know your stuff when you upgrade. :)

Oh and that plastic yellow thing needs to go! :P

What, you're not in love with the fake "yellow thing"? lol

Thanks for the tips, I have to think abut future plans as far as tank upgrades go. This one's working out well for now so I think I'll get a moderate lighting upgrade then see when I can get a bigger tank etc. I'm in the process of moving, so that's also a consideration I've got to think about.

Woke up this morning to a very happy looking ricordea, a moderate looking leather, a hyper clown, and a missing wrasse :o The tank is 98% covered and have checked out the entire floor space, no sign of a fish outside of the tank. I fed the clown and no wrasse sightings. I guess at this point I'm waiting on seeing the bugger before I come to any conclusions, it better be good!

Will

Mr. Wrasse has been found... dead and somehow he was sitting at the front of the tank in the sand. I tested the water and it's good, not sure what to do besides take time before adding anything else and a water change. I should've bought another black clown!

Does anyone have any good lighting options as far as websites go? I'm in Canada if I can help... eh?

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Wrasse has been found... dead and somehow he was sitting at the front of the tank in the sand. I tested the water and it's good, not sure what to do besides take time before adding anything else and a water change. I should've bought another black clown!

Does anyone have any good lighting options as far as websites go? I'm in Canada if I can help... eh?

Sorry to hear about your wrasse. Wrasse actually bury themselves in the sand sometimes, so I'm not surprised you found him there. I would wait a while before adding a new fish--I wouldn't go with a wrasse either. A lot of people would argue that 10g is too small for one.

How is your cyano issue? Any other updates?

Also, Marine Depot has a good selection of lighting options (and anything else you might need). I'm not sure if they ship to Canada though.

Archived