Cultivated Reef

H202 treatment led to this

Trauma

So I had a really bad case of Dino's. I had red long strings all over my tank smothering everything.

After some heavy h202 treatment over the course of a few weeks the dino's are gone and the corals are finally starting to open again!

However in the areas of the Rockwork where the Dino's where heaviest there is something brown and almost dead looking. For lack of a better description it almost looks like rust on the live rock.

Here are some photos.

photo-13.jpg

photo-12.jpg

Any ideas on what this is and how to proceed?

Thanks in advance!

For those wondering how the h202 treatment helped here is a before photo.

IMG_0006.jpg

This took about 2 weeks of treatment to achieve.

I find that really interesting. You took time to be slow and conservative, safe for the mix of corals you have. So you did the 1:10 dose, how often per week and also how many water changes did you do, if any, during your run>

you took really nice pics

You know interestingly Im happy to have the data of your tank being under a systemic dose but your before pic was so decent Id have just siphoned all that string out? or had you already done that and it came back?

I find that really interesting. You took time to be slow and conservative, safe for the mix of corals you have. So you did the 1:10 dose, how often per week and also how many water changes did you do, if any, during your run>

you took really nice pics

You know interestingly Im happy to have the data of your tank being under a systemic dose but your before pic was so decent Id have just siphoned all that string out? or had you already done that and it came back?

Wow no I wasn't conservative at all. The 1:10 dose didn't do anything for me. I dosed 30ml a day for 2 weeks straight. This is into a 24 gallon tank. I did a 5 gallon water change every other day.

During each day of treatment I would test ph, nitrates, alk, phos, calcium and mag levels.

As long as everything was within range (it always was) I just continued with treatment until there was no visible sign on any dinos for 5 days.

I still see no sign of string diatoms to this day (4 days after stoping treatment).

However where the diatoms seemed to be most thick on the Rockwork an almost rust looking substance is covering the rock.

If you need further photos I can supply some shortly, the wife is using the iPad 3 and the camera on the iPad 2 stinks.

Let me know what you think I really appreciate the input

Lol! That's a good mix of corals to roll with that dose, good to know

Id like to see you rinse off that rock/scrub with a brush outside of the tank

If it comes back its a growth, if it stays gone its some kind of leftover tissue/pigment from treatment

You might need a follow up run i'm curious to know if this initial power run got it all. It was also helpful that you tested all the common params during this run

Looks like your getting red slime algae now. Probably from the extra nutrients put into the water by the dying Dinos.

Siphon out as much as you can and make sure you get it under control now. Slime is annoying.

Archived