Cultivated Reef

3g Picodope

Primitive

This is my 3g JBJ Picotope, going to be a part of the >3 Pico Contest!!!

Current FTS

IMG_6800-1.jpg

• Set-Up
  • 3 Gallon JBJ PICOTOPE
  • 2.5 Pounds Live Rock
  • AC30 Chemi-Pure Elite, Filter Floss
  • Modded AC50 FUGE
  • 50W Heater
  • Stock Light for refugium
  • BoostLED par30 w/ Clamp

• Livestock
  • Yellow Clown Goby
  • 2 Pom Pom Crabs
  • 3 Cerith Snails
  • 2 Nerite Snails
  • 1 Blue Hermit

• Wishlist
  • Lid!

Update

I took the water and LR out and painted the back and bottom of my tank! I havent seen anyone paint the bottom but I thought it would look cool since I am going BB. I also liked the idea of everything being black except the viewing panels! Will be adding my LR and water later tonight once its completely dry. I also bought my chaeto today and will be setting up my fuge later!! Pics to come later tonight or tomorrow.

Cool, I think it looks really clean, how long did you let it dry on the bottom before setting up? I used krylon fusion.

Update

I have everything set-up and ready to go! Just waiting till the 1st to add my livestock.

Things I have done since last update include, got my fuge up and running. Picked up some chaeto from my LFS with lots of life in it, about 3-4 starfish, pods, etc. I am using my stock jbj light to keep it alive. I got my BoostLED up and running!! So far, so good.

Cool, I think it looks really clean, how long did you let it dry on the bottom before setting up? I used krylon fusion.

I used krylon also. Waited 1hour then set it up. Its great stuff. I like how ur tank looks. I ended up redoing the rock scape. but no new photos yet

I used krylon also. Waited 1hour then set it up. Its great stuff. I like how ur tank looks. I ended up redoing the rock scape. but no new photos yet

Thanks! Put some photos up! I like checking out all the updates :P

Very clean look, you left plenty of space to start the formation of your corals!

Thanks, thats what I am going for very simple with crazy growth covering every inch!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE 4/7/12

Much has changed since the last update! Since then the cycle has been completed, I have gotten corals and 2 Pom Pom crabs and a yellow clown goby! Due to the fact that I wanted additional filtration just for the sake of my livestock, I added another filter and made my ac30 my fuge. The other filter being an AC50 with Chemi-pure elite, and filter floss. I removed my koralia nano becuz the two filters together are more than enough flow for such a small tank. Also since the first of April when the contest rules allowed us to add livestock, along with my Pom Poms and YCG I picked out a good amount of corals! Zoas, favia, hammer, shrooms, ricordeas, cloves, and a small sps! I had some of them in my larger tank so I decided to try and save some money and throw them in the 3G. There is only a few more corals I want to pick up before I let it all grow out. I am only going to get more zoas and let them take over! That's all for now I'll update more soon with pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

photo-4-1.jpg

^^^Anyone know what these might be? There are a good amount of them in my tank but they don't seem to move or at least so slow it doesn't look like they are moving.

photo-3.jpg

^^^FTS April

photo-2.jpg

^^^FES

photo-1.jpg

^^^Top Down

Ya might be but I thought nerites scarcely breed in higher salinity? I thought they needed ~1.10~. My salinity is 1.25 with a jbj Refractormeter.

As far as I've understood, no. But the eggs are such a lovely hue of white and just the right size for them to be difficult to remove from the porous rocks. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Do they normally survive?

They will survive, and it sucks. I have a snail pandemic in my 5.5 gallon tank. I siphon out baby Nerites every water change.

Archived