BGJ223

FTS 8/01/12

DSC_0736.JPG

FTS 4/1/12

FTS 4/30/12

FTS 5/29/12

FTS 8/1/12

Howdy folks.

Well I decided to join the contest. At first I was going to go all out and do a 1 gallon tank with sump and RK Lite, but I decided to try and put something together with what I had on hand.

I will update the layout of this post later with info about the setup, but here it is.

IMG_20120310_213905.jpg

Everything in this tank, with the exception of the tank itself is stuff that I had on hand already. The only thing I will need to purchase is a heater.

The title says it all, this tank will be SPS dominated, with a GSP carpet.

Equipment:

Tank: 2.5 gallon Aqueon Glass Aquarium

Pump: Hydor Koralia Nano Aqueon 500

Heater: 25 watt Via Aqua

Filtration: AC 70 HOB filter with Steve T Media Basket

Lighting: DIY LED 3CW 2 Moon Lights Run at 350Ma

Auto Top Off: DIY from Aquahub.com using an Aqualifter pump

Cooling: PC fan controlled by RKL.

Livestock:

1 Cerith Snail

2 Hermit Crabs 1 Hermit Crab

2. Porcelain Crabs

1 Skunk Cleaner

1 Glass/Grass Shrimp

Corals:

Bali Green Slimer

2 Orange Monti Caps

Green Monti Cap

Montipora Confusa

Pink Birdsnest

Green Birdsnest

Acropora Efflorescens

Reverse Sunset Monti

3 GSP

Blue Tip Acro

Unknown Monti Frag

Blue/Green Echinata

6 unkown SPS frags

1 - Tiny Birdsnest Frag

1 - Tiny Porites Frag

1 - Millipora Frag

1 - Sunset Montipora

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we are wet

IMG_20120310_221700.jpg

The rock on the right is live rock I had in the sump of my 5.5 gallon tank. The rock on the left is dry rock that should be phosphate free. I cooked it for 8 weeks when I was setting up the GF's tank.

The rock structures are glued together and I will be keeping an eye out for small frags I can glue to the rock.

I added a small thermometer just to see what the nightly swings will be like. I will probably remove that soon.

Later this week I will wire up the light fixture.

Subscribed...Glad to have you on board! Welcome to the contest, and good luck!

Thanks Meta!

I had the LED light from my Dymax IQ3 laying around, so I figured I would put it on the tank until I build my fixture.

IMG_20120311_101956.jpg

Sweet...where did you get the stuff for you LED build, and what kind of LEDs you using?

I commend you for your bravery. SPS in a 2.5 gallon is no easy task, but very possible I think. GSP and SPS are not a good combination for many reasons, GSP spread and overtake SPS rapidly, that is if they even survive in a SPS low nutrient system. SPS require stability in all areas or parameters, this is the biggest challenge with keeping SPS in a small system, I find it challenging in my 20 gallon system.

I am following this thread and look forward to seeing your project develop.

Leds are all extras I have from my 5:5 gallon tank. I cut back on my number recently.

I am not too worried about the sps. My 1.75 has some sps and other stuff and it is all doing well. Stability should be fairly easy. And water quality too, I love doing big water changes

I still need to build my LED light for this tank, but it is kinda hard to do with a broken hand

Ouch! How'd you break your hand?

Ouch! How'd you break your hand?

Playing Basketball. But on a positive note, I made the game winning freethrows. LOL

I am having a hard time figuring out how I want to mount the light over the tank. This is preventing me from building the light. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Added a Via Aqua 50 watt heater. Also cut some mirror glass to put behind the tank. If you look close you can see my cast in the reflection.

IMG_20120317_190024.jpg

tagging along :). i've got the same tank, only i spray painted the trim white, and i've been toying with the idea of doing something with it and using a gsp carpet too. can't wait to see how yours turns out!

pics time

7 leds with 2 moon light leds

3 white 4 blue

moon lights have not been wired yet

IMG_20120319_194333.jpg

I took a standard fluorescent fixture, gutted it and cut it down to size

IMG_20120319_194415.jpg

here it is with lights on. looks dull in the pic, sorry it was from the cell phone.

IMG_20120319_210624.jpg

Brightness looks better here.

IMG_20120319_210657.jpg

and a sneak peek at a couple sps frags that will go in the tank

IMG_20120319_210854.jpg

looking really good man.

Thank you

What Meanwell driver is that?

It is the LPC-35-700

This current led arrangement was just a test. I ordered some 19k leds from ebay and Iwill be swapping the whites out.

Because of the huge wave the AC70 makes, I have a crazy light show in my living room.

there is no time like the present. It is pretty easy to do. as long as you can keep the temp fairly stable and the salinity fairly stable it is very easy.

there is no time like the present. It is pretty easy to do. as long as you can keep the temp fairly stable and the salinity fairly stable it is very easy.

For me it's more or less about the time and money. I don't have much time as is and the money I put into that, I would for now much rather be filling up my 60g cube that is going to be mostly SPS also. But I will get to it one day.

money could be an issue, but time is not. all I have to do for my small tanks is water changes an that only takes a few minutes.

money could be an issue, but time is not. all I have to do for my small tanks is water changes an that only takes a few minutes.

It's something I'll have to take a closer look into. Good job tho! Can't wait to see this grown out !

Archived