5/2
DSC_0358.JPG

4/2
IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg
waiting for the bottom -_-

4/1
IMG_0068.jpg
FES lol, bottom pane coming on Thurs, hopefully.

Tank specs:
3/19
The tank dimensions are going to be 20" long x 6" wide x 8" tall tank with a volume of 3.29 gallons and a sump volume of 1.73 gallons for a total system volume of 4.4 gallons
The well of the tank will be ~13 " x 6" x 5"
The top part of the tank will be 20" x 6" x 3"
and the sump will be ~9" x 6" x 5"

Equipment:
2 - 2 3w royal blue and 1 3w cool white GU10 LEDs
return pump
hydor koralia nano circulation pump
heater

Livestock:
planning mostly on SPS, LPS and zoas, but its not set yet. There will be no fish, and I'm thinking pom-pom crabs and/or sexy shrimp.

There's going to be a few surprises in store in terms of tank design and stocking that i'm not revealing yet :ninja: so stay tuned.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're back! How have you been?

Are you building the tank yourself?

Can't wait to see these surprises you speak of...

Yes, I'm back! I've been good, ups and downs. I actually did buy a fish like in your av, the name escapes me (too much orgo in my head :wacko:) but it was soo tiny! it disappeared in my pico and I was not happy about that. And yes, I am building the tank myself, I'm sure you won't be disappointed, but this is a contest, so my plans are :ninja:

thanks Jrmiller, I really am leaning towards the 20" length. I might make it thinner and taller, but I really need to find a tape measure so I can see how much space I have to work with at my desk.

I decided on 20x6x8. The current leds are 2b:1w but I want to get 2 bulbs that are 2w:1b and have 3 bulbs. 2 new ones and one 1w:2b one. that might look weird depending on how I spread it out. I'm hoping to go buy glass Tuesday and start building to have the tank wet by early next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the four sides fit together nicely. now i'm just waiting on the bottom pane to come in, as well as some internal parts that need to be fixed. I wish I had the space to cut glass myself.

probably smoked too much before I sent my friend the specs. also he got me 1/4" so i couldn't go get pieces at the lowes by me this weekend.

Dropping out of the pico contest. school etc, has not allowed me to meet deadlines. With that said, I can now reveal my design and plans. I'm building a drop off tank with a self contained sump, so its also an AIO technically. The tank will be 22" long with the tank being 19 -20" and the sump being 2 - 3" longer than the tank. It might not quite make sense now, but when the tanks built it will.

the overflow will be at the end of the ledge, the return will be in the chamber below and where it will pump to i'm not sure yet.

i'm also going to tint the back black and block out the sump from the front too. I'm not sure which side is the front yet tho.

Archived