Top Shelf Aquatics

My Long Shallow Pico!

16bio

Ok so I am in the contest and I am going to be doing a completely custom tank, its going to be drilled an have a sump(same size as display) Thats it for now will update when tank is done...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so I am in the contest and I am going to be doing a completely custom tank, its going to be drilled an have a sump(same size as display) Thats it for now will update when tank is done...

Ok so I am getting the tank made now and it should be done tomorrow afternoon but we will see, its going to be 20'' X 6'' X 6'' (LxWxH) with a total water volume of 2.90043 gallons without rock or sand. I am really looking forward to getting this tank started!

what are you planing of lighting? I find the lighting is the hardest thing to decide on :)

Can't wait to see it. You going glass or acrylic?

-dan

what are you planing of lighting? I find the lighting is the hardest thing to decide on :)

Can't wait to see it. You going glass or acrylic?

-dan

Its going to be glass, my local glass shop is doing it for me for $24+hst. For lighting its probably going to be led but we will see...

Just ordered the stuff to do leds! Thats right I am doign my first ever diy leds! Iam kinda of excited but don't want to get my hopes up. I am going to do 4 whites and 2 blues I think...We will see how they look when they get here.

dallasprstn
its going to be 20'' X 6'' X 6'' (LxWxH) with a total water volume of 2.90043 gallons without rock or sand.

lol, so precise. i like the shallow aspect of the tank!

Sounds Sweet! Yup, definately going to have a lot of unique aquascapes with this competition...As a Judge, it's gonna be quite the task to keep up with everyone's tank, but I'm looking foward to all the diverse setups!

Thanks guys, and yes I pick up the tank tomorrow afternoon along with my live rock! I am very excited. What to you guys think branch or fiji?

I'm gonna try not to give advice/opinion to contest entrants from now until the contest ends. But I look forward to seeing it come together!

dallasprstn
Thanks guys, and yes I pick up the tank tomorrow afternoon along with my live rock! I am very excited. What to you guys think branch or fiji?

go with branch, if you can find a lot of smaller pieces, a lot of little overhangs would look really cool in a tank this long. just my opinion though. :happy:

Ya thats what I was thinking to. LFS just got there shipment so I'll go get some. Although I think locally I pay way more for live rock than most peeps, I am paying $10-15per pound!

Ya thats what I was thinking to. LFS just got there shipment so I'll go get some. Although I think locally I pay way more for live rock than most peeps, I am paying $10-15per pound!

10-15 per pound! Egads, man, where are you?! In the arctic?

dallasprstn
Lol no some place called Canada, where everything is over priced...

lol, thats funny. i get my live rock for around $5-8 per pound depending on the quality of rock. thats really a bummer.

Ya it kinda sucks but what can you do right. So I just go with it anyway hoping to get hired at the lfs in the next couple of weeks so then I get employees discount!

Lol no some place called Canada, where everything is over priced...

my end of town live rock is about $8.00 dead rock $3.00

Speak for yourself. We get it for $5/lbs in the t-dot! lol.

Regardless, no more then 3 lbs and you are good to go. I'd go with branching tonga, but that stuff isn't very porous so maybe you should go with the indo rock

Also, i hope you ordered a few extra leds. I would get a few extra blues and whites. That way you can play with the colour and replace the ones that burn out. yes they do burn out and you can also damage them if you apply too much heat when soldering them in place. Don't forget to get the dimming ballast. you'll be surprised how powerful leds really are.

Where are the pics lol

-dan

I am in B.C....

Well for that price, I would hope there is a good selection. As Dan said, at least you don't need much.

Archived