Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wildmazekes 5 gallon cube

wildmanzeke

wildmanzeke

I've taken some time to let this one sit before i started posting info and pics of it. Started sometime in early Jan 2012.

Updated FTS: 02 Apr 2012

IMG_0227.jpg

Equipment

Tank: Random Korean tank

Dimensions: 10x10x12

Heater: Eheim Jager TruTemp 50W

Filter: Marineland penguin 100 HOB

Media: Brightwell Aquatics Carbon, Phosban

Lighting: Custom Acrylic Tank Holder/Light Hanger with Ebay 3W GU10: 4 blue, 3 cool white

ATO: JBJ ATO with Tom aquatics Aqualifter

Powerheads: Two Hydor Koralia 240G/hr,

Recractometer: Marine depot Refractometer

Salifert Calcium Test Kit

Salifert KH/Alkalinity Test Kit

Salifert Phosphate Test Kit

Salifert pH Test Kit

Salt: Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine

Dosing: Brightwell Aquatics Nano Code two part

Tank Stats

Salinity: 1.026

PH: 8.0

Calc: 370

ALK: 8.3

Phos: .25

Tank inhabitants past and present

1 Astrea

1 Blue striped Hermit

1 blood red fire shrimp

1 Glass anemone shrimp

1 White bubble tip anemone

1 occe clown (rip) disappeared without a trace.

2 Yellow Clown gobies (rip) found one in the anemone and the other disappeared without a trace.

1 blue green chromis

2 really small occe clowns.

Coral

Still living;

1 People eater paly

1 Bright green and orange zoa

1 dragon eye zoa frag

1 bright pink zoa frag

1 newgolden center zoa colony

1 Orange short Tentacle plate coral (my favorite)

1 GSP

1 Green scrolling Montipora(rip put him up too high in my tank too fast) with pink zoas

1 leather

1 Aussie Cyphastrea

1 Bright green with red mouth favites

1 newbright green rock anemone

1 new deepwater acro

past;

1 white and green birdsnest

1 red monti cap

At first i was using only R/O water. I recently got my DI filter and have been using for about a month. Since then everything has started looking a lot better. i got my test kits and measured everything and my water came back with PHOS in it. So got home and tested the water straight from the RO/DI filter and got a big 0. So i dont know where it's coming from. I feed cyclopeeze. That's it. Well my fish died and i have no idea where they went not on the floor and no bodies found. ??? well here are the pics.

Current FTS

IMG_0141.jpg

Start up. Took the skimmer out. Took up too much room.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

:(

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

That's it for now.

wildmanzeke

I've done a 100% water change and it only holds 3 gallons with the displacement of rock in there (its pretty dense actually) it only holds 3. Can i still get in on this action?

I've done a 100% water change and it only holds 3 gallons with the displacement of rock in there (its pretty dense actually) it only holds 3. Can i still get in on this action?

Yeah its all good honor system works here. You said you were in Korea; you stationed there?

Great tank, love the build. Unfortunately, as a "3 and Under" entry, I believe you cannot have any livestock added to your tank before April 1st, so unless you are planning on breaking this tank down and starting over, you will have to talk to the contest founder, dallasprstn, for further details.

Thanks for understanding! :) He might let you slide, but I'm pretty sure you would have a big advantage on everyone else.

wildmanzeke
Yeah its all good honor system works here. You said you were in Korea; you stationed there?

yes unfortunately i am still stuck here in korea.

I thought it was you cant add livestock after april?

yes unfortunately i am still stuck here in korea.

I thought it was you cant add livestock after april?

If the pictures above are the pictures of the tank you wish to enter, you will have to PM dallasprstn. If you already have a bunch of corals in your tank, it would hardly be fair to judge you against others who have yet to even get their tanks wet. Cycle now, add CUC whenever, and you may start adding livestock April 1st...

This is pretty much a contest for new picos, not ones that are already established with livestock. Thanks for understanding! And once again, if you have any questions, PM dallasprstn and he will clear up any issues you may have.

Meta

wildmanzeke

hey, yeah i re-read the rules. I apologize. i would pull out. I cant start another though. Sucks. I have to leave in a year.

I know the feeling, I set my tanks up in November, so I'm too late as well...thats how I ended up as a judge, but I'm totally stoked to be part of the contest at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Nice job! I love the placement of your corals. Seems like the colors are all in the right place :D Tank is looking really good.

wildmanzeke

Thank you lara. Yeah i consider this to be art. You could just throw a bunch of corals in here but if you dont put them in a good area it just wont blend. I really enjoy the aesthetics of reef keeping.

wildmanzeke

got some more stuff. It's really starting to come together now. got some brown skirt with a teal center zoas, and maroon skirt with bright green center zoas, and then a whole colony of different color zoas that were growing on tonga branch(dont know if that lets me know where they are from). three pink with blue center florida ricordias, green florida that i glued to frag disk. Also, large zenia.

• 4 weeks later...
wildmanzeke

Thinking about getting either the full spectrum or tricolor LEDTRIC PAR38. Also going to order RKL soon. So excited.

• 1 month later...

I love your tank! How long did it take your zoas to cover the rocks and how many polyps did you buy when you first got them? I love the look of a zoa colony in a pico.

• 7 months later...

Sorry it's been so long. I Actually had to take the tank down in october. I moved back to the USA. Where equipment is cheap but corals are crazy expensive. I use to get full SPS colonies for 35-55 bucks a pop. Huge colonies. South Korea was awesome. Too answer the last question. I bought those giant colonies for 20 bucks and just put them in. Just had to stack them right.

Archived