Innovative Marine Aquariums

How To Guide: Ecoxotic Panarama Pro LED upgrade

quikcolin

I wanted to share with forum how things went with my Ecoxotic Panorama Pro LED upgrade.

I received the package in the mail this afternoon and didn't waste anytime! I tore my hood down and installed the LEDs right away. The whole process from opening the box to finish took about 1.5 hours. I took things super slow and made sure it was done properly. If I had to do it again, I could polish the job off in an hour no problem.

So, what I'll do is give everyone a step by step (missing a few pictures as I forgot to take a few pictures while working lol).

Here is my tank with the PC lighting... before the LED install.

DSCN1115.jpg

Step One:

Open the box! It's kinda like Christmas all over again ;)

DSCN1109.jpg

Step Two:

Dig a little deeper, check out the goods!

1 x Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 12K White/445nm Blue

1 x Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 445nm/Magenta

1 x Ecoxotic 2-Way Splitter

1 x Ecoxotic Power supply for Panorama (60W)

1 x Ecoxotic dimmer

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

Step Three:

Remove hood, and begin tear down

DSCN1117.jpg

I removed the PC lighting entirely, and all wires associated with them. I also removed the moon lights (as I never used them anyways).

DSCN1121.jpg

I also completely removed the second main power supply that feed the PC lighting - you can see in this pictures that it's gone. This took a little cutting to allow it to be fed out the way it came in (the holes are small)

DSCN1122.jpg

Step four:

This is where I got lazy, and didn't take any pictures, but I used the reflective shield. I flattened the front of it and fit it in place. I moved the whole shield back, as I wanted it there to protect the underlying wiring from any heat the LEDs might create. You'll be able to see what I did in the following photos of the finished product.

Step Five:

Fasten the LEDs to the reflective shield. I used the bolt holes that the PC lighting used for the left side, and drilled holes in the shield on the right side so I could feed a zip tie thru and fasten it down. Worked perfectly. I also used this little plastic nubs (came with the LEDs) to create a gap. I stuck them on the reflective shield to raise the LEDs so their not directly on the shield. Sorry I don't have a pic... but the LEDs aren't laying right on the shield, their raised for breathing room.

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1132.jpg

Step Six:

Next I fired them up! You're looking at the lowest possible setting on the dimmer. I would say 10% of total output... 100% is insane lol

DSCN1127.jpg

Step Seven:

Reinstall the protective cover inside the hood, and test everything to make sure it works... mine did B) and you're laughing. Here is a photo of the tank just after I put it back together. The corals went to "sleep" as they were in the dark for 1.5 hours while I was working on the hood... so they're not out yet... but you get the picture. NOTE: this is the power at 20%ish using the dimmer... it appears very magenta here, but when I turn the power up, the whites dull the magenta a bit - making it perfect!... FYI.

DSCN1136.jpg

FINALLY - THE BEFORE AND AFTER SIDE BY SIDE (remember, the LED is only set to 20% using the dimmer)

sidebyside.jpg

Hope this helps anyone whos on the fence.... or that is about to tackle the job.

My only question is this... how high should I put the dimmer to start with? This 20% is kinda dull and not very bright... should I start at 50% and slowly build to 80-100%?

Colin

gradually increase it over the course of a few days or even weeks. the corals are going to need to acclimate to the new light. I LOVE the look though. (:

Thanks very much! Every day or two I'll bump it up a little... if the coral seem upset, I'll slow down!

Thanks very much! Every day or two I'll bump it up a little... if the coral seem upset, I'll slow down!

Perfect.

Looks good, bro!! My tank has that same look, but my pics are real distorted with my cell cam. I run 3 modules on my JBJ28, at 100% (445nm, 12k, magenta). Thinking of adding a 12k/445nm.

Keep an eye on moisture, and heat. I guarantee you'll get a lot moisture with the hood closed. I leave my feeding door up.

Perfect.

Looks good, bro!! My tank has that same look, but my pics are real distorted with my cell cam. I run 3 modules on my JBJ28, at 100% (445nm, 12k, magenta). Thinking of adding a 12k/445nm.

Keep an eye on moisture, and heat. I guarantee you'll get a lot moisture with the hood closed. I leave my feeding door up.

Thanks very much man, I was bouncing back to our conversation while doing the install! Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the detailed how to! Mine should be arriving tomorrow according to the tracker. Now im nervous seeing that you have 2 Pros in your 14g. I ordered a 12k white/blue and a 453nm magenta/blue stunner and worried it wont be enough light now

Thanks for the detailed how to! Mine should be arriving tomorrow according to the tracker. Now im nervous seeing that you have 2 Pros in your 14g. I ordered a 12k white/blue and a 453nm magenta/blue stunner and worried it wont be enough light now

Hey, I hope this helps.... I asked Ecoxotic what they suggested on their FaceBook Page (check it out) and this was their response:

Hi Colin, thanks for the questions and compliments. We get this question a lot and suggest for BioCube 14s:

1 x 12K White/445nm Blue Panorama Pro LED Module

1 x 445nm Blue Panorama Pro Module

1 x 2-way Splitter

1 x 60w Transformer

You could also go with the Panorama Pro 445nm/Magenta as a nice option to the all blue. No stunners needed.

Hey, I hope this helps.... I asked Ecoxotic what they suggested on their FaceBook Page (check it out) and this was their response:

Hi Colin, thanks for the questions and compliments. We get this question a lot and suggest for BioCube 14s:

1 x 12K White/445nm Blue Panorama Pro LED Module

1 x 445nm Blue Panorama Pro Module

1 x 2-way Splitter

1 x 60w Transformer

You could also go with the Panorama Pro 445nm/Magenta as a nice option to the all blue. No stunners needed.

Hey thanks for the info colin, unfortunately I already had my order in for the 12k white/blue pro and the 453nm magenta/blue. After I get it installed ill keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't look like my corals are happy I guess ill have to order another panorama pro. Hoping my new fans will be here today and get it all installed tomorrow

hello did you keep the stock fans in and do you use them?thanks great looking tank and very helpful write up.

I kept the stock fans in place and have them running... from what I understand, even tho they're LEDs, they still produce heat. It was actually easier to keep them in there haha.

Thanks for your compliment!

• 1 month later...
frank2818

Great guide

I just order 1 Panorama Pro 19 watt 12k white/453 blue and 1 Stunner 6 watt 453 blue. Do you think this will be sufficient in a biocube 14 to color up most softies or should I swap out the 6 watt stunner for the panorama pro 453 blue?

Did you have any heat issues?

What % did you end up turning the dimmer to.

Biocubes or any hooded tank will have heat issues no matter the lighting used. For my Panorama PRO install with stunner in my BC14, I kept the stock fans and ran them against the suggestion of ecoxotic. While the heat from the LED's themselves might be less than stock lights, the tank is a closed system with no place for heat to escape without the aid of fans.

I would definitely change stunner for Panorama Pro Blue. If it is not too late call them and change for 453 module. I've ordered the same that you did and returned the stunner and ordered Panorama Pro 453 (blue). The modules are very bright and overpower the stunner.

If you plan to use the stunner with a dimmer at a very low power as a lunar light, you can use it also, otherwise, change for the blue module.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the guide and installed the 2 Panorama Pros in the Biocube hood . The job was relatively easy and I'm not a DIY guy.

I kept the stock fans and run them when the lights are on with a timer.

Everything is working great and the tank looks awesome. The shimmer effect is amazing. My temps are solid at 79. I replaced the biocube moonlights with new ones (big difference). Everything fits in well but it was tight spreading out the Panarama pros enough to let the Moonlights shine through.

I called Oceanic for a new light splash guard because the old one was yellowed,scratched and I also over tightened the screws and cracked the plastic where you put the screws in .They came through with a new one free of charge in 4 days.

Thanks for posting this guide and the replies..

• 1 month later...
newone2009

Great post!

Wish I had read this before I installed pro modules in my BC 14. I installed without removing PC light connections/sockets because my fans are somehow tied in to the PC lights. I have a couple of problems:

1. Took out the PC bulbs but left the socket. The electrical cord is connected to my timer. Is there a better way to keep fans running?

2. Temps are hitting 83-84 even with newly replaced Oceanic fans (the third set in as many years -- ugh). One fan is blowing in and one blowing out. Room temp set at 78. Other than adding another fan or lowering room temp, is there a solution?

3. I would like to control lighting better. Is there a timer with dimmer capabilities?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
chevyjlewis

my modules went out after about 1.5 years. not to thrilled about it, but i am thinking about ordering them again, before my corals die.

chicagoreef

What does it mean for the LED lights to go out? I have four of the original Panorama LED lights and one goes on and off. I am not sure if the wiring needs fixing, power supply issue, etc. i hadn't considered these 2.5 year old lights could need replacing. These lights were recently purchased used with a tank

Archived