Coral Vue Hydros

Amjez's Midwest Ocean - New Pics

amjez

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum on and off for years and I finally have some time (and money) to invest into a tank. I've had a few posts, but this should start my documentation of the build. I had a 55 gallon fowlr about 10 years ago and have had fresh water tanks before the 55 gal. It's been a while, but I can't wait to start this tank.

As I mentioned in the title I purchased a 20"x20"x10" 1/2" rimless acrylic tank. I had trouble finding exactly what I wanted and ran across something close on ebay. I messaged John on ebay to see if he would make a custom tank for me and he agreed. The quality of this tank is unbeleivable. It has a black back and bottom with an external overflow.

You can find him under acrylicsuppliers in ebay or email him at adv.acrylics@yahoo.com if your interested in his tanks.

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I still need to build a stand, buy or make a sump, purchase my light and possibly get a ro/di filter system. I have a vortech mp10 and a reef octopus 4 in sump skimmer. I plan on taking my time with this. Of course.. I say that now, but I'm sure I'll be fighting the urge to stock the tank quickly.

There are some awesome tanks on this forum and some great advice and documentation. I look forward to sharing my experience on nano-reef. I know I'll have questions in the future so bear with me.

Adam

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues huh?

Well as much as I would like to talk smack, ya'll are sitting comfy in 4th while my Stars are sucking wind at 10th.

If we make the playoffs however...it's on like Donkey Kong

nice tank btw... :)

Thanks. I am very happy with the tank. I took a chance not really knowing anything about the manufacturer and just running across it on ebay.

Yes -- I am a Blues Fan!!! It's been a great year so far, but they are starting to struggle. It's not looking good with a 6 game road trip starting tonight.

Blues huh?

Well as much as I would like to talk smack, ya'll are sitting comfy in 4th while my Stars are sucking wind at 10th.

If we make the playoffs however...it's on like Donkey Kong

nice tank btw... :)

Im with Mojo on this one :P hopefully dallas can pull it off and make it back into a playoff position. What would be even more exciting would be to see the Anaheim ducks also pull of a playoff spot after their really tough start to the season.

On a fish note, This is probably the best acrylic tank I have yet to see, it looks beautiful. And i'm normally not an acrylic tank lover. Very nice find there!

I have the same tank buy return on the other side :)

Any pros or cons you've discovered with this tank?

I like your setup. How are you liking the LED's?

this tank is sick... too bad something like this will immediately become my cats #1 attraction.

Thanks. Luckily I don't have any cats, but I hope to make it my 18 month olds #1 attraction.

Im with Mojo on this one :P hopefully dallas can pull it off and make it back into a playoff position. What would be even more exciting would be to see the Anaheim ducks also pull of a playoff spot after their really tough start to the season.

On a fish note, This is probably the best acrylic tank I have yet to see, it looks beautiful. And i'm normally not an acrylic tank lover. Very nice find there!

As long as those Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup I will be fine. Don't get me wrong... I would go crazy if the Blues were able to pull it off. I don't think they have it in them this year, but they are heading in the right direction.

And thanks. I'm lucked out searching ebay.

As long as those Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup I will be fine. Don't get me wrong... I would go crazy if the Blues were able to pull it off. I don't think they have it in them this year, but they are heading in the right direction.

And thanks. I'm lucked out searching ebay.

wait, do or don't. Mind what you say. Them are fighting words.

wait, do or don't. Mind what you say. Them are fighting words.

Ha!!! DON'T!!! I have several friends that are Red Wing fans and I hear it from them all the time.

Any pros or cons you've discovered with this tank?

I like your setup. How are you liking the LED's?

Thanks. Luckily I don't have any cats, but I hope to make it my 18 month olds #1 attraction.

con: jumpers - can't keep certain fish, if you have lids on it, you get some salt creep on the side..

led is perfect for the tank..2 rapidled give a great coverage..

Ha!!! DON'T!!! I have several friends that are Red Wing fans and I hear it from them all the time.

Good answer :) we can be friends now haha

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

I am currently building the stand. I am by no means a carpenter, so I may have overdone it a bit. Better safe than sorry... right? The stand is approx 22"x22"x 36". The last pic is of the back side. There is a opening for a door, even though it doesn't look like it. Still need to trim it out and stain it, but we're getting there.

It's slow going, but I can't wait to get this thing up and running!

84260020.jpg

a0d54229.jpg

312e29fb.jpg

Slow moving! It's all trimed out and the door is hung. Next step is to paint. I bought a 10 gallon glass aquarium for the sump. Unfortunately, the reef octopus NW-110 will not fit. I ordered the Tunze 9002 last night. I built three compartments in the sump. The return will be in the middle compartment. The skimmer will be in the front compartment and the refuge in the back compartment. I plan and splitting the pipe from the overflow in order to drain into both the refuge and the skimmer compartments.

d63148f8.jpg

Will update more soon.

6b4f3254.jpg

4a0c36f6.jpg

Painted the stand tonight. Waiting on the shipment from Marine Depot to arrive on Friday with the Tunze skimmer. Still need to figure out my lighting setup and figure out the plumbing to sump.

• 1 month later...

Very slow going... But progress is being made. The ro/di system from BRS along with plumbing parts and a return pump arrived a couple of weeks ago. The ro/di system is installed and ready to go. I am by no means a plumber! I kept playing around with the plumbing and found an arrangement that worked well for my setup. I have a 10 gallon AGA sump with baffles installed. I have the middle set up as the return area. The front section is the fuge and the rear section is where the heater and skimmer are housed. I have a ball valve in the down pipe going into the skimmer section so I clan control how much water enters this section. The remaining water flows into the fuge section. By adjusting the ball valve, I can get a slow flow through the fuge section. Probably not the most ideal set up, but it worked in my test run. I actually capped off both ends of the down pipes in order to lessen the sound of water splashing. My hope is that the water will flow out of the holes, verses splashing around and creating bubbles in the sump. This is TBD. This may be hoosier, but I found this 5 gallon gas can that fits perfectly next to the sump. I am going to use this as my ato resevior. I just ordered the double switch ATO from autotopoff.com. In the meantime, I plan on organizing my wires and figuring out my lighting.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

a0c7a48c.jpg

53cf56ac.jpg

26222f61.jpg

bc9911ab.jpg

Archived