Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BC29 Media Basket DIY

like-fish

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

IMAG0080.jpg

Eggcrate and 2 small sheets of plexi came from Lowes, twisties from garage. 3 hours later success!

IMAG0081.jpg

The plexiglass is intended to direct flow a bit. Flow is top down through first stack. Filter pad (cut big to ensure all water passes through), then chemipure elite, then chaeto on bottom (can be used for whatever in the future). Water passes through bottom and is exposed to chaeto in next chamber. Plexigalss at end hopefully creates some flow from bottom to top and over the plexi to give chaeto a chance to do its thing. the plexi adjacent to the 3rd wall in the sump wanted to pull against it (due to water flow) hence the orange twist tie to serve as a spacer (worked great). it also had an added benefit as serving a handle to make install and removal easier.

The basket was played with a bit to allow for stability and tight fit. If you count squares and look at arrangement reproducing it would be easy.

i had to dremel out the rear flange on the tank top to allow for install and removal. Nothing too difficult (For the record I am not very handy, Im just cheap and wanted to try to DIY).

IMAG0084.jpg

The tab between chamber 1 and 2 cut out easy.

IMAG0079.jpg

I used a piece of plexi, heated it in boiling water while applying pressure with pliers and it bent slowly but fairly easy. Spillway worked first attempt! I do need to push the filter pad under the spillway a bit then fold it into the top tray to prevent water from flowing behind the filter pad (situation caused by the width of the eggcrate) If you try this design you will see what i mean.

IMAG0083.jpg

I succeeded in getting 100% of the water to pass through filter pad and its a great improvement!

I did find that the chaeto was getting into my 3rd chamber without the sponge filter in place. Unacceptable to me so i cut down the sponge divider a bit and continue to use it. Not sure if the cutting served a purpose but it seemed like the thing to do. Clean it weekly with my water changes.

IMAG0085.jpg

Well, thats about it, not too tough and a bit rewarding. I know this is not a new idea, just my spin on what has already been done.

Comments / critiques / questions welcomed!

Archived