Pod Your Reef

Cheap, Easy & Clean Looking Build For ATO Container

nyknicks4412

So I am pretty OCD about how things look. When it came to my auto-top off system I simply could not stand the thought of running line from a bucket on the ground or some other large container to a pump and then to my system. I wanted a container that I could connect a line to, that would fit on my desk, that would be easy to fill and that woud look good. A forum member named chucktdbm321 gave me the idea to do this because he did it himself so the credit goes to him. I just figured I could contribute a brief guide and show everyone what the finished product looks like.

The build requires three items. A water dispensing container and a ketchup bottle top which can be purchased at Walmart for under $5 and aquarium sealant which can be purchased at just about any fish store.

Below is the container and ketchup bottle top.

photo1-1.jpg

1.) Remove the container dispensing mechanism and seperate the o-ring from it.

photo2-1.jpg

2.) Reattach the o-ring like so.

photo3.jpg

3.) Screw on the ketchup bottle top.

photo4.jpg

4.) Take the sealant pictured below and seal the ketchup bottle top to the container. Allow it to dry.

photo1-2.jpg

5.) Attach a line that goes to your ATO system to the ketchup bottle top and seal it.

photo4-1.jpg

6.) Attach the end of that line to your pump.

photo5-1.jpg

Hope this may inspire some others as well. I really like how the finished product came out. It was simple, easy and cheap but most of all it looks good.

Here is a picture of the final setup behind my tank with the line heading to my ATO in tank mount.

photo1-3.jpg

And here is the ATO system in the tank.

photo2-3.jpg

Builder Anthony

i had that container overhang a little over a shelf and the weight of the thing caused a crack in the corner.so i would make sure its totaly flat and have a towel under it to cushion it

i had that container overhang a little over a shelf and the weight of the thing caused a crack in the corner.so i would make sure its totaly flat and have a towel under it to cushion it

Mine isn't overhanding anything and is just sitting on my desk. Think it will be good? I will put a towel under it but I don't have room to lay it flat unfortunately.

Archived