Alkalinity: 9.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2

Phosphate: 0

maintenance

dose 2ml vinegar, 1.5ml brightwell coral color, 6drops brightwell AA

feed every other day; PE mysis, cyclop-eeze, BRS reef chili

weekly 5 gallon WC, empty and rinse skimmer cup.

livestock

fish:

carpenter flasher wrasse jumped ship

tailspot blenny eaten by the coral banded shrimp

gold banded clowns back to the store

2 blue eye cardinals

pair snowflake clowns

inverts:

2 pompom crabs

coral banded shrimp

emerald crab

8ish hermit crabs

snails from reef cleaners

lps:

pipe organ

acans

dunkin

xmas favia

sps:

purple monti cap

red monti cap

blue polyp green monti cap

rainbow monti

sunset monti

blue polyp yellow monti

monti setosa

blue beetle monti

forest fire digi

green polyp purple digi

ORA tri color

ORA plum crazy

ORA hawkens blue

ORA red planet

ORA purple plasma

ORA joe the coral

tyree pink lemonade

pink tableing acro

fuzzy green acro

teal staghorn

green stylophora

pink birds nest

green polyp birds nest

blue tort

green slimer

April 2012fts

dab6a7c2.jpg

march 2012fts

98897165.jpg

FEB 2012fts

5bb032d4.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some of you may remember my 45 cube. at the end of october MA got hit hard with a hell of a snow storm. i lost power for 4 days, there was little i could do to save the tank. ( i will be prepared in the future)

after the storm i cooked all of my rock for 6 weeks. and was going to give the 45 another try BB. i ran the 45 for little over a month. lets just say it was hard to even look at the tank after losing everything. i just wasn't feelin it. i needed a fresh start something different.

and this brings me to... nix shallow happy land. same equipment, same stand, same rock. new feel.

679e9f94.jpg

a0bd7431.jpg

3970a4ae.jpg

got a bunch of snails today from reef cleaners.

i honestly dont know why anyone would get a clean up crew anywhere else.

i ordered a splitter/reducer for my loc-line return. i am having trouble with the sand blowing around. so i hope splitting the return will help.

i also ordered some more mangroves. i like the idea of having a small mangrove forest in my tank.

i am a little worried about having enough nitrates in my tank for the trees to thrive, because of the bio-pellets. once the new clean up crew go to work on the dead HA. i may reduce my pellets by half.

i may even get rid of them all together over time and just run GFO/carbon. i didn't really have luck with the pellets in my last tank, but i figured that i would give then another try. they are doing a great job of keeping my nitrates and phos down. phos has been undetectable since the 2 week and what HA had grown during that time is now just a pale fuzz.

got my CUC yesterday from reef cleaners, and yet again so many more snails than i asked for. i ended up bringing a bunch of them to my buddy. they have already gone to work on what algae i have left.

while at my friends i returned 2 corals that i was babysitting. i did frag both of them the xmass favia and the large green acro in the pics. he also gave me a frag of a blue staghorn and some of the purple monti that was growing so well in my cube. i hope it does as well in here. the dried piece that died in the storm is almost a foot across.

i took out about half of the bio-pellets. i want to slowly take them off line because i want to have some nitrates for the mangroves. i did order a BRS reactor and will be running a GFO/carbon mix. when it arives next week i will take another half of the remaining pellets out, run both for a week and then take the rest.

i split my loc-line return from 3/4 to two 1/2. the sand is not blowing around now, and i have better overall flow. i was even able to turn my mp10 up a little more.

c491cb43.jpg

i am going to take a bunch more pics tomorrow

got my mangroves from reefcleaners. as well as a bunch of hermit crabs. not much else to talk about so on to some pics.

full

ef7c14a4.jpg

front

97458a74.jpg

side

f705a88d.jpg

future forest

bcf8355f.jpg

acro i fragged from my buddys

34a79390.jpg

sump

324e8a78.jpg

full fuge shot

c24b52b3.jpg

i am going out to RI tomorrow i hear there are some cool shops around providence. i hope to find some cool stuff.

went to RI yesterday and got some cool corals. took the pellets offline and im having a bit of a nitrate spike. phos is still 0 with hanna checker. the nitrates are about 15-20 on with api kit i did a 5 gal WC today and i will prolly do another 5 tomorrow. im not sure where the nitrates are coming from ammonia and nitrites are still 0. my brs reactor should be here wednesday and i will start running gfo/carbon.

now for some pics

monti

c7a67c4a.jpg

birds nest not as happy looking as i would like it to be, think it the high trates.

f359d77c.jpg

pallys

958b8fc0.jpg

zoa garden in the works

181c6cc3.jpg

clam 1

1401f1c1.jpg

clam 2

26cb7a81.jpg

acan garden in the works

52f680b8.jpg

red monti and blue stag

7bd93922.jpg

purple monti

5bd6806c.jpg

green acro

804dac97.jpg

acro i got yesterday

c92d7181.jpg

rainbow monti

bd85bb53.jpg

blue tort

be000bdd.jpg

other new acro

b0cc27c1.jpg

nice tank man, btw did the sump setup come along purchased with the deep blue 30g tank/stand?

Thanks. No the sump is a DIY sump that i made it started as a 20 high. There is a little more info on it in my 45 cube thread.

Wow...I feel like I'm looking at my tank...so...I like it! Looks really great man. You have inspired me to turn my sump length wise. At first I didn't like it, but I think it makes so much more sense. I think you may have a bit more rock than I do, but your coral selection is almost identical...weird. Anyway, sweet build. When LEDs get a bit cheaper I might try building a light as well.

What skimmer do you have? Looks like a RO. Do you have an ATO? I'm having issues with keeping a steady level in the skimmer due to an increase in evap probably caused by the additional heat of the pump. It's real balmy in the cabinet. I was thinking about adding 1-2 PC fans in the back, or sides.

What skimmer do you have? Looks like a RO. Do you have an ATO? I'm having issues with keeping a steady level in the skimmer due to an increase in evap probably caused by the additional heat of the pump. It's real balmy in the cabinet. I was thinking about adding 1-2 PC fans in the back, or sides.

thanks man i have been following your tank as well.

it is indeed a reef octo nw110. ive been in this hobby a long time and its one of the best skimmers ive had.

i do have an ATO system, i got is from autotopoff.com it was super cheep but works well. i built a freshwater chamber into my sump that hold about 4.5 gal. the last chamber on the right

129760ef.jpg

my skimmer is not effected water loss from evap because its in a separate chamber from the return.

if you have space for an ATO, it is well worth it. my SG never changes. the only thing to look out for with an ato is that. when you acclimate new livestock you are taking out saltwater, your ato will ad fresh to replace it. let this happen to many times and SG goes down. this has happen to me.

my sump actually sits front to back like yours, my stand just opens on the side. i have the back open so that i can fit the 20h in there.

putting fans in the cabinet would be a good idea to keep heat down. i have to put a fan on my sump in the summer. the fans will create more evap.

did you get a chance to split your return yet? it made a world of difference for me.

Thanks. I haven't split the return yet. What difference did it make? I'm getting good glow in most areas with the mp but with the split I could get less/more flow where I need it.

Thanks. I haven't split the return yet. What difference did it make? I'm getting good glow in most areas with the mp but with the split I could get less/more flow where I need it.

With just the single 3/4 return and having my mp10 on the back wall, I had to keep my mp10 at less than50% or the sand in the front corner would blow all over the place. I also had an area of lower flow on top of the rocks around the overflow. With it split I have one 1/2 pointed across the top rock and the other pointed tward the front glass, and I am now able to turn my mp10 up to about 75% without a sand storm.

acro i got yesterday

c92d7181.jpg

I have this. Got it a while ago when I had a BC. Didn't grow at all until I started using Reef Crystals. ANd now that I have a much more stable tank that thing is really taking off. Looks really nice when it starts growing out.

Heres mine

073664BF-6A46-4B10-8731-CF8D7E284F54.jpg

The tips have double in length from this pic that was taken only 1 month ago.

Archived