Innovative Marine Aquariums

My First Saltwater Tank! 20H

coley54

FTS - April 2012

FTS.jpg

Hi everyone. I started my first saltwater tank this past Saturday so I figured I may as well start a thread of my own. I've lurked for a long time but never posted. So here we go...

426728_10150491974721551_649281550_9214260_1161898834_n.jpg

Pardon my water spots, lol.

Here's what I've got in there:

20 pounds of Live Aragonite Reef Sand

7 pounds of base rock

12 pounds of live rock

2x Koralia 240 Powerheads (I now feel after watching for a couple days, that I should have gotten bigger ones...we'll see I guess.)

Modded AC70 refugium

Aquasun T5 HO (hold two bulbs - 1 Actinic and 1 'Ocean Sun' 10k bulb)

Not thrilled with my lights but they'll do for the moment. So like I said, I've been up since Saturday....I've tested my water twice.

Salinity - 1.026

Ammonia - 0.25

PH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10ppm

I haven't put anything in the tank as I plan on taking it real slow but the live rock carried in 3 brittle stars, another star that I couldn't identify and has attached himself somewhere I can't find him and a snail of sorts.

Soo...thats my start. Be gentle, lol. I'm sure I have screwed up something somewhere. Can't wait to 'meet' you all!

Hi everyone. I started my first saltwater tank this past Saturday so I figured I may as well start a thread of my own. I've lurked for a long time but never posted. So here we go...

426728_10150491974721551_649281550_9214260_1161898834_n.jpg

Pardon my water spots, lol.

Here's what I've got in there:

20 pounds of Live Aragonite Reef Sand

7 pounds of base rock

12 pounds of live rock

2x Koralia 240 Powerheads (I now feel after watching for a couple days, that I should have gotten bigger ones...we'll see I guess.)

Modded AC70 refugium

Aquasun T5 HO (hold two bulbs - 1 Actinic and 1 'Ocean Sun' 10k bulb)

Not thrilled with my lights but they'll do for the moment. So like I said, I've been up since Saturday....I've tested my water twice.

Salinity - 1.026

Ammonia - 0.25

PH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 10ppm

I haven't put anything in the tank as I plan on taking it real slow but the live rock carried in 3 brittle stars, another star that I couldn't identify and has attached himself somewhere I can't find him and a snail of sorts.

Soo...thats my start. Be gentle, lol. I'm sure I have screwed up something somewhere. Can't wait to 'meet' you all!

Hey Coley and welcome,

Thanks for stopping by my thread and your kind words. I'm pleased you posted a link to your thread so I can follow along on your build.

Me likes your scaping, looks like a good solid start and it looks like it has a lot of great places to attach some nice corals. B) Be sure to get yourself a good CUC once your cycle bottoms out. Try ReefCleaners for the CUC, John will hook you up with a great package with tons of extras. I swear he can't count, if your package calls for 50 critters you'll get more like 150. His prices are great and he gives great costumer service.

So what's you stocking plans?

Keep us posted and keep those pictures coming. Remember, "if you don't post pic's, it didn't happen!!!!" LOL

Rob

Thanks Rob! As far as stocking plans...Of course I'm going to have a clown...Not sure if I want one or two. I also really like the yellow watchman goby and my husband likes the green clown goby. I also really like a few of the blenny's...The barnacle blenny happens to be a favorite of mine. I think they are funny. I know I can't have them all do to overstocking so I'm not really sure what's going in there. My husband is pushing hard for the green clown goby...But seeing as I don't tell him what to put in his cichlid tank, he gets no say in my nano, lol. He's lucky I kind of like them too. My mind changes every day on what I want to put in there so its a good thing I'm still cycling. I wouldn't mind having a cleaner shrimp...maybe a peppermint as well. I need to research them a bit more and figure out if they'll be ok together. As for corals, I really like the zoas...great colors. The kenya tree and assorted poylp's...I like all those. Ugh, I'm not sure, lol. Open to suggestions!!! I'm not at all good with making final decisions.

Thanks Rob! As far as stocking plans...Of course I'm going to have a clown...Not sure if I want one or two. I also really like the yellow watchman goby and my husband likes the green clown goby. I also really like a few of the blenny's...The barnacle blenny happens to be a favorite of mine. I think they are funny. I know I can't have them all do to overstocking so I'm not really sure what's going in there. My husband is pushing hard for the green clown goby...But seeing as I don't tell him what to put in his cichlid tank, he gets no say in my nano, lol. He's lucky I kind of like them too. My mind changes every day on what I want to put in there so its a good thing I'm still cycling. I wouldn't mind having a cleaner shrimp...maybe a peppermint as well. I need to research them a bit more and figure out if they'll be ok together. As for corals, I really like the zoas...great colors. The kenya tree and assorted poylp's...I like all those. Ugh, I'm not sure, lol. Open to suggestions!!! I'm not at all good with making final decisions.

Speaking from a mans' point of view, let him have his Green Clown Goby, got to keep the hubby happy too. :D:) They are really cute and have a unique personality. I was sick when mine decided to surf the carpet.

If I was stocking your tank I would get the following,

1. 2 small Occy clowns ( add them both at the same time)
    1 Green Clown Goby
    1 small YWG
    1 Firefish
    1 Cleaner Shrimp

Since most of these are smaller fish and if you are diligent about WC's should be okay. I would not try to stretch it any further. IMO, you really need to have a strong CUC in place before adding any fish. Your CUC will help keep your algae blooms to a minimum and believe me you will have the blooms. Your choices for coral sound great. I would suggest a few mushrooms and a small piece of Colt coral. If your colt is happy it will grow VERY quickly as will the Kenya tree.

I'm not all that familiar with your new lighting but you might be able to get a piece of Red Cap Montipora.

Lastly and only because I'm partial to them, a Maxi/mini nem. There are some real beautiful colored varieties that will add a nice splash of color to you tank.

These are only my suggestions and I'm sure others will add some ideas too. Keep up the great work and post pictures often. Posting pics helps to keep you motivated and you can follow along as your tanks matures and grows. I often go back and look at some of my early pics to see how things have changed.

If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask.

Rob

Who's patiently waiting for two coral shipments!!!!!!! Tis gonna be like Christmas. LOL

Oh, GSP is a good choice too, it grows quickly and adds some movement to your tank. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I meant to ask about the maxi/mini's...I heard they can be tough. I do like them though! They have great color! And I am thinking I probably will let the husband have his green clown but I'm gonna push for him to start another tank to keep Oscars in, lol. I love them. He won't go for it but its all good. As for my clean up crew...I've already got Reefcleaners saved into my favorites bar. I'm just waiting for some algea to grow before I order anything. My levels in the tank have been fairly steady with no real changes so I'm waiting to see when I'll start to get the bloom. I wasn't sure about my lights either...a friend has them on his 55 reef tank and his tank looks great and has been running for at least a year I think. So I figured I'd give them a shot while I save up for the lights I really want or til I can ask for them for Christmas...whichever comes first. :)

Alright...well, I'm off to camp! Have fun this weekend everyone! Fingers crossed for some algea and/or cycle-action in my tank while I'm gone!!

So...these pics aren't the best but can anyone give me their thoughts?? I have this star...keep him or take him back to the LFS??

DSCF0847.jpg

I can't tell what kind he is.

Here's my hitchhiker snail.

DSCF0848.jpg

He blends in real well.

And these other pics are just stuff thats starting to show up on my rocks in the way of color.

DSCF0853.jpg

DSCF0852.jpg

Oh, and all my levels are now at 0 (minus PH which is at 8.2) ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are at 0 (Nitrate is in between 0 and 5 but closer to 5 so I went with 5). Nothing really spiked that high. Ammonia never went above 0.25ppm and Nitrite's never went above 0. Guess I'll test for another week and see where I stand. Anywho...let me know your thoughts on that star! Please and thanks!!

bpatterson617

Hey, looks like you are off to a great start! I really like the rock work by the way!

In my very unprofessional opinion, I dont think you saw much of a cycle since you used the live sand and mostly live rock. I could be wrong but I would still give it a week or so before adding anything to be safe.

I dont really know anything about most starfish so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. The snail definitely looks like a good thing, one less member of your clean up crew to buy! :P

Good luck and keep the pics coming!! :D

Thanks b! I am thinking along the same lines with your thoughts on my cycle. I think the extra week (though tough) is the right idea lol. Thanks for the kind words and I will def see what someone else with more star experience for help with that! I can't wait to really get going, lol.

Keep the hitchhikers, they should be just fine. Great pics by the way, can't wait to see some colorful corals in that tank of yours.

How was camp?

rob

It wasn't bad. We hiked something like 18 miles...7 on Friday before we stopped for camp and the rest on Saturday before we ended up at Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest to camp with our friends families who have small children who never would have made the hike. I'll tell you what though...I hurt in places I didn't know existed, lol. Thanks for asking! :)

It wasn't bad. We hiked something like 18 miles...7 on Friday before we stopped for camp and the rest on Saturday before we ended up at Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest to camp with our friends families who have small children who never would have made the hike. I'll tell you what though...I hurt in places I didn't know existed, lol. Thanks for asking! :)

Sounds exhausting!!!!!! :o Hey at least you had good weather for it. I know here in Tampa it's been great, highs right at 80. Can't ask for much nicer weather for this time of year! B)

The weather was amazing! Are you guys getting all that rain we are supposed to be getting today?? I think we'll miss quite a bit of it...it seems to not hit Palm Coast at all. Its probably the last hike (Long hike anyways) for the year as things should start heating up here real soon.

The weather was amazing! Are you guys getting all that rain we are supposed to be getting today?? I think we'll miss quite a bit of it...it seems to not hit Palm Coast at all. Its probably the last hike (Long hike anyways) for the year as things should start heating up here real soon.

No rain as of yet but I'm hearing thunder in the distance. We really could use some rain, it's been a few weeks without.

So have you given any additional thought on your stocking plans?

I'm kinda liking the list you suggested. Give or take the firefish...I'm not in love with the firefish but I don't hate them either, lol. I know you keep maxi/minis...How do you like them? How difficult are they??

I'm kinda liking the list you suggested. Give or take the firefish...I'm not in love with the firefish but I don't hate them either, lol. I know you keep maxi/minis...How do you like them? How difficult are they??

Love my Maxi's. I've not had any issues with mine that I'm aware of. You do need to feed them but that's no problem. Here's a link to website regarding them. Hope it helps. Coral Mag, Maxi/Mini's

Rob

Hi everyone. Well, everything was still looking good so last weekend I added my cleanup crew and everyone is doing awesome and active. I had been making noise to my husband this week when my water still looked good about wanting to add a fish or two soon. Well, for Valentine's day, (early) he came home with a clown and a yellow watchman goby. May have been a little earlier than I wanted but both are very active (the clown more so then the goby...although he's very active if i'm not near the tank, lol) and eating well and my water parameters still looks awesome. So, not the best pics, but here are my new guys:

My un-named Clown my husband insists on calling Nemo.

DSCF0884.jpg

I'm about to set up a quarter jar...every time he says Nemo I'm gonna get quarter towards the aquarium fund, lol.

And this is Grumpy Bill, lol.

DSCF0878.jpg

And here is where Bill hides when I come around...

DSCF0857.jpg

So yeah...might have been a little soon but I hadn't seen a change in the parameters in over a week.

Also, I found a couple people on craigslist who have frags for sale. Can you guys tell me what I should be looking for when I go to see these frags? I don't want to be garbage but I'm not totally sure what I should be looking for. Suggestions from you awesome people??

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new to add. My water readings are all still really awesome. Been doing my weekly water changes on Wednesdays. I mix my salt and what not on Tuesday night and then do my change out after work on Wednesday. Got the chaeto for my refugium and also a Porcelain crab. He's pretty darn cool when he shows himself. The fish are doing well. Really well. The clown eats like a pig and the only time I ever see Bill is when its feeding time and if I stand back from the tank. The clown is really funny...and ACTIVE! He (everything in my tank is a 'he' until it proves otherwise, lol) likes to mess with the snails as they climb up the glass. He swims back and forth across the front of the tank really fast and as he comes to a snail, he whips them with his tail. Its kinda funny. I really need to get some corals in there. Nothing seems to be going right with getting to the LFS's though. Something always comes up and we haven't seemed to have a weekend off in months (and won't for the next 3 weeks either) so hopefully soon! Anyhow...thats all I've got. The batteries died in the camera so no pics to add. Not much new to take pics of anyhow though, lol. Alright. Thanks for sticking with me if you made it this far. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! If I can find a new set of batteries I'm going to try to take some pics of the tank to share even though not much has changed since my last post. I gave me hermits some empty shells to play with it and they've been playing musical shells, lol. Except for one of them who I guess absolutely loves his big white shell. My parameters are really good and everyone seems really happy. No corals yet but I hope to change that this weekend. I made friends with someone who also keeps saltwater tanks and has a bunch of newly healed frags that I'm going to swing through and check out this weekend. My CoralRx should be here tomorrow so I should be set for that.

So I felt like I could use some more flow...so I just bought two Koralia 425s. My intention is to keep one of the 240s in my tank and replace the second 240 for the tank my husband wants me to build in his man cave. Then each tank would have a 240 and a 425. I'm wondering if I don't want both 425's in my tank?? What do you guys think?? Should I jack the 425 I bought for him and order him new ones when we actually get around to setting up his tank or will a 240 and a 425 be sufficient? Thoughts??

I would say try it with the 240 and the 425 for a while and see how you feel about it. If you're still not satisfied, try both 425s :) Trial and error.

Archived