Cultivated Reef

*Blue's RSM 130*

colormyheart

Red Sea Max 130

I started this tank on January 26, 2012. After the ballasts blew on my BC14, I decided to just upgrade tanks instead of replacing them. Lucky for me, there was a used RSM130 on Craigslist in Phoenix! We planned a road trip and got it for a steal. It was in good condition, just needed a little cleaning. After a long vinegar soak, it looked great! Anyways, on to the good stuff.

Lighting

28 LED's

18 Royal Blue & 10 Neutral White

The stock lights were replaced with LED's in May 2012. I purchased a retrofit kit online from stevesleds.com and shipped him my hood for him to install it. I highly recommend him as his work was outstanding, there were no issues whatsoever. Great customer service as well!

Filtration

I'm currently running the InTank media basket with filter floss, Purigen and Chemipure Elite. I've definitely noticed a difference in my water clarity. I should soon be getting the Tunze 9002 skimmer with the upgraded collection cup by StevieT.

Livestock

1. True Percula Clownfish
    2. Black and White Clownfish
    3. Mandarin Dragonette
    4. Diadema Dottyback
    5. Peppermint Shrimp
    6. Emerald Crab
    7. Crocea Clam (?)
    8. Small RBTA

Corals

• Green Hairy mushroom
  • Purple mushroom
  • PPE zoas
  • Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas
  • Eagle Eye zoas
  • Ked's Reds zoas
  • Alien Glow zoas
  • Red and blue acans
  • Green and blue acans
  • Sun corals
  • Christmas favia
  • Green and blue favia
  • Neon green branching montipora (?)
  • Maroon acropora (?)
  • Short tentacle GSP
  • Long tentacle GSP

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! And I don't know, I guess I'll find out soon. My LFS swore on it, and since it was only $10 I bought it just for kicks. It smells absolutely DISGUSTING. Like rotten eggs and rotten things and ew.

Yeah, yeah. I'm buying live rock this weekend. I've been wondering if I should use the one from the BC or just start over, and I'm leaning towards the later. I hate the rock in the biocube. Plus, my sister gave me $50 to buy reef stuff, so I'll just use that and what I have for new LR.

I probably will, Squared. :) The LR at the LFS is suprisingly nice, purple and porous. And it's $6 a pound, soo.

Iball, yeah that's exactly what I'm planning on. Just have to wait for the tank to cycle and whatnot.

Devil, yeah I know you are. And the rock has GHA, so screw it.

dry the old rock out then. 50$ isnt going to buy you enough LR for that tank.

I'm going to either a.) dry the rock and use/sell it later, or b.) throw it in with the BC

I have $85 altogether.

my must you insist on making the picture so damn small. haha

Because I feel like it, but mostly because they come out too blurry if I make them any bigger.

devilsadvocate

well at 6 dollars a pound youll need about 180 dollars for the tank.

Because I feel like it, but mostly because they come out too blurry if I make them any bigger.

:tears:

well at 6 dollars a pound youll need about 180 dollars for the tank.

More like 150, maaaybe 175. I really want a clean, open look. The extra money can come from my brother-in-law, Joel, who gives me things when I make the right faces. :D

once you move all the coral, maybe like leave the lights off for a while to kill the gha...

The lights have been off in the BC for like 2 or 3 weeks, and still a lot of GHA. Oh, and the corals are at the LFS right now.

scrub the rocks, do a big water change

Eh, even then I would just love to replace the rock. And even if I were to keep it and use it to cycle the RSM, there would be no rock in my BC. :(

yeah, beating algae isnt that hard. ive done it twice. and im in the process of doing it on my 15.

You're talking to a girl who can barely handle a water change, much less defeating GHA.

devilsadvocate

well, you gotta learn how to deal with it, or you just going to repeat this in the rsm, regaurdless if you use the old rock or not

Archived