inTank Media Baskets

My fluval edge 6gl

mattidallama

Have had this tank for close to a year now and its been a zoa tank, a seahorse tank and now, hopefully its final setup, a mantis tank.

FTS as of 10/6/12

2012-10-06_17-13-50_95.jpg

Fts as of 3/11/12

2012-03-11_16-57-16_726.jpg

fts as of 1/23/12

2012-01-23_13-18-49_943.jpg

fts as of 1/08/12

2012-01-08_12-12-15_287-2.jpg

fts as of 12/26/12

IMG_20111226_200649-1.jpg

Led set up with 3 white leds 1 blue and 1 voilet 3w leds

2012-01-23_13-17-42_54.jpg

Fish is tank:

1 green clown goby

Inverts:

1 red mantis (3in)

Macros:

Gracilaria

Caulerpa Prolifera

Halimeda

Codium

Ulva

• 4 weeks later...

Got the cut set from reef cleaners.com and got ride of turbos. Got rid of 1 clown added a pom pom and Zebra porcelain crab and sexy shrimp as well as a few more zoa frags and a frog spawn. Plan on getting rid second clown to LFS if it keeps bothering my frogspawn.

• 7 months later...
mattidallama

so i let this thread die.. i sort of stoped posting on this tank after i got a biocube 29. but now im breaking that tank down and working on starting a 75 so i moved my 6 gallon fluval to my nightstand and move my red mantis to the 6 from the 29, he is only 3 inches and tiny. will post new pictures when i can rearrange the macros in the tank so it dont look like they are just there

• 3 weeks later...
looks tits.

Rofl that used to be a favorite saying of mine and a friend's a DECADE ago :-P

I'm lovin the majano. I have a couple hitchhikers that I hope to grow into big boys. Mine are just neon green. Still neat looking :-)

my newest pest if you can call it that. might be the prettiest majano i have ever seen

2012-10-24_11-34-52_797.jpg

Hey, how do you like the mantis? i would like one but im worried it wont be much to look at, also worried that itll be to aggressive for me to put any coral in the tank, do they ALWAYS stay completely hidden or atleast partially out? Beautiful mantis, never seen one like that

do to the smaller size of the tank mantis comes out and explores all the time. in the morning when i get home from work he is usually staring at me. I have learned to add all my coral and such with long tweezers so it is not too bad he usually only is aggressive if i put something directly in front of him and he things he is being threatened but its best to just stick to tweezers because of the neck of the tank and such.

That, my friend. Is an N.wennerae . Nice tank too

Thanks for the info so he get a little bigger at 8cm he has such great personality he know when you have food and will play with you with the food quite fun to see.

Cirrhitichthys

Bowser; Mantis shrimp are extremely intelligent. Once they know who feeds them, they can be very interactive and fun to watch, granted you get a diurnal species. Many peeps keep mantids with corals. Just make sure you glue them down so it won't decide to become an interior decorator, and use said coral as a door, room divider, or worse, as a bathroom mat.

Mattidallama; Happy to help. There are a number of other species he could be, as many Neogonodactylus have white meral spots, and a couple others from different genus(geni?) do too. But N.wennerae is the one of the most common, and they make great pets. Good luck,

~Cirrhi

jedimasterben
Do you think a Sow flake Eel and a Mantis Shrimp would get along? or would they kill each other?

No, they wouldn't get along. I wouldn't keep an eel with anything you like.

Bad idea. The mantis will surely zap the eal. They have a powerful punch. Or the eal will kill the mantis.

either way, bad idea.

I have one mantis (smithi) in my 15 gallons nano with a lot of corals. It is not disturbing any of my corals. It does dig tunnels in the liverock. I have 2 clownfish and 5 green BTA (they keep splitting) and they are doing well with the mantis.

In the sump I have another one, a female chiragra and I want to set up a Fluval Edge for her. They are really cool creatures. Don't expect them to be out and about all the time. They are shy creatures and if someone is not prepare to accept having a mantis that is hiding all the time, then that person should avoid getting a mantis. Some will be less shy but it is always a risk that it will be shy. Mine are both shy but they do come out on occassion.

Do you think a Sow flake Eel and a Mantis Shrimp would get along? or would they kill each other?

Archived