Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

I figured I would start a new thread as this is officially happening and no longer just a concept.

The tank you see below was built buy Aqua-Crylic (aka Aquatica). It is a deep blue 7.5 gallon (12x12x12) that has been customized with a false wall and media rack. The total display looks to be approx 5.5 gallons, but I need to measure to find out for sure.

Equipment:

• Custom Deep Blue 12" Cube
  • 2 Hydor Evolution Pico 400
  • Custom Media Rack
  • BoostLED Par 30
  • Hydor Theo 25w Heater
  • ReefKeeper Lite

Pictures

Here is the media rack:

DSC_0764.jpg

Here is the back:

DSC_0769.jpg

Here are some top shots:

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

Front Shots:

DSC_0768.jpg

Tank Inspectors:

DSC_0746.jpg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on what to put in the media rack? I was thinking Cheato on the top rack, but wasn't sure what to put on the bottom. What would you all suggest?

I guess chaeto on the top will work. Purigen next, then filter floss at the bottom.

Those little pumps work really well! I've got one.

I guess chaeto on the top will work. Purigen next, then filter floss at the bottom.

Those little pumps work really well! I've got one.

Thanks!

The media rack only has 2 shelves (was meant to have 3 but wasn't designed that way). Anyways, I can either have another shelf added.

Or, can I simply put the filter floss at the bottom under the last rack where the water returns? Or will it flow into the return sections and cause issues doing this?

Hmmm in that case I'd put filter floss on top, then purigen on the bottom.

Purigen, in little tanks, is much better at absorbing nutrients than chaeto.

Hmmm in that case I'd put filter floss on top, then purigen on the bottom.

Purigen, in little tanks, is much better at absorbing nutrients than chaeto.

Ok, I can do that.

How much purigen should I get? I heard that it can be re-used by simply bleaching it/washing it out. Is that true?

Ok, I can do that.

How much purigen should I get? I heard that it can be re-used by simply bleaching it/washing it out. Is that true?

That's true. Steve have small bags of it for like 11 bucks

Well, I took my pico to my office and after work I filled it up with water to do a wet test.

Pictures

New Home:

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

IMAG0440.jpg

Wet Test:

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

I filled it up all the way first and then turned the pumps on. There was no gurgling.

I then unplugged them, took out a little bit of water and turned them back on. At first there was gurgling but then I added more water back in. This seemed to fix that real quick.

The chambers were a little low of water, but yet no gurgling.

If that problem persists, especially with evaporation, you can snap off a tooth here and there to create better flor into the AIO section. At least that's what I did, and has worked pretty well.

Ok. Thanks.

I wonder if another option might be to take it back to the store that made it and have them cut the holes a bit longer to let in more too?

I'm going to pick up some live sand at lunch today. Will either add it and water today or tomorrow.

When should I add the media to my media rack? During the cycle or afterwards?

I used that stuff in a larger grade and it was awesome.

Awesome! Thanks!

If I remember correctly, I should have about a 2" Sand Bed right? If so, I believe 10lbs should be enough :)

I picked up sand at lunch today. I was going to purchase live sand, but this looked a lot nicer:

IMAG0441.jpg

Thoughts?

I have that sand in my tank but i am having problems with the powerhead and the sand :(

And the filter makes holes on it

Archived