Coral Vue Hydros

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

And so it begins!

My tank and lights just arrived from Micro-Reefs.com this morning. Well ahead of Schedule!

8E6F6869.jpg

9B790F4E.jpg

I'll unpack it and take pictures when I get home from work.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, it's home and out of the box!

First Impression: It's very well made.

8BE68E30.jpg

Second Impression: It's beautiful, too.

30E4690E.jpg

Here it is next to my 2 gallon pico. Quite a bit larger!

EF117F7A.jpg

Stay tuned for more pictures as I start setting it up!

JamieSheffield

How does cleaning one of these compare to cleaning a glass 10G tank? Can you use a scraper or do you have to get more specialized?

Good Luck, and I can't wait to see more pics as the tank gets set up!

Jamie

How does cleaning one of these compare to cleaning a glass 10G tank? Can you use a scraper or do you have to get more specialized?

It's a similar cleaning process to cleaning a glass tank except you obviously can't use a metal scraper or razor blade. You want to be careful that sand doesn't get under your scrubber pad as you're cleaning down near the bottom of the tank, but that goes for a glass tank as well. I put a small scratch in the glass of my 2 gallon tank that way. Coraline algae can be scraped off with a plastic razor blade (they sell them at home depot), or you can use the edge of a credit card. There are plenty of acrylic safe cleaners out there. That said, this will be my first acrylic tank, so I did a bunch of research.

What are the dimensions? It's not a standard sized 10, I like the look a lot better.

Well, technically speaking, it is now a standard size at Micro-reefs.com after I ordered mine. He liked the size enough to add it to their lineup. Just go to their website and check out the 10 gallon tank. It's only $133.50, which seems like a great deal to me for such a nicely built tank. I mean, it's really nice, and I'm OCD picky. You'll have a hard time finding a better tank, and the price really doesn't reflect the level of quality. It's under-priced if you want my opinion.

The dimensions are 24"x10"10". It's really pretty big if you ask me. For such a small volume, it seems larger. I think, due to the extra length, it can happily support fish better than say a cube. Most fish like to swim horizontally and not vertically, so it gives them more room. My sixline is gonna be stoked when she gets into this (and I laugh a little when I use this adjective) monster big tank.

In addition, it's designed to take an Aquaclear 70 HOB filter. Look up the reviews on that filter, it's really good.

Anywho, it's a great tank, and every single post I've seen regarding Microreefs.com's tanks has been extremely favorable. I'm glad I went with them.

Ok, here's an official update! This is a crazy busy weekend. Between getting ready to move in with the fiance, to a worldwide Saab rally that I attended (I'm a Saab master technician), to picking up a big pile of awesome live rock from an established tank that a local reefer is breaking down, I haven't had any time to set up the tank yet.

So, here's a lovely picture of the new live rock in a bucket. It's going to be an amazing rockscape.

91369119.jpg

The live rock came with two different small colonies of zoas, and a small patch of GSP. :-)

I meant compared to the standard glass 10 gallon :) 24x10x10 is a good dimension.

The AC70 is nice, are you going to fuge it? I made an AC110 into a fuge for my 20H and really liked it. They make a surface skimmer attachment you can get off Dr. Foster and Smith that works great with it and keeps your surface film free.

Yep, I'm getting a media basket from InTank for the AC70. It'll have filter floss, chemi-pure elite and cheato.

Looking good, I got a shipping update on my 8g . They moved my delivery to 1-17 , so a few ,more days of waiting.

Just know that I hate you for living closer than I do allowing you to get yours first. :mellow:

The last of the pieces arrived for the 10 gallon today! The InTank media basket for the AC70 and a submersible 10 watt halogen fuge light.

6AE1C757.jpg

If I can sneak out of work a few minutes early tonight, I'll pick up some sand and start assembling the tank tonight!

The quality of the media basket is excellent. Laser cut, perfectly assembled. Worth the price, imo.

Archived