ReefCleaners.org

Pooh's 14G Cube

Deputy_Pooh

I'm a happy new owner/member to the biocube family. So far, I love this tank. I had a Aquapod 12G and I hated that tank bc there wasn't many mods and upgrade features available. I tried to make it rimless and I managed to crack my tank. :huh: It turned out to be a blessing bc I saw that marineandreef.com sold topless BC14's for $70. I cudnt pass it up and I knew many others had established successful reefs out of BC14's.

a40e3bf8.jpg

:D

f7a83ef7.jpg

Once I received my tank, I started the cycling process right away as I already had equipment on standby.

a7a1f1d9.jpg

3fa8bd92.jpg

b834f14c.jpg

89bb28fd.jpg

First mod was the overflow addition and media basket install.

5a1068f4.jpg

Media basket consist of Floss, Purigen, and Chemi-Pure Elite

6584672f.jpg

I added a koralia 425 powerhead to the display area and swapped out the stock pump for a maxijet-900

eda26cd8.jpg

61d1299c.jpg

I used a dremel and removed the 1/4 inch lip around the back of the open top to allow for my metal halide fixture and heater to fit properly

9d13903c.jpg

I installed a JBJ K-2 Viper 70watt metal halide fixture. Fixture has a brand new 2 week old 14k ushio bulb. I'm replacing this bulb bc it is too white and yellowish. My corals look brown under this bulb. I bought a 20k ushio bulb and that will be installed shortly. Also on the fixture I added a blue LED light for a 24hr moonlight feature.

9dd06ba5.jpg

I let the tank cycle for about a week and then I added my livestock. So far everything seems to be going well. I'll be posting more updates periodically with coral growth or mods.

More pics..

02bdae2c.jpg

668558d0.jpgedf2e49f.jpg6979b512.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newly added yellow watchman goby. His name is Stewie...

9c8185b3.jpg

6bb1889d.jpg

I have my JBJ ATO unit arriving shortly so I decided to reroute my electrical work underneath my stand to make the ATO pump and reservoir more safer under my stand.

5da36f0f.jpg

ff1801c8.jpg

Full nano setup

f2d572cb.jpg

I did a water test today. My saltwater test kit is about 5yrs old and I know there are probably better ones on the market but at least its better than nothing.

9a5898a5.jpg

Ph is between 7.8 and 8.4

e227eb15.jpg

Nitrite is 0

11f67680.jpg

Nitrate is 0 - 5

132ecf86.jpg

Ammonia is 0

d0d1dcfd.jpg

My water levels are perfect :D

I keep my salinity at 1.024

Mailman dropped off my 20k bulb, aqua lifter pump, JBJ ATO and my filter media to hopefully last me until late spring..

d676e253.jpg

I love my new bulb :D .. Tank looks awesome with the blueish tint. This phone pic does no justice.

0cdf3d58.jpg

Even my dog loves the new look. :P

c144dc2a.jpg

• Like 1

Installed my JBJ ATO. I played around with it for about an hr before I installed it on my tank.

42e08b8e.jpg

I only used one senor and placed it in Chamber 3 with my return pump.

cf77d053.jpg

9350991f.jpg

I mounted the control box inside my second shelf with my other electrical outlets.

6c9040be.jpg

168f2736.jpg

The aqua lifter pump is placed behind my tank. This $11 pump is very powerful and efficient enough for a 14 gallon tank. It pulls water up from my bottom shelf which is about 2-3 ft, then it pushes the water up to my chamber which is about another foot and a half. The flow is low but it gets the job done. Overall, I'm happy with the install.. B)

I added a firefish and a tiger pistol shrimp to my livestock. Shrimp will be nearly impossible to photo. maybe after months of him living in my tank i will see him more..

6aea8977.jpg

7d501dbd.jpg

My tank is one month old.

c5ab5227.jpg

More updates to come. I think I'm going up buy a decent camera this year for better pics..

Since my tank is now housing a:

perc clownish

firefish

yellow watchman goby

peppermint shrimp

tiger pistol shrimp

4 turbo snails

6-7 hermit crabs

several mini corals : hard and soft

I'm going to change my filter floss and do a 1 gallon water change every Monday and Thursday. I think my bio-load is pretty high, so I will try to keep my water parameters stable by taking this approach.

Really nice set up.

And thanks for the pics as I didn't know where to put my 425.

I have the stock nozzle and the 425 pointed somewhat upwards bc its a strong flow in there. Also I like to keep the surface water constantly moving to keep down on the slimy film from stationary water. With the flow pointed upwards, I still have my kenya tree, star polyps, and xenia moving pretty actively at the sand bed of my tank..

Thats a great looking tank. Just watch that shell collector you have in there.. a.k.a. mr. sneaky pistol shrimp! When I moved my tank I had to remove most everything and under his house rock was all my missing hermit and snail shells, empty of course!

Thats a great looking tank. Just watch that shell collector you have in there.. a.k.a. mr. sneaky pistol shrimp! When I moved my tank I had to remove most everything and under his house rock was all my missing hermit and snail shells, empty of course!

wow, thats funny.

I want to buy somebodies stock hood if interested. I want to try a cheap DIY led retro fit kit.

I have one, the ballast is broken. I assume that doesn't matter if you want to do a DIY led.

I have one, the ballast is broken. I assume that doesn't matter if you want to do a DIY led.

That wud be great :D

Pm sent..

Also I've never had a hood on this tank. Wut was the temp your tank stayed at with the hood attached. I really dont want my tank to go above 79. It stays at a consistent 78 with the open top and a mh. My house stays around 76-77.

That wud be great :D

Pm sent..

Also I've never had a hood on this tank. Wut was the temp your tank stayed at with the hood attached. I really dont want my tank to go above 79. It stays at a consistent 78 with the open top and a mh. My house stays around 76-77.

I did this before making the switch. The LED's are actually a bit cooler than the CFL's on my BC29. Where my tank is currently though there is no airflow, it's in like a dead zone, so the heat just kind of sits there, so I leave my lid cracked open. Keeps me around 79-81 in my tank.

I just ordered my JBJ ATO, I now need to go get a pump. What would you recommend? Similar set up to yours, the resi will be on the bottom pumping up to the tank.

Archived