ReefCleaners.org

Xenon's Fluval Edge 6G build thread with pics

xenon

I have been in and out of the hobby for years and every time I get back into it, my tanks keep getting smaller and smaller! This time I decided to get a Fluval Edge because I loved the modern/minimalistic design. I also like that you can view everything from the top.

The light fixture on my tank is from a 12G Fluval Edge. It has 42 LED lights with 3 of them being moonlights. I have been told its only 6watts total lightning power so this will be something I will need to replace soon.

I was not that impressed with the flow from the AC20 so I decided to take it out and replace it with a Vortech MP10ESW. Flow is no longer an issue. :)

I currently have a true perc and fire shrimp in quarantine while I wait for the tank to cycle. I added 10lb of Caribsea live sand with a mixture of dryrock and cured liverock so I don't expect the cycle to last very long.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another OVAS member. It's Adam, although I doubt we have met. I remember your 90 gallon with the 40 breeder sump. Very clean build.

Another OVAS member. It's Adam, although I doubt we have met. I remember your 90 gallon with the 40 breeder sump. Very clean build.

Yep, that's me!

I built that system in 2007. I am surprised you still remember it. :)

Fun times.

What're you looking to replace your lights with?

I am still researching it. I want to make sure it fits comfortably under the stock hood.

nice tank what do you plan to keep

I have a true perc and fire shrimp in QT. I will be getting a jawfish. Not sure if it will be a pearly yellowhead or bluespot.

I am still looking for an active swimming fish that will be happy in a 6G tank.

Subscribed.

I have a Ebi, Edge 6 (old) and new Edge 12. I saw a nano salt water tank 10g at the LFS and admired its beauty.

I'd like to try a salt nano tank.

Very interested in what you do to this EDGE!

Still working on the aquascaping. We are not completely happy with it yet.

14.JPG

This is my makeshift quarantine tank. I refuse to have multiple tank syndrome. lol

15.JPG

I spent more time on aquascaping. It's challenging because of the light fixture position so I am pretty limited to what I can do for coral placement. It's a mixture of dryrock and live rock so its going to look terrible until they are covered in coraline.

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

Love the scape... how is inside that tank when the MP10 is going?

At the lowest setting (200gph) its perfect. I can increase the flow a little more but it starts to disturb the sand.

When you do the math, that's 33X turnover so its more than enough.

Are you going to rely on any mechanical filtration or just water changes?

My goal is to keep this tank as simple as possible so I wont have any mechanical filtration, just water changes.

My goal is to keep this tank as simple as possible so I wont have any mechanical filtration, just water changes.

Wow it sure looks cleaner without the AC20

You just convinced me to remove my ac20 today just use powerheads and water changes.

I will only be keeping a fish and a few inverts.

I also plan on only keeping macros(which should help with nurtients.)

Hmm ive debated taking out my AC20 too I only have floss in it and I do weekly 20% changes...I used to use cemi-pure elite but its become pointless with my WCs

I picked up 6 more frags today but its not worth taking pics because the lighting they are under does not do them any justice.

I am using my studio lights while they sit in QT. I figured a few people might get a good laugh. :)

21.JPG

Hmm, I've considered taking the HOB filter out of my Edge 12g. Do you think there's enough flow with your powerhead for good oxygen exchange in the water? I have a Koralia 425. Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm a newbie still!

Archived