Top Shelf Aquatics

55g Mixed Reef - Sumpless

ccapasso

Hi all!

I first stumbled upon this site looking at nano tanks. However, shortly before I joined, I had just purchased a 55 gallon tank from Craigslist.

Original FTS:

IMAG0336.jpg

FTS 6/6/12:

FTS060612.png

Here is a list of the equipment:

55 Gallon Tank

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer

AC110 Modded as Fuge

300W Heater

Hydor Koralia Evolution

Hydor Koralia 2

Nova T5 HO Lighting

Livestock:

Maroon Clownfish

Talbots Damsel

Scopas Tang

Mandarin Goby

Fire Fish

Six Line Wrasse

Yellow Watchman Goby

Pistol Shrimp

Brittle Starfish

Clam - Need to Id

Cleaner Shrimp

Fire Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

Corals:

Mixture - More Details later

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looking good man. id paint the back of the tank black

Thanks!

I've been thinking of doing the back of it black. However, instead of paint (which would require me to drain it and move everything), I was thinking about putting vinyl on there or something.

The problem is, I don't know where around here to get black vinyl to apply to it. Will probably make a topic about finding some and see if anyone knows, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good so far. If I were you, I would take advantage of going from a nano to a 55 and use that extra height to get a nice piece of tall rock, or maybe build up some rocks that you have already.

Thanks! I actually did it the other way around lol. I went from a 55g to a pico lol.

Anyways, I have approx 25+ lbs of dry rock that I can add to this still. However, whenever I do any re-work, I'm going to take the time and do it the way I want it the first time.

When I set this up from purchasing and moving it, I put all of the rocks in blindly as the water was cloudy.

So I need some help/advice here.

As you can see, I have a Maroon Clownfish and 2 damsel fish. I am tired of the one damsel fish (the 3 stripe one) being so **** aggressive towards everything. As such, I'd like to get rid of him

However, I'd like to keep my clown and maybe the other damsel (seems pretty mellow). What would be some fish that I could put in there that would get along?

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help here please....

I don't have the ability to have a sump (cats...they'll eat it)....So I was thinking of doing a Fuge mod on an AC70. Would that work or do I need to go bigger like the AC110 ?

Need some help here please....

I don't have the ability to have a sump (cats...they'll eat it)....So I was thinking of doing a Fuge mod on an AC70. Would that work or do I need to go bigger like the AC110 ?

Finnex makes a larger HOB setup. I'd consider a DIY acrylic one too. They're easy to make, and the bigger the better!

Also, your goby has the funniest expression. He looks so surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is, I don't know where around here to get black vinyl to apply to it. Will probably make a topic about finding some and see if anyone knows, lol.

Try a tint shop or any sign shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. And yes, he is big indeed. I am currently uploading a video of the tank in its most current condition :).

• 2 weeks later...

You should have set up the fuge and let it get going for a long time before you bought the mandarin. Without a sump or breeding area outside of the tank itself I doubt you'll be successful long term with him. I know the rock is established and what not but he could wipe out the pods that you have now and start starving. Might want to slow down a little, just saying.

Keep a close eye on him. If he loses any weight then take him to an LFS. I would suggest getting that HOB fuge setup asap with chaeto so that way your pods can breed in the live rock and in the fuge. It creates a dual pod population and the ones in the fuge have the option of traveling to the display tank.

Or you can buy pods online and then put the foam that they are sent in into the fuge. This way you're almost dosing the fuge with a pod population from the start. My fuge is literally crawling with pods and therefore my display is as well keeping my mandarin fat and happy.

You should have set up the fuge and let it get going for a long time before you bought the mandarin. Without a sump or breeding area outside of the tank itself I doubt you'll be successful long term with him. I know the rock is established and what not but he could wipe out the pods that you have now and start starving. Might want to slow down a little, just saying.

Keep a close eye on him. If he loses any weight then take him to an LFS. I would suggest getting that HOB fuge setup asap with chaeto so that way your pods can breed in the live rock and in the fuge. It creates a dual pod population and the ones in the fuge have the option of traveling to the display tank.

Or you can buy pods online and then put the foam that they are sent in into the fuge. This way you're almost dosing the fuge with a pod population from the start. My fuge is literally crawling with pods and therefore my display is as well keeping my mandarin fat and happy.

Thanks for the feedback.

The ac110 is modded as a fuge and is running chaeto in it. In addition, I purchased some pods online and put them in the fuge so that there could be 2 areas they live.

I've been keeping an eye on him and will continue to do so.

Here are the 4 frags I picked up tonight:

Frag #1

Top View:

chalice1topview.png

Front View:

chalice1frontview.png

Frag #2

Top View:

icechalicetopview.png

Front View:

icechalicefrontview.png

Frag #3