Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trainer 262 - New Journey into the Reef

Trainer262

Trainer 262's New Journey into the Reef

IMG_5101-1.jpg

So far, I have loved everything about this new hobby!

Well, almost everything...

I found myself fighting a battle with Brooklynella.(story to come)... Lost two of my fish to it. A Blue Spotted Jawfish and a Picasso Clown. It was horrible. The remaining two survivors are still being housed in the hospital/qt tank, now along with a new addition we added Saturday(thank you Blake at MCF!).

With the horrible and devasting Brook, comes lessons learned. I will always QT from now on, no matter what!

Tank:

29gal Biocube

Lighting:

Aqua Illuminations SOL Blue

Fish:

Misbar Ocellaris ("Nemo"-cant get my 4yr old to name "her" any differently)

New baby Black and White 1/2 Misbar, 1/2 full bar Clown ("Clowny" named by my 6yr old)

Yellow Clown Goby

Yasha Goby

Possible Future fish: Midas Blenny

Inverts:

Cleaner Shrimp

1 Red Legged Crab

Several Blue Legged Crabs

Asteria Snails

Margarita Snails

Derasa Clam (husbands LARGE purchase :o )

GBTA

Future Inverts

Starfish of some sort

Coral:

Assorted Acans

1 Yellow Ricordea Mushroom

1 Yuma Mushroom

Superman mushroom- supposedly (not sure it will make it)

Dendros

Blastos

Open Brain

Purple Pocillopora

Assorted Acropora

Assorted Millipora

ORA Joe the Coral

Assorted Zoa's

Water Parameters:

Salinity: 1.23 Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 0+to 5

Calcium: 380-400 Alk: 10-11 Phosphates:0

...so to keep a long story short, this is what happened several weeks back.

Bought a blue spotted jawfish.(LFS qt's everything but bsjf and I didn't know this)...

Bsjf was carrying brook... he was fine for first week and a half, but clearly the stress from yet another tank was too much, he got sick and died. That sucked! Badly.

IMG_6480-1.png

2 or 3 days later my Picasso looked like he was getting ich...by the next morning he was covered in this white coating and not looking good. I ran out and grabbed everything I needed for a hospital tank and started treating with Formalin. The next day he died. Brooklynella took over him so quick he didn't have a chance. Through research I found out that bsjf along with a few other fish are most likely to carry brook. That sucked even worse!

IMG_4660-1.jpg

I had to treat my other two fish, a clown and yellow clown goby for brook as well. They survived. Barely. The goby was on his last breath and the next day made a full recovery...Strange but true :)

So on to some better stuff...

Good start. That open brain is hawtt as well.

Thx :)

ok.. so the goods...

Tank with ceiling mounted AI SOL

IMG_5032-2.jpg

The 3 Amigo's (the 2 survivors and the new baby B&W clown)

IMG_5140-1.jpg

The photogenic clown goby

IMG_4699-1.jpg

IMG_4699-1.jpg

LOL is he the only one not in QT?? if so he probably thinks of himself as ruler of the inverts the alpha goby

Purple Pocillopora

IMG_6483-1.png

Derasa Clam

IMG_5083-1.jpg

Open Brain

IMG_5055-1.jpg

Dendros...Acans...Mushroom

IMG_5047-1.jpg

IMG_4699-1.jpg

LOL is he the only one not in QT?? if so he probably thinks of himself as ruler of the inverts the alpha goby

No, this was prior to the hospital tank. The "momma' clown is ruler no matter where she goes and she ;ets it be known. But she did get very buddy buddy with the goby when it was just the two of them.

Sick! Noce job with the the AI mount to, it looks nice and clean!

Thanks! :)

I had to do some serious convincing that hanging the AI unit from the ceiling was the way to go.... Now if I could only hide those cords!

saltwatercoral

WOW the CLAM and the BRAIN is amazing! If you dont mind me askin how much did those cost ya! I want to get atleast 3 clams and a few open Brain's! Sick tank, keep the updates (and PICS) coming!

WOW the CLAM and the BRAIN is amazing! If you dont mind me askin how much did those cost ya! I want to get atleast 3 clams and a few open Brain's! Sick tank, keep the updates (and PICS) coming!

Thanks SWC! :) (I missed this as I've been watching for your fill up lol)

I have a great place an hour away and they have TONS of coral! (they also ship) Everything I have at the moment has come from there. Open brain was $65 and the clam was about $65 too. Then they had a 25% off sale going on so they were even less! I <3 my LFS :)

I started up the Purigen in my tank a few days ago... I already can tell how well it's working. Wish I had purchased it sooner!

This qt/hospital tank is driving me nuts! I have 2 weeks left till I can add them bact to the main tank.

This morning my one clown didn't eat...(pellets AM, Rods PM)....

I'm so tempted to add them back in the main tank but I don't want to take my chances with re-infecting them with Brook.

Crap!

After countless hours of reading, asking questions and just stressing over new issue of clown not eating(probably due to my fight with nitrites in hospital tank-P.I.T.A!)...

They have MOVED BACK HOME!!!!!! (to the main tank)

I had no choice. -_-

The outcome may be grim no matter what. I did what I thought was best.

The main tank has been fallow almost 5 weeks. Can I guarentee that the Brooklynella is gone? - nope.

And thats the hardest part to all this. The current 3 Amigos are much happier in non toxic waters and hope they can go back to life before Brook.

I would love to take a new FTS WITH fish...but don't want to jinx myself.

Here is to Day one back home! :)

GL! Hope it works out!

I don't know what I would do if I had to catch everyone!

Thank you! :)

I think you would be surprised. It's not as hard to catch them as you think :)

:Sigh of relief:... All fish are looking good so far. The 1 clown is still on a hunger strike, but looking 100% from what I can tell.

And that yellow clown goby.... He is perching up on the new little SPS frags like nothing ever happened. Talk about a resilient fish!

I'm wondering... IF Brook is still in the tank, how long till it rears it's ugly head again? I would think pretty quick? Whatever might be remaining has to be starved since there has been no host.

Tank happenings:

Clown is eating...

No sign of parasites in tank....

Glued/puttied some frags(HATE doing that)...

Discussion in the house of a new custom tank!!!!! :)

And.....

A New Yasha Goby!!!!! :D

(now if I could only get a pic!)

Archived