Coral Vue Hydros

Numbus's 21 gal. Acrylic Box!

numbus

Alright, this is my forum! It's about my 21 gal. tank and... Well, to give the short version: My brother got too busy and decided to pass this tank down to me with livestock and all. Here is everything about it!

Tank Overview: January 6, 2012

BetterTankOverview.jpg

Tank Overview: June 3, 2012

TankOverview6-3-12.jpg

Technical

Equipment:

• Tank:
    21 gal. Acrylic

• Lights:
    AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Lights Fixture 24" (T5 HO + 10,000k + LED)

• Filter:
    Marineland Biowheel Penguin 150

• Skimmer:
    Aquatic Life Internal Mini Skimmer 115
    *New!*

• Heater:
    Theo Hydor 50W

• Pump:
    Hydor Koralia Nano 435 (425 gph)
    *New!*

Livestock

Corals:

• Duncan

CoolAngle1.jpg

• Hammer

HammerNikonBlue-White.jpg

• Purple-ish Zoas

• Red Acan

RedAcan-1.jpg

• Candy Cane

CandyCane.jpg
    This is actually not a picture of the Candy Cane. While I was gone my parents took care of my tank and the Candy Cane died, but they replaced it with a new one.

Fish:

• Green Mandarin Dragonet

MandarinNikon2.jpg

• 6-Liner Wrasse

6-LinerWrasseNikon-1.jpg

• Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish

BlackOcellarisClownfish2.jpg

Inverts:

• Bulb Anemone

Anemone.jpg

• Green Bubble Tip Anemone

NewAnemone.jpg

• Derasa Clam

ClamNikon.jpg

• 10 Turbo Snails

TurboSnail.jpg

• 5 Nassarius Snails

NassariusSnail.jpg

• About 15 Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs

• 5 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

• 2, maybe 3 Red Crabs (Haven't seen them for a while...)

VeryGoodRedCrabPicture.jpg

• 3 Emerald Crabs

EmeraldCrab.jpg

• Fanworms/Featherdusters

Links

Thank you for your time! :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those mystery crabs are fiddler crabs and you can fix your title by clicking edit then "full edit." You can change it any time.

I'd like to hear what your equipment/maintenance list is so we could make some suggestions on how to improve it.

Welcome to NR.

What kind of bulbs are in the fixture and how many bulbs does it have? My concern is that they look like 6500k bulbs which is fine for growing the coral but is bad for their color.

What media do you have in the biowell (take out the actual wheel, it adds to your tanks nitrates by harboring bacterial that convert waste into NO3)?

6 bulbs in all

Two 10,000k's, two 420/460's, and two LED's

In real life it is pretty easy to tell that they are 10,000k's but since I took that particular picture with my phone (because it's my background :P ) it makes it look like they are duller and 6,500k...

Nice drawing =0)

How long has the tank been up? Looks like it is cycling from the algae ... yet you have a clam and a mandarin in there so I am guessing it is quite established?

Nice drawing =0)

How long has the tank been up? Looks like it is cycling from the algae ... yet you have a clam and a mandarin in there so I am guessing it is quite established?

My brother had this tank for 2 years. He got the Mandarin about a year ago just as an early adult or even a "teen" :P When he passed the tank over to me we had to do some hard work on the tank because there was a ton of algae and lots of coraline. Unfortunately his clam died (probably rapid temperature drop, everyone was in shock. In fact when my brother had the tank, there were three shrimp, but two of them went cannibal and ate the third -_- and when we transferred everyone to the tank after my brother and I cleaned it, both shrimp were looking terrible. Surprisingly the one that seemed least likely to live was the one that survived and is in the photo... He fell upside down four times in the middle of the night). Anyways, the Six-Line Wrasse and the Clam in the photo are new, the Mandarin has been in the tank for a year. And all that algae is some that was hard to get off, along with us not wanting to mess with the rocks after spotting two humongous Bristle Worms. So yeah, I guess it's a well established tank :)

Those mystery crabs are fiddler crabs and you can fix your title by clicking edit then "full edit." You can change it any time.

I don't think they are Fiddler Crabs O_O They don't have one big claw and one normal sized one...

What media do you have in the biowell (take out the actual wheel, it adds to your tanks nitrates by harboring bacterial that convert waste into NO3)?

Yeah I also totally forgot about this question... I have a Rite-Size B Media... Hope this helps O_O

Okay, I feel like I'm talking to myself right now, but I don't care, I'll just keep on updating >_<

I was having a territorial dispute between the Wrasse and the Clownfish, but it soon got under control and they don't seem to be having any problems with each other anymore except the occasional opening of the spinal fins. At first I thought I should get an anemone to protect the Clownfish, but now I think I should get an anemone jsut for the hell of it. I was wondering if anyone actually reads this and can answer it, if they think my system can support an anemone. I was thinking about a Haddon's Carpet Anemone which would most likely stick to the sand and hopefully not get too big for the tank. Opinions, opinions...

Alright... Thanks for the suggestions guys :mellow: I got a Bubble Tip Anemone. I originally thought that it was a Rose BTA because it was red-ish brown in the store and is now, however it was priced at $32 to the usual $90 and was green in the actinic LEDs... Also got a Red Acan Frag

Okay, I'm not going to get a SINGLE response am I? Who cares, here I go:

Before I got the Clownfish the clam used to close up all the way at night. The first time I put the Clownfish in the tank the first thing it went to was the clam. Now, at night, the clam opens up with just enough space for the Clownfish. My 6-Liner was nipping the poor guy (The Clownfish) so I wanted to get him an anemone. I was told that he would host the anemone near night-time. It's the next day and the Clownfish hasn't even noticed the anemone plus it's mid-day and now all he does all day is snuggle on the clam. He's moving, he gets out once in a while, and he doesn't seem sick at all, but my parents are being over-worrisome and are thinking: "Oh no! He's not moving! HE'S DYING!" I'm telling them that he's not dying and he's fine, but now they want me to get "verification" with other reefers, so here I am. Also, I just want to know why he's picked the clam and not the stinging, protective anemone... Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted for a long time. Anyways, yay for new Candy Cane frag! I have the feeling that I'm adding too much too quick... But you know what? The tank is beautiful! :D Pictures + Addition video tomorrow, as well as a random (and first) update video. :o

EDIT: Maybe on the 31st -_-

DOUBLE EDIT: I'll upload it when I upload it. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I am honestly not joking I hope that somebody reads this because my hermit crabs are dropping like flies. I went from 10 to 5 hermit crabs in at least a month.

Nothing else seems affected, I don't have an "accidental" mantis shrimp that magically appeared in my tank as my best guess is that my clam would probably be dead by now. And if I did the hermit crab shells would be broken, but these hermits just stop, die, and slip out of the shell and float freely. Also, they are Blue Legged Hermit Crabs.

10 HC --(2 weeks)--> 9 HC --(1 week)--> 8 HC --(4 days)--> 7 HC --(2 days)--> 5 HC (2 died this morning).

HC = Hermit crabs O_O

I checked my parameters, they're fine. To that one person who accidentally stumbled on this forum, please help. And thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry guys, I've been busy and even more than busy I've been lazy, I still have about five videos I need to edit and some pictures O_O

Okay! Back on track. Posted an apology video and a picture in the gallery (bam!) and currently working on editing my next video.

I've taken a sudden crack down and managed to get three videos up (One is uploading right now).

Soooooo, it's been two weeks and the Hermit Crab Crisis is over and haven't had any deaths for a while. However, there is still a Clean-Up Crew Crisis, as with the decrease of hermit crabs there is an increase in algae. The tank is just plain out disgusting. So I went to my LFS yesterday and picked up some new critters:

• 5 Nassarius Snails
  • 5 more Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (Actually 6, there was a miscount :3)
  • 3 Emerald Crabs

The Nassarius Snails will sift through the sand and get rid of this putrid, red slime algae that is beginning to grow, the hermits will compensate for the lost ones, and I got three emerald crabs because lately I have only seen two red crabs (By the way, they are called plain out "Red Crabs", not "Fiddler Crabs".) for at least two months now and I'm just assuming the third is dead, so I thought three emerald crabs would bring a nice round number of five crabs.

Anyways, I'm editing the Additions Video right now and I will get pictures up in the gallery whenever I can get pictures of any of them (I believe getting a picture of the Emerald Crabs will be difficult, as well with the Nassarius Snails because they are always shell deep in the sand. But I think a picture of the Hermit Crabs will just be useless).

Thanks to all of you paying attention. ;)

Archived