Cultivated Reef

SoFit 3G pico orphek led

SoFit

Hello my name is tony, located in southern California and I Will be using this thread to document my tank.

Equipment:

Jbj picotope

Orphek par 30 led 3w3b1uv

2 Hamilton timer

Ac 70 mod ( filter floss and chaeto)

Rena 50 w smart heater ( IMO most reliable and accurate heater I ever used)

DIY gravity fed ATO

Current USA led moonlight strip

Stock 9w 50/50 bulb for my chaeto

Livestock:

5lbs of live rock

3.5 lbs of live sand

3 sexy shrimp

Corals:

King Midas Paly

Armor of god Paly

Eagle eye zoa

Captain America paly

Darth maul paly

Sunny D paly

Vivid rainbow paly

Green star paly

Pink clove paly

Yellow button paly

Green button paly

Vivid lemon lime zoa

atomic green zoa

And 2 unnamed paly

Clean up crew:

Reefcleaners custom crew

Salt : red sea pro

Picture :751113ce.jpg

afc26e5e.jpg

f3b4f578.jpg

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like a great start. Any stocking plans yet ?

Yeah... A rico garden on the left .. Some lps

Maying pulsing xenias. Many mushrooms

And a helfrichi firefish

I'd recommend reconsidering the xenia.. it would take over a tank that size pretty quickly.

Nice looking setup so far.

Tested my tank with an API tester

An ammonia 8.0ppm

Ph is 8.2

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Salinity is 1.025

Tank is sort of cloudy should I use filter floss?

Tested my tank with an API tester

An ammonia 8.0ppm

Ph is 8.2

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Salinity is 1.025

Tank is sort of cloudy should I use filter floss?

Definitely use filter floss. That will catch anything that is floating around in the water column. This looks like a great start. I really like the scape, sweet caves and stuff.

Definitely use filter floss. That will catch anything that is floating around in the water column. This looks like a great start. I really like the scape, sweet caves and stuff.

I love one of my caves it's a rock with a hole that's like 1 inch or so all around and it's like 4 inch long too

How much are helfrechi's? They are really cool

Most places sell them for 100$?

I got a place to sell me for 50$ :)!!!

And added: I just put in some filter floss in chamber #1 of my ac70 so hopefully my tank will clear up :)

I would recommend against the firefish because the tank is too small... but if you still decide to get one, make yourself a lid because it will jump. Nice start though!

I would recommend against the firefish because the tank is too small... but if you still decide to get one, make yourself a lid because it will jump. Nice start though!

Thanks for giving me the advice. I will think it over and research more. This build will be very slow so no worries!

Update: after adding filterfloss in my tank. When I woke up which was 8 hrs or so later my tank looks crystal clear :)

Update :

Tested my water parameters again

Ammonia went down 4.0ppm

Nitrite : 2-5.0 ppm

Nitrate : 40ppm

Salinity: 1.025

Temp: 78

db9f0f0f.jpg

Islandoftiki
I'd recommend reconsidering the xenia.. it would take over a tank that size pretty quickly.

I think it depends on the tank and the variety of xenia. My pulsing xenia has stayed put and hasn't split at all. It has gotten larger, but if it splits, I'll just attach it to a plug and sell it to the LFS. It's the first thing everyone comments on when they see my tank. Hard to imagine my tank without it.

I think it depends on the tank and the variety of xenia. My pulsing xenia has stayed put and hasn't split at all. It has gotten larger, but if it splits, I'll just attach it to a plug and sell it to the LFS. It's the first thing everyone comments on when they see my tank. Hard to imagine my tank without it.

Does my water parameter looks good so far?

I believe cycle just ended or so..

Diatom!!

900d71b3.jpg

Also checks my parameters

01/09/12

Salinity 1.025

Ph 8.2

Ammonia 0 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

nitrate 0 ppm? Maybe 5 ppm

Looks good?

When I had my jbj picotope, i made a lid very easily out of acrylic, you just buy a sheet of acrylic, and cut it down to the size, with the opening for the HOB, and whatever else you have. I still have my lid if you want I could take a picture of it to show you. It really helps to cut down on evap which was the main reason I did it.

I like the way your ATO came out.

When I had my jbj picotope, i made a lid very easily out of acrylic, you just buy a sheet of acrylic, and cut it down to the size, with the opening for the HOB, and whatever else you have. I still have my lid if you want I could take a picture of it to show you. It really helps to cut down on evap which was the main reason I did it.

I like the way your ATO came out.

Thanks yeah would love I see ur lid.. Imme some ideas.. Yeah I made it out cardboard but maybe when I have more time I should head over to homedepot and make a better looking bottle holder but for now... I guess I don't need to fix it because it's not broke? Lol works perfect.

Wierd. I changed my filter floss last night and this morning my diatom disappeared and I noticed some green algae around in patches all over my rocks

Tested my tank one more time before water change and about to buy my cuc from reefcleaners.

Tested 1.025 salinity

78 temp

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

0 nitrate

8.0 ph

Just mixed up my water . Going to change 40% tomrrow

Archived