inTank Media Baskets

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

This is my first real build. A Deep Blue 30 Gallon shallow aquarium. Pre drilled, built in overflow, plumbing kit. Completely reef ready. And the stand is cool too. ;) I saw it in the LFS (Congressional Aquarium in Rockville). They have it running as a frag tank with a 250w MH Coralife light. Anyway, I loved it and had to have it. Great thing was...it was not expensive. Yeah OK, the stand is a little cheap and leaves something to be desired due to the sticky laminate areas, but the construction is sound and the stand is also reef ready for any tank with those dimensions. So let's get down to it with some pics and then I'll post my TENTATIVE plans.

This is my Inspiration

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/DSC00677_zps21da2b02.jpg.html]DSC00677_zps21da2b02.jpg[/url]

Link to my review of this aquarium:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=313332

Updated FTS (outdated lol)

DSC00657_zps7943afbe.jpg

The real updated FTS (I'm keeping the old one up until I can get some good shots of the new one. For now here's an iphone supersaturated version!)

null_zps1127616e.jpg

Equipment:

Aquailluminations SOL White (yeah you read it right) Module w/ Controller

Aquaillumination VEGA Color - SOL Upgrade

Ecotech Vortec MP10w

Eheim Jager Heater

Reef Octopus 150 Skimmer

Mag 3 Return

Zoo Med Aqua Fan (buy one you won't regret it)

Arctica Mini Chiller (when I figure out ventilation)

And YES I still proudly rock the inTank Biocube media basket with chemi pure elite, GFO and some floss.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Unboxing:

IMG_6049.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

As I mentioned, this tank comes pre drilled. It also comes with an overflow kit. At first glance the kit was a bit lacking, but since this is the first time I have ever plumbed anything, I had no idea. I installed the kit without directions...and it turned out pretty well. The bulkheads come with rubber gaskets for both sides and seems as though hand twisting with no sealant will keep it tight. NOTE: a small drilled hole is necessary for the return piping so there won't be a reverse syphon during power loss. Also, something I didn't like was the left knob in the picture (the knobs are to tighten the wall you can raise and lower for water height in DT) had to be removed for installation of the overflow pipe. The bulkhead didn't sit flush with the knob there and it wouldn't have been operational anyway so I removed. Hope I dont have future issues as a result.

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

Excellent tank size and dimensions. You will love the shallow rimless style.

I can't wait to see it. Since I started this I wanted a shallow tank. Thanks for looking.

So these are my equipment plans:

16 Gallon High Marineland tank for the sump. This wasn't easy to find. I wanted a larger than 5 gallon sump that would fit length wise into a 24x24. I'll get three to four baffles and do the regular thing, but I'll be using black silicone (hopefully) to match the DT.

In the sump will be:

1. Three Tier Media Rack for chemical filtration

2. Full Refugium (I want 2-3 mangroves for the hell of it, but I need to research how to effectively grow them). I'd like to use my JBJ Nano Glo magnetic LED fugue light from the BC29 HQI. We'll see if that is bright enough and has enough spread for that size fuge. If that doesn't work, I'll use the Aquaticlife Mini T5 I have over the Pico. (BTW that pico is coming down and I'm giving it to a friend)

3. Hydor Internal Slim Skim (The larger one) Not sure if this will go in the Fuge area. I'll have to play around with it

4. Mag Drive 5 pump for the return

At some point I'd like to get a RKL or something that I can use to observe params from my iPhone

In the DT:

The Overflow kit already comes with some locline

I am going to make the plunge into a Vortech MP10. I feel like this tank wouldn't be right without one

I'm goon use my existing Live Rock and maybe get a few more pounds in a shelf form. I have a great idea for a scape; the inspiration I drew from pictures of reef diving in Fiji.

For substrate I'm going to use half sand (not sure which kind yet) and half crushed coral for a natural appeal

Livestock:

My wife and I have decided on an ORA Premium Snowflake Clown pair

I'm searching endlessly for a fish that doesn't need a net to keep him in...in a shallow tank...it'll probably be a midas blenny, or a six line wrasse, but that's it for fish. I don't want a heavy bioload.

As far as corals go there's too much to list, but I definitely want a tabling acro. I'll be keeping the sun coral, BOP, Red and Green Scrolling Monti, Torch and Purple Death palys and Green Palys. Thats probably it.

As for lighting it's clear I will be keeping my Aquailluminations SOL module and blue Stunner Strip. I will be mounting this higher above the surface than on the BC29 and ramping up the intensity. I have a plan to scape the tank in such a way as to provoke dramatic shadows.

That's one of the reasons I chose this. It perfectly fits in the corner next to the loft banister. I wish I could sell my BC29 HQI so I could get this biotch started.

I finally have everything put together and working. I had to get a ball valve to dial down the flow from the mag drive. Which, I will add, I was very impressed with. It way too much flow...

Everything looks amazing this morning. I need a couple more rocks to complete my scape. I'll probably also get a a flat nozzle for the return so I can angle it a bit. The piece it comes with is nice, but it's jacking up my sand on one side. I decided to wait on making the fuge in the sump. Soon, but I want to get an MP10 before anything else. Probably just get some chaeto and block it off with something. I definitely enjoy having so much more space to work with.

I tested everything this morning and all was fine except for nitrates, which is strange to me with so much more volume. I'll test again tomorrow and do a WC if necessary. Some pics in a minute.

Looks like a start of a great tank. Can't wait to see it stocked.

Thanks. Me too. I think I'm gonna take advantage of the cleanup crew sale at the LFS first. Then MP10. Then corals. It is kinda boring w no fish.

Looks like a great start!

Thanks dude. Im glad your back. I remember reading your whole thread on the mangroves. It was like watching a movie with a cliffhanger ending.

Pain is temporary...pride is forever.

I've seen this setup at the LFS and am jealous.

Thanks. Only reason I got it, or even knew about it was it is displayed at the store.

nice glass. B)

Thanks!

Pics!

this thing is getting too big...may have to trade it in but I love it

2CC22023-4975-491D-8283-52C3069685B6.jpg

my fav mini nem

1F96C163-84F9-4379-A89D-F5CCCFAC400D.jpg

Cap Island

44BDBEF5-A41E-4009-B8D6-F7042CF90F2C.jpg

the sump. got some more rock and will get some macros tomorrow. recognize the filtration??

15875D50-0A28-4D56-96ED-4AC395FCEFE5.jpg

the full monti

9114B9CA-28A8-48DB-9594-A6589D098994.jpg

surgicalsense

Cap Island and those dendra's are to die for :blush:

... and your filtration set up, now that is something I can understand :P ... I am sure it is no fuss?

Cap Island and those dendra's are to die for :blush:

... and your filtration set up, now that is something I can understand :P ... I am sure it is no fuss?

Thanks. initially I was going to silicone baffles and make a full refugium, but I learned that if I turn the sump sideways I have room for rocks, macro algae, mech filtration, heater, return, skimmer and maybe even some mangroves later when I figure that out. plus there's still more than half of the cabinet left to work in.

ib4police

I'm not up on this lingo...please explain.

Cooool!

Thanks man! How's the new job coming? At some point I'm going to be asking you some questions regarding sps. ;) Just a heads up lol.

I'm not up on this lingo...please explain.

The tang police. You're going to get scolded at for having a yellow tang in a 30gallon tank.

Lookin good otherwise.

SouthFlorida_Tron
Thanks man! How's the new job coming? At some point I'm going to be asking you some questions regarding sps. ;) Just a heads up lol.

Start Tuesday!!! 5 star hotel opening, can't wait!

Bring it!!!

The tang police. You're going to get scolded at for having a yellow tang in a 30gallon tank.

Lookin good otherwise.

They sell them in the fish store in 10 gallon tanks. Lol. Seriously though, why shouldn't I be able to keep a yellow tang? I'll give it brown algae. Don't worry. They show a white line on their flanks when they are pissed and mine is all yellow. I'll give it serious consideration if some one can tell me a good reason for not keeping it. It's a baby anyway. Bout 1 inch.

Start Tuesday!!! 5 star hotel opening, can't wait!

Bring it!!!

Awesome dude. Give me a group rate when I come down there next year!

Archived