Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 10g Nano Unfiltered

kevlow

Hi All,

I have followed along on NR for a couple of years now and registered earlier this year. I have enjoyed viewing other reefer's tanks and figured that I should post my own tank thread now. Thanks to everyone who has helped make this a great forum.

I have kept tanks for ten years or so and this 10 g has ran for a solid 8 years now. It started as a sump then evolved into a clown tank. Later it was moved to the warehouse and office. It was returned to my house a couple of years ago nearly dead. With alot of love and care it has become a tank that I am very satisfied with.

When I started to revive the tank, my goals were to create a sps dominate tank with little to no filtration. I wanted minimal dosing but regular WCs and resonable feedings. Lighting was important to me. I wanted to experiment with LEDs and try different color and strength combinations.

Tank 10g

lighting: DIY LEDs- 15 RB CREE, 3CW CREE. 1 403 violet stunner, 1 Magenta stunner, 1 CW stunner.

filtration: HOB and floss

Parameters

Temp: 77

Alk: 7.5 - 8

Cal:500

Mag: 1450- 1500

I only dose alk because WCs with esv salt keep the cal and mag high and stable.

I feed 2-3 times a week rotating between Rod's reef, Oyster Feast, and now trying Coral Smothie. Feedings are light but regular. 5g WCs every 4-6 days handles export. My clown only gets Dainichi pellets. He eats them one at a time so there is no waste.

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I have enjoyed viewing and learning from everyone else's thread. I do not post much but spend alot of time reading.

Very nice monti, very nice indeed.

Thank you.

I want to move this out of there asap. I have a shallow 35 DT that is having new growing pains. I illiminated bryopsis but the dinos have made a reappearance. When the 35 is ready, the Red Cap goea over there freeing up space in the 10g.

In the center of that Red Cap is a very nice acro frag. I can not get a good picture of it with my camera and poor skills. It is blueish purple with green polyps. Do not know the name. I want more space for the sps to spread out and to add a few more acro frags.

My favorites the Cali Tort and Tri color, Rainbow monti, green and pink poccis', meteor shower [a weed], and my retarded clown hosting an open brain.

post-62712-1323561884_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1323561920_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1323561943_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1323561982_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1323562023_thumb.jpg

Your tank looks awesome.

Thank you.

I wish I could scrape the brown plating algae on the front glass. I can no longer get my hand in there to scrape without breaking coral.

dang, one of the nicest nanos I've seen in a long time. and lol at the clown :lol:

Thank you Brian.

The clown has been pretty amazing. Years ago this tank was in my son's room as a clown tank with a few LPS and a nem. My son knocked the light into the tank. When I entered the room smoke was filling the room and the water was bubbling and making a frying sound. Clown lived. Two years ago, the tank was left in a warehouse with no electricity when the company moved. It was down to 40 degrees outside. After 10 days the clown was fine. I was able to stop by to feed him but apparently he is cold resistant.

Now he is just a grumpy fish. He has killed any other fish placed in the tank. He will bite my hand if it enters the tank for any reason other then to feed him. At night, he tries to stay wedged in the brain when it shrinks down for the evening. Everynight when this fails, he dejectedly goes to sleep under his ledge.

Very awesome. Sounds like you're having great success with such little filtration. Nice work!

Hi Mitch,

Not much mechanical filtration but alot of export through WCs. 50 - 60 % wc every 5 days or so. If I had the time and money I would wc and then feed every day. One day I would like to do a pico vase tank and complete a 100% wc every day or so. It is hard to replicate the ocean's continuous supply of food and clean water at the same time.

The wc takes only a couple of minutes and keeps dosing at a minimum. The 55g system I have started would be too much to run the same way. I am liking the 10g or smaller idea more and more.

kevin

Well, I knew it was going to happen. I just did not think it would happen this fast. The green Hydno Grandis [the Dill Pickle coral] just attaked, slimmed and consumed half of the green acro sitting to it's right. Will have pics when the wife unit gets home with the camera.

This has forced me to remove the center Red Cap to the larger shallow display tank. Need to make room in the 10g to spread things out. Problem is the larger tank is still having new tank issues and I did not want to put any corals of value in it yet.

It is tough to see a coral such as this acro, get disfigured like this. It started out as a small dark brown blob on a plug. Took a long time encrusting to be a big brown blob. Then finally colored up to green to rust colored skin with bright green polyps.

Now I am re arranging the tank to create space. Have to isolate the Hydno. It is too aggressive. I would just get rid of it but it is the wife's favorite coral.[Yea, go figure.]

Ultimately I wanted to make these changes anyway, just not yet.

Pics will follow.

Here are updated pics of the tank without the cap. It has been sent to the 35g shallow display, though sooner then I wished. I re arranged a couple of acros and spread out some of the LR so the Hydno Grandis would be isolated. He slimed and ate almost half an acro.

post-62712-1324937520_thumb.jpg

The cap has been consigned to the 35g shallow. Still do not know what I want to do with this tank. It was a gift from my wife.[ Plus one in the excellent wife column.] I was going to make this all sps. Now I am thinking about doing alot of lps and a few softies. I don't know yet. The lps would be easier and less demanding and I could be happy with the sps in the 10g

post-62712-1324937629_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1324937652_thumb.jpg

This is the place cleared with three acros moved into place. The purple with green polyp frag, green and tan w/ green polyp [half eaten by the hydno] and a blue fuzz just coloring up.

This is not the same shot of the clown in the dome brain. every time there is a camera flash he swims into the brain. He thinks he is hiding.

post-62712-1324938237_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1324938268_thumb.jpg

post-62712-1324938692_thumb.jpg

How did I miss this tank????? It's beautiful!!!!!! I love the monti cap. Looks like you still have some left in there to grow into a centerpiece again. Love the brain too. Really, beautiful tank here!!!! :)

edit: something I've noticed....most people (myself included) put their open brains in the lower right corner of the tank :)

Thanks Gena.

The cap touched the wall and then grew up the back.The last time I trimmed the cap back was about a year ago and that was left behind so it was not attached to the main body anymore. After a year the main body grew out into the center piece that you saw. The 35g in the pics has about three other good size pieces of the same cap that I had broken off to let light get to other corals. I was using them to be starter corals in the new tank. I will prolly trade them or end up giving them away.

That's funny about the placement of the brain coral. Now that you mention it I see alot of front right corner brains. It is more then likely due to some genetic glich common to the pyschological profile of reef keepers.

This is my Blue brain. I do not know the specific type or name for it. I think it is prettier then the larger green and purple dome brain. This gets a very bright blue and a light purple band when it has been fed.

post-62712-1325023510_thumb.jpg

Thanks IBall.

Yes i need a better camera. this is the wife's video camera that takes stills. I cannot zoom in for macro or even focus for shots of individual corals.

Right now business is very bad and my kid's activities are soaking me. One in college and the young one races. I never thought that saving money for a camera would be a project but it is.

It is more then likely due to some genetic glich common to the pyschological profile of reef keepers.

:lol: probably!

So the cap grew to that size in a year's time? Awesome!

Archived