SaltCritters.com

14 Gallon Mobile Home

Unhandleable

The Grace of God and the Art of Improvisation

All of the moves from the 150 Gallon down to this Biocube have all been done within 3 weeks. Everyone is still alive truly by the grace of God, my persistence and the God given ability to improvise. I've woken up to tanks with cracks down the entire side (curse you aquapod!) and a few other fun things, besides a few corals shrinking a little everyone is just fine.

I love to learn, so feel free to share any knowledge, I won't take it personal I will just take it for what it is. I love to be able to see such amazing things in the comfort of our own homes.

Gods creation is truly amazing!

The Setup/Equipment

•BioCube 14 untouched/no mods

•Flow: Rio800

•Lighting: Aqua Illumination SOL Nano LED (Controller coming soon)

•Filterfloss, (chaeto coming soon)

•InTank Fish Saver

Biological Filtration

•20 Pounds Fiji Liverock

•20 Pounds Carib Sea Arag-Alive Sand

Livestock

•Mandarin Goby

Pair of Black Clowns

Corals

•GSP

•Blue Shrooms

•Purple Shrooms

•Purple Yuma

•Yellow Floridian Ricordea

•Mystery Zoa Colony 1 (Feel free to ID)

•Mystery Zoa Colony 2 (Feel free to ID)

•Torch or Frogspawn Frag (Feel free to ID)

CuC

•1 Scarlet Hermit

•1 Fire Red Shrimp

•5 Turbo Snails

So quick and brief history.

It all started with $200 bucks and a craigslist run.

IMG_0894.jpg

Then a coat of paint, hustling a few tanks, rock, sand, and live stock turned into.

IMG_4788.jpg

Becoming engaged, a bit of construction on the house

and a chance to get top dollar for my set up turned into.

84f0f88b.jpg

Figuring out everyone can stay alive in my rigged sump turned into

75d6a958.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron selling his retired tank locally turned into

110ecc8d.jpg

So now here's a little documentation and what everyone wants PICTURES to show and document the move.

Laying it down on the other side of the house so it won't be disturbed by the remodel.

2daf2dac.jpg

Sand and half way filled.

110ecc8d.jpg

Moving containers for all the corals and livestock.

187220a0.jpg

7a324293.jpg

All the water has been poured

1f49d445.jpg

Yellow Ricordea Purchased at "Strictly Fish"

aaf3cf9b.jpg

Trigger Pods for the Mandarin

(Poor Guy hasn't eaten in awhile.)

0a0c41ee.jpg

Finally get to use the AI Nano I purchased from "ccthoa"

7979ae52.jpg

First full tank picture

12/06/11

IMG_4985.jpg

Yellow Ricordea loving that AI Nano already

IMG_4981.jpg

GSP aswell

IMG_4982.jpg

Next Morning

IMG_4986.jpg

Everyone seems to be loving the mix of natural sunlight from the french doors and the Nano.

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

Mandarin and Fire Shrimp chilling after the move.

580eb8cb.jpg

Looks good. I recently saw a demo of the AI nano. I want to use it on my bc29. Have any complaints? Did you use the stand that the light comes with or rig something up? How high is it above the water?

I had to rig it up

6d1b031a.jpg

I'm kind of afraid that the adhesive from the tape may harm the water quality but we shall see. The stand is indeed a little flimsy and to my knowledge impossible to mount to a biocube without any sort of mod or rig. I however have no complaints with the light, it's amazing, and makes your corals POP so much. Sits a few inches over the top of the water, I'll measure when I get home. I'd guesstamate around 4-6 inches.

SouthFlorida_Tron

nice! glad to see you got the pump up and running, that was weird that it wouldnt start, anyways, hows the mandarin like those trigger pods? i have the oyster feast, phyto feast live, and mysis feast, maybe ill pick that one up too!

I got him when I bought that 110 gallon I have pictured, he's supposedly a year old. I just poured it in to seed the tank so lets see, if you're still using Chaeto as your fuge that should be creating enough pods for him. But I'm sure he's not complaining if you give him all that other stuff!

SouthFlorida_Tron
I got him when I bought that 110 gallon I have pictured, he's supposedly a year old. I just poured it in to seed the tank so lets see, if you're still using Chaeto as your fuge that should be creating enough pods for him. But I'm sure he's not complaining if you give him all that other stuff!

I get him tomorrow, hes an ORA trained mandarin, but we'll see....

I get him tomorrow, hes an ORA trained mandarin, but we'll see....

Sweet man I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures!

Thank you ma'am, I am extremely happy with the way the set up and the move came out.

That was pretty interesting ... happy that the move went smoothly and it worked out.

New pictures, water has gotten very clear so thought I'd give a final update for a while.

My fiance said she liked star fishes, so here is her star fish.

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_4998.jpg

Full Tank Shots

IMG_5002.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

I think that's good for now.

Looks great!

Thanks for sharing the play by play.

I just picked up a BC14 at a yard sale that needs a little work but it was only $30. The pump and moonlights work. Its missing the main lights and the cabling and switches were disconnected. Im looking at replacing with possibly a RapidLED Nano Kit as Id like to keep the hood on. Im also looking at getting a media basket and fish saver from Intank. Other than that Im lost and currently reading everyones posts on the forum to try and figure it out. I need to find a trustworthy LFS to pickup sand, rock, water, cleaning crew and filter stuff.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Efrain

surgicalsense
Thank you sir, I am extremely happy with the way the set up and the move came out.

Hahaha, I am a ma'am ;) ... either way.

How much did the Nano light run you? I am considering on going hoodless with my AIO.

OH I AM VERY VERY SORRY! I edited my post accordingly.

I paid $240 for this nano, and then I have another one which included a controller for $284, one thing I've learned in life and especially reefkeeping. DON'T PAY RETAIL.

But the light is AMAZING, more than worth it too me.

Hahaha, I am a ma'am ;) ... either way.

How much did the Nano light run you? I am considering on going hoodless with my AIO.

Great price on your set up! I have a "fish saver" from intank let me know if you're interested as I don't need it. You can always find an original hood on here for a decent amount if you want one working right away, or you could always go for the Rapid kit. Save your money and buy the best you can, to me having to constantly upgrade creates more headaches and costs you more $$$ in the long run.

As far as a LFS look for members around your area and ask for advice. I have yet to run into anyone in this hobby that's a real jerk, at LFS you find people that are some times rude, but especially here on the forums people usually look out for one another's best interests.

Finally try not to pay retail on anything, forums, craiglist, and ebay have worked me absolute WONDERS.

Looks great!

Thanks for sharing the play by play.

Im looking at replacing with possibly a RapidLED Nano Kit as Id like to keep the hood on. Im also looking at getting a media basket and fish saver from Intank. Other than that Im lost and currently reading everyones posts on the forum to try and figure it out. I need to find a trustworthy LFS to pickup sand, rock, water, cleaning crew and filter stuff.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Efrain

...Would love some more info on your Mandarin...

Thus far he looks more than happy and healthy, I seeded the tank with a bottle of trigger pods before I dropped him in there and he looks like he's loving life. This is also only a 12 gallon tank, seeing that your's is more than double I don't see why there would be any problems, even on live aquaria it says 30 gallon minimum so you should be fine.

Archived