Dimensions: 6' long, 8' wide, 6' 5" tall

23lm8o3.jpg

34g27oi.jpg

Equipment

- Harbor Freight 6' x 8' greenhouse
- Three, two-level grow shelves
- 2800CFM swamp cooler
- 1500w heater

I HAVE TOO MUCH MOSS asdfghjkl;ajslkdh skjkla.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so if you haven't read through my pineapple rooting process in my BioCube 29 HQI thread, here's a summary...

You twist the top off of any grocery store pineapple. Then you pull the leaves of the pineapple off starting at the bottom for about 1". After that, you plant them and wait for them to sprout roots!

After I twisted the top off of my first pineapple and pealed off the leaves, you can see the temporary roots, which will soak up water so it can sprout it's permanent root system.

svsx39.jpg

All potted up and ready to grow...

k04rd1.jpg

A few weeks later you can see that the leaves are browning and ready to fall off. Before this picture was taken, I pulled off some more of the bottom leaves and I pulled a few from the center. Why would I pull the leaves out? They aren't the permanent leaves being used by the plant. The pineapple top will sprout more leaves from the center as the rest of it's leaves fall off.

jzf8f7.jpg

At the time of the previous picture, the plant had started to sprout it's permanent root system. It's permanent roots are lengthy, numerous, thin and white, kinda like hair.

2m6srk6.jpg

This is... a reefing site... right?

We don't draw the line at freshwater aquariums? Or something that has to do with aquariums in general?

I'm gonna put a barrel of water or something for guppies. It will be used as a thermal object. I'll incorporate my love for fish into it! :)

Just to explain, a thermal object is something that warms up from the daytime sun and slowly radiates heat over night. A bucket of water painted black on the outside is a good example, because it heats up easily and will hold some heat to keep the greenhouse a degree or two warmer over night. :)

totally do the guppy idea :happy:

Yeah, just ran the idea by my parents, and they said it would be a great idea... You know, that way the guppies eat the mosquito larvae. ;)

But the barrel of water would be more effected with a lid over it... But guppies need light! Imma put some anacharis in there. :)

Yeah, just ran the idea by my parents, and they said it would be a great idea... You know, that way the guppies eat the mosquito larvae. ;)

But the barrel of water would be more effected with a lid over it... But guppies need light! Imma put some anacharis in there. :)

Looks awesome bro!

I love the guppy idea. That way you won't have to feed them as often!

Well.. I guess that counts.. :huh: lol.

I'll be looking to see if you actually follow through with this entire idea. Looks.. interesting. Good luck.

Well.. I guess that counts.. :huh: lol.

I'll be looking to see if you actually follow through with this entire idea. Looks.. interesting. Good luck.

Haha, I will follow through with the idea. I was going to get a $600 tablet for christmas, but I decided on the greenhouse instead. I can get it set up in the winter and measure heat loss and night to see if I need heating, and I can experiment with natural ways of heating (like an underground compost, or thermal objects) before next winter so I'm prepared for the cold! :)

but then you will like never see the guppies!

do you know how cold it would get at it's lowest in there, or have any idea?

Not gonna seal the barrel. It will probably be like a 50g thing over in the corner, or better yet, I could have one barrel in each corner!

It usually gets down to frosting temperatures, but it never freezes. It's not exactly Hawaii, but it's not Alaska either. The greenhouse will protect the plants inside from frost and all that other junk. Plus, it will keep the plants about 10F warmer. :)

what about like a little pond?

The greenhouse is only 6'x8', barely big enough for the plants I want. I think a pond would just be too tacky and messy if it's small. It's like creating a mud puddle. :P

My most recent three pineapple rootees. This gives me a total of four plants. :)

2mgqu69.jpg

So I decided to go hydroponic with this one I got today. This is just until it gets its roots in. I've seen MAJOR success with this method, so I thought it would give it a try. This pineapple is very special to me because it has the best temporary root system I have seen so far. Unlike the other three, it's roots were plump and hairy. Their temporary roots are supposed to be hairy, so this is a good thing. I used RO/DI to fill the vase it is in so that I don't burn the roots.

110g7xd.jpg

Here you can see the new leaf growth in my oldest pineapple. The area in which these are growing has a lot of rotting plant in it, which is breaking down into a gooey mess. I'm not sure if this plant will survive to shoot out new roots, but I'm hoping for the best!

cnqck.jpg

I moved the oldest one to another room today where it can get more light. I had no premium room with a lot of light left in the room with the others, so it's not sitting on my computer desk.

10qbatd.jpg

Extras

Pitcher Plants

(Just an example of the kind of plants I'm interested in. I'm not going to get these for sure, but these pictures are just to give you an idea of what I want...)

g89njk7u.jpg

west-australian-pitcher-plant-0270.jpg

pitcher-plant.jpg

Misc. Tropical Plants

Tillandsia.ionantha.jpg

Tillandsia%20argentea_jpg.jpg

Tillandsia%20bulbosa%20large.jpg

Banana Trees

2008-04-23_banana-podcast_1.jpg

Orchids

3015664869_21d9e8eda0.jpg

photographs:plant_photography%3a%6frchids:phragmipedium:phragmipedium_warszewiczianum4.jpg?w=300

Okay, well most of the plants I listed are over $100 and there's no way I'm gonna do that. I'm just listing options. Besides the banana plants, I may end up getting two or three extras to hang. I'm not going to buy any extras unless I'm absolutely in love with the plant I see and would like to marry it. :)

woitk.jpg

Okay, well there's a little sketch with the water barrels, but I think they take up too much room that could be used for pineapples or bananas... I had a better idea though! ;)

I could hang large, transparent salad bowls (like the ones from olive garden) and put guppies in those! I could put a lid over them to keep the heat in and stop the guppies from jumping out.

OMIGOSH! I could go hydroponic with whatever I'm hanging (orchids, pitcher plants, etc.) and put them in the bowls with the guppies! :o

Very cool!!!

Teehee, thanks. It shall be even cooler in person!... Well actually I hope it's warm. It needs to stay warm in the winter. :D

Cool dude!

Thanks! I am a very cool dude. ;)

Archived