Top Shelf Aquatics

Rob's 56Gal.

gupebreedr

Okay gang what am I forgetting here? I'm getting ready to set up a 56G tank. The measurements are 30" X 18" X 24". Had originally planned on setting up a 30G Deep Blue drilled tank but decided to use the 56G that I already had and use the money to upgrade my lighting to AI SOL Blues. Below is a list of what hardware I have so far.

Have

Tank and stand

AI SOL BLUE 2 units and controller

Sump, overflow and Pump

5G tank for ATO

Heater

Test kits

Skimmer BM NAC-3

JBJ ATO and pump

Power strips

PVC piping

Thermometer

Powerhead(s) 2 Koralias Evolution 750, 2 Koralias 1050

So there it is so far, what am I overlooking???? I thought I had this all worked out but can't help thinking that I've forgotten something.

Thanks, and stay tuned for the build.......

Rob

you are missing a lid for the tank so far...unless you don't mind losing a fish now and then..

you may also want to get a cable management tube thing to gather up all the cords and make it look less messy.

you are missing a lid for the tank so far...unless you don't mind losing a fish now and then..

you may also want to get a cable management tube thing to gather up all the cords and make it look less messy.

Thanks Newman. Forget to list the idea for a lid. It will be a cut out egg crate frame covered with netting. Should be fairly easy to construct. Need to find out where to obtain the netting??????

Have a boatload of cable tie fasteners to use.

If you dont go with the RKL, I swear I will permanently say, "I told you so..."

Pismo, I do believe you are trying to twist my arm. :unsure: LOL I would like to get the RKL and think it's a great idea but from all the reading and research I've been doing, they are a PITA to program due to the lack of included documentation. I know my patience level and if after two attempts to program it and it does not work, I'd wind up throwing in the trash. :angry:

Do you have salt mixing equipment?

Also, are you still looking at the Mu 100?

Mixing equipment I have as a I have a few other SW tanks.

Yes I'm still thinking I might get the MU100 or maybe the MU 135. Open for other suggestions however.....

Woo hoo, getting closer and closer to a set up, my Bubble Magus Skimmer arrived today. This thing is huge, may have to alter my sump a bit or get a larger one.

I still keep thinking I'm forgetting something. :o Hoping to pick up the tank and stand sometime early next week. Can you tell I'm starting to get a wee bit excited????????? :happydance:

I think youre pretty much done with the setup. if you plan on keeping clams and sps you may want to pick up some dosing stuff, but you wont get to use it at the start anyway so you can always get it later.

just some sand, live rock, and SW left lol.

I'm sure you just left it off the list, but thermometer(s), sand and are you going to get an RODI unit?

I made a similar list checked it a hundred times and still forgot sand, lol

Woo hoo, getting closer and closer to a set up, my Bubble Magus Skimmer arrived today. This thing is huge, may have to alter my sump a bit or get a larger one.

I still keep thinking I'm forgetting something. :o Hoping to pick up the tank and stand sometime early next week. Can you tell I'm starting to get a wee bit excited????????? :happydance:

I love starting new tanks.

Btw - is that you in yer avatar?

I love starting new tanks.

Btw - is that you in yer avatar?

Thanks ya'll. Must remember to get a thermometer. See, it's the little things you forget. LOL

Yes, that would be me and my lil' sweetheart, Sheeba. I'z an ugly cuss, huh!!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

:happydance:

Doin' the happy dance!!!!

:happydance:

My 2 AI Blue SOL's arrived today and I'm having fun trying to get it programmed. Really not all that difficult really, just time consuming. These bad boys are bright and the thunderstorm feature is awesome.

I need to decide how I'm going to mount them, be it from brackets or suspended from the ceiling???? As soon as they are are mounted I will start the official build.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol. I just replied to your thread about the Deep Blue. Good for you on the SOLs! Well I gues I'll let you all know how the 30 frag tank works out.

How does the tank look with one sol over the brace? I am going to be doing the same tank and trying to decide if I want two Nano's or one Sol.

Thanks Newman. Forget to list the idea for a lid. It will be a cut out egg crate frame covered with netting. Should be fairly easy to construct. Need to find out where to obtain the netting??????

Have a boatload of cable tie fasteners to use.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you need. Here's a link for some clear netting. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalo...amp;x=0&y=0

I got it and I love it. No more carpet surfers! You should bee able to buy the framing materials at HD or lowe's.

Woo hoo, it's salty at last. Finished the leak test on all my plumbing and got this big boy "salt wet" today. So far it only has 50lbs of live sand and 8 lbs of live rock. Will most likely add 20 more lbs of LS, the bed is a bit shallow.

DSCN0826.jpg

2 Koralia 750's will be added tomorrow as well as some additional LR. Gotta love the AI SOL Blues, THEY ARE BRIGHT!!!!!!!!

Looks great man!

Thanks Joel,

With the holidays, it took a bit longer to get it up and running then I had hoped. Now for the fun stuff like diatom blooms oh yea!!!!! :o

• 4 weeks later...

So this big boy has been set up for just about a month now and I'm happy to report that it hardly had much of a cycle. The large piece of LR on the left side is not mine, I'm holding it for a friend that is currently setting up a tank for his church. Once it's gone I will finish or should I say really start my aquascaping. He's a few pictures I snapped a few moments ago.

FTS

DSCN0846.jpg

Two of my Chromies and my Colt Coral.

DSCN0841.jpg

My two Firefish and no I didn't name them. LOL

DSCN0844.jpg

And another shot of my Firefish. They are not the least bit shy.

DSCN0842.jpg

And yet another shot of my Firefish showing off for the camera.

DSCN0838.jpg

My Dragons Breath Macro.

DSCN0839.jpg

One of my Hermies, I really like his shell.

DSCN0843.jpg

Another one of my large Hermies, his shell is a bit over 2 inches. Believe it or not that rock he's on was completely covered with GHA yesterday. I woke up this morning and found only a few small patches of it left.

DSCN0840.jpg

Stay tuned for future updates.

• 4 weeks later...

Some exciting events and additions taking place in the "Big Boy", stay tuned for some new pic's once everything settles in. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived