Top Shelf Aquatics

120 Gallon Alaskan Adventure

alaskan84

Hello Everybody, Ive had this tank running for quite a few months now and I figured I better start sharing it with the community :P

120 gallon RR AGA tank with 20 gallon acrylic sump. I have a pretty decent sized protein skimmer and two eheim heaters inthe sump.

Livestock includes:

3-Blue Reef Chromis from Live Aquaria ( Not DD )

1-6 Line Wrasse From Live Aquaria Divers Den

1-Powder Blue Tang From Live Aquaria ( Not DD )

2-Sexy Shrimp From Live Aquaria ( Not DD )

2-Rock Flower Anemones From Coral Morphologic

Cleanup Crew from John

Various larger orange leg hermits from Live Aquaria

Various blue leg hermits from Live Aquaria

1-Bristle starfish

2-Sally Lightfoot crabs

Various Emerald Crabs

*RIP** 1-Arrow Crab **RIP*

2-Florida Fighting Conchs

apparently 1-invasive asian shore crab in my sump as well :)

Various amounts of Kenya Tree, montipora, gonipiora, alvepora, acropora, pollicipora, frogspawn, blastos, zoas, mushrooms, rics and im sure others

1-Orange Plate coral

1-Green Plate coral

1-Neon Green Paleau leather

1- Walking Dendro

Im not sure on the external return pump brand, but ill be looking to replace that soon.The tank is predrilled, two returns and two outputs. The guy I bought it from had it rigged with two venturi fittings so i utilized those for increased flow.

2- MP40's (1 down for repair)

2- AI Sol Blue's

1- Reef Keeper Elite

1- APC Bigass backup unit

and i'll let the pictures say the rest, welcoming any comments

FTS 11/12/2011

FTS120.jpg

Close120FTS.jpg

Right Side

Rightside120.jpg

Powder Blue Tang

PBT3.jpg

PBT4.jpg

PBT2.jpg

PBT1.jpg

Six Line Wrasse ( so much more social since the addition of the chromis )

6line.jpg

Blue Reef Chromis ( yeah these guys are quicker and hard to photograph, so 1 picture for all 3 :) )

BRC1.jpg

Sexy Shrimp with Rock Flower anemone

SS120.jpg

Zoas

zoas.jpg

more pics to come

Neon Green shrooms from Extreme Corals

shrooms1.jpg

Neon Orange Plate Coral from Extreme Corals

plate1.jpg

Green Tree Coral

frag8.jpg

Xmen Shroom and ? Zoanthid from Pacific East Aquaculture

frag7.jpg

Red Gonipora from Pacific East Aquaculture

frag6.jpg

Acropora frag originally from Live Aquaria

frag5.jpg

Elkhorn Frag from Pacific East Aquaculture

frag4.jpg

I think its a Montipora...originally from Live Aquaria

frag3.jpg

Green Pollicipora originally from Live Aquaria

FRAG2.jpg

Monti? from Pacific East Aquaculture

frag1.jpg

Alvepora? Originally from Extreme Corals

flower2.jpg

Neon Green/Yellow Gonipora? From Exreme Corals

flower.jpg

Purple/Green Tree Coral from Extreme Corals

bluetree.jpg

And thats a new thread/update!

I love your powder blue tang. The colors are so crisp!

Thanks Iball804, I was really nervous ordering him, since they are notoriously hard to keep/prone to diseases. To top it off he came from Live Aquaria ( sub $30.00 compared to DD ). Took him about 3 days to start grazing off the rocks(3 months @ home now). He is a total pig, belly bulged almost all the time. He is continusly grazing and I try to keep algae on a clip that he also grazes off of. He also eats cyclopeez and some TDO Othamine but not as vigorusly.

I do have some rics that are pretty bleached, but I think thats about all that struggling. Everything was added slowly over time incase anyones looking at pics and wondering :D

Nice livestock. :)

Thanks Kazooie!

**Just added a new BRS dual reactor this morning. Powering it off a MJ900 seems to be tumbling the GFO gently as instructed. This is my first time messing with a reactor before, hope it works well!**

saltwatercoral

OMG, Finaly another 120 with some AI's!!! I was hopeing to see one setup this way! I cant wait till I get my 120 up and running here shortly! Your tank looks Crazy! Did a very nice job! Join the Aqua Illuminations Club! Just post somthin about your tank with some pics and wala! Ill add you to the member list when I see your post!

Def following this one!!!

OMG, Finaly another 120 with some AI's!!! I was hopeing to see one setup this way! I cant wait till I get my 120 up and running here shortly! Your tank looks Crazy! Did a very nice job! Join the Aqua Illuminations Club! Just post somthin about your tank with some pics and wala! Ill add you to the member list when I see your post!

Def following this one!!!

Thanks SaltwaterCoral, i'll join the AI club shortly here. The two AI's that I have suite my tank pretty well I think. Its definitly a major improvement over the 2x250W MH that I was running when I got the tank originally.

Awesome tank ? What's it like to live in Alaska ? Have you seen the boats from the deadliest catch ?

well i think i have an awesome tank

sigh, its wonderful to live in alaska....im looking out my window @ work right now, we already got about 2 inches of snow this morning, probably another 2-3 by this afternoon. Yes I've seen the DC boats. Quite a few of them are based out of Kodiak, or at least come into town for repairs/supplies often.

saltwatercoral
well i think i have an awesome tank

sigh, its wonderful to live in alaska....im looking out my window @ work right now, we already got about 2 inches of snow this morning, probably another 2-3 by this afternoon. Yes I've seen the DC boats. Quite a few of them are based out of Kodiak, or at least come into town for repairs/supplies often.

Yes the tank is awesome!

And having that much snow already... No thanks, But seeing the DC boats is a nice perk!

Sounds amazing. I have seen a lot of pictures from people's trips to alaska and I've always wanted to go. Maybe some day. How do you like the ai fixtures ?

Sounds amazing. I have seen a lot of pictures from people's trips to alaska and I've always wanted to go. Maybe some day. How do you like the ai fixtures ?

I love my AI's! frankly couldnt be happier with them....unless they had the built in wireless modules like I think the phoenix's do? I really havent had a ton of time to play around with different color combos yet...I think im still running about 70% power during the peak of the day 12:-1:00 so I probably have room to increase the output a bit. I do wish I would have gone with some kind of mounting rail, as opposed to hanging them from the ceiling as they currently are. They are solid so I dont have to worry about knocking them into the tank, but if I bump the lights its a pain to get them straight and level again. These were an upgrade to the 2x250W Metal Halid that I had and I can actually say I like the AI coloring better, plus the lower wattage and virtually no heat makes it a win win win.

I just realized I dont have a sump picture here......ill get one up later today B)

saltwatercoral
I love my AI's! frankly couldnt be happier with them....unless they had the built in wireless modules like I think the phoenix's do? I really havent had a ton of time to play around with different color combos yet...I think im still running about 70% power during the peak of the day 12:-1:00 so I probably have room to increase the output a bit. I do wish I would have gone with some kind of mounting rail, as opposed to hanging them from the ceiling as they currently are. They are solid so I dont have to worry about knocking them into the tank, but if I bump the lights its a pain to get them straight and level again. These were an upgrade to the 2x250W Metal Halid that I had and I can actually say I like the AI coloring better, plus the lower wattage and virtually no heat makes it a win win win.

I just realized I dont have a sump picture here......ill get one up later today B)

You can get the wireless moduals for them! Look on AI's site for the info!

You can get the wireless moduals for them! Look on AI's site for the info!

I read that you could get the wireless modules for them....and frankly I dont think I really even have a need for them, but if I could ask for something that my sol's dont have, It would be the built in wifi module :)

so i just updated an older android phone i had lying around and decided to use it as a webcam for my tank! albeit the phone is old enough that the camera is garbage, but its enough for me to make sure my tank is still running/not spilling over. Plus I could leave my sump doors open and actually see the skimmer level if need be. If anyone wants to check out a pretty grainy, pretty laggy live video feed check below!

Live Android Video Feed

link should bring up an android webcam server, with various streaming options. I usually just use the java browser plugin link and it works fine.

saltwatercoral
so i just updated an older android phone i had lying around and decided to use it as a webcam for my tank! albeit the phone is old enough that the camera is garbage, but its enough for me to make sure my tank is still running/not spilling over. Plus I could leave my sump doors open and actually see the skimmer level if need be. If anyone wants to check out a pretty grainy, pretty laggy live video feed check below!

Live Android Video Feed

link should bring up an android webcam server, with various streaming options. I usually just use the java browser plugin link and it works fine.

LOL, It looks good grainy and all! It refreshes like every 6 seconds for me, LOL.

Still waiting on you to join the Aqua Illuminations Club :mellow:

LOL, It looks good grainy and all! It refreshes like every 6 seconds for me, LOL.

Still waiting on you to join the Aqua Illuminations Club :mellow:

Thanks Saltwater! yeah the cam is like less than a megapixel so its pretty subpar, I also have the quality turned WAY up, which causes it to get even laggier. I can smooth the playback out by lowering the size/quality but then it would be totally useless. I'll be retiring my dell streak here soon, so then i can have much better cam quality. Sorry about the AI club, pretty busy with work so itll have to wait until this weekend

saltwatercoral
Thanks Saltwater! yeah the cam is like less than a megapixel so its pretty subpar, I also have the quality turned WAY up, which causes it to get even laggier. I can smooth the playback out by lowering the size/quality but then it would be totally useless. I'll be retiring my dell streak here soon, so then i can have much better cam quality. Sorry about the AI club, pretty busy with work so itll have to wait until this weekend

No prob, just good to see your gona join! I look for u this weekend then!

we already got about 2 inches of snow this morning, probably another 2-3 by this afternoon.

You only have 2 inches?!? :o We have 1' here, since like a week ago! :P

You only have 2 inches?!? :o We have 1' here, since like a week ago! :P

we never get anything close to what the mainland gets...they called for an additional 2 inches last night, but nothing fell....supposebly another 2 inches today but the the forecast is worse that playing craps. I was working on my network last night and forgot to plug my router back in, so the super grainy video feed will be down for most of today :P

Very very nice setup!

Thanks Unhandleable! I'm back at work right now, but im gonna try to do a little update at least with sump pictures later this evening.

saltwatercoral
Thanks Unhandleable! I'm back at work right now, but im gonna try to do a little update at least with sump pictures later this evening.

Def watching for this!

Archived