ReefCleaners.org

My 5.5 PicO Manta Ray 12 build

summitwynds

After seeing so many beautiful nanos and picos here, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at one. For the sake of having everything in one room with my 75 rimless, it made sense to set the Pico up there. At first I wanted to put it in one of the cubes of my tall Ikea system, but Chris from PicO said it would be really tough to maintain with only 3" clearance. So, I purchased another small Ikea system (the bottom left one) and raised the top left one up (it was about 8" lower on the wall). This will give me clearance to hang a light as well as room to work on the pico.

I was trying to keep this on a low budget... funny how things happen!

- Pico Manta Ray 12 - 5.5 gallons - 12 x 12 x 9 with Hydor pump - ORDERED 11/9/11

- Hydor 50w heater

- Aqua Illumination Nano - No Controller - once they have the wireless module I hope to add this as well as to the 2 Sol units over my 75 with the black box controller. Hoping clouds and thunderstorms can sync over both tanks.

I'll wait and see how the flow is and whether to add something for more flow. I will seed the sand with live sand from my 75, as well as live rock and water from this tank too.

Right now Im thinking Zoas and Ricordeas, although I should be able to do about anything with that light. As far as livestock, Im thinking a boxer crab or two. No fish or maybe a flaming prawn goby at most.

The cardboard box sitting on the shelving represents the Manta Ray PicO (almost the same size, box is about 1/2" short on both height and width).

Here's how it looks now. It will be a couple weeks before the tank is in and I will take some photos then. I've always had tanks (mostly freshwater) and have never posted a build of my tanks before. photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

forget the tank, is that a sweet ass hammock i see?

Yes, it is. Nice place to sit, read a book, or better yet.... watch the tank. Its our guest room and that's the room where all our souvenirs from the Caribbean go.

saltwatercoral

This is a nice tank setup! The house looks nice as well! Cant wait to the see both tanks with the Aqua Illumination lights in them as well.

This is a nice tank setup! The house looks nice as well! Cant wait to the see both tanks with the Aqua Illumination lights in them as well.

Thanks! I have fun trying to hide all my equipment. Did the same with my freshwater too.

photo2a.jpg

photo3a.jpg

Right on MacGyver! Great job! O, and by the way... Welcome to the Aqua Illuminations Club!

Thanks... And here is my 60 (almost cube) that has AI Sol Whites (1 unit).

The filter, UV, powerstrip, timers are in the barrel to the right of the tank. The CO2 system is under that in a leather thing, and the light controller, air pump is in a fake rock to the left top of the tank. Its definitely a conversation piece when people visit. I really need to do some pruning.

fresh2.jpg

It's gonna look great! I love seeing what people do with Ikea furniture, lol.

Gotta love Ikea!

Here is my fts -- LOL --- Got the light, heater - All ready to go. Just need the tank.

photo4.jpg

Darn! Just checked the UPS tracking # and it looks like my PicO spent the weekend at the UPS store in East Peoria IL and didn't make it out.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way a 75g is WAAAY to small for any tang besides a kole and i see you have a yellow and blue tang there.

Tang police GTFO!

Nice setups btw.

I'm seriously considering this tank myself. What are your thoughts on it so far? Pros? Cons?

Pros:

very well built

very clean looking (rimless, everything in the back, great silicon work)

its small (guess thats why they call it a Pico)

Great customer service (pump didn't work, got a refund immediately)

Great packaging

Cons:

Im having a hard time thinking of any

Maybe price, but you really get what you pay for, so it really isn't a con.

Its small, but thats the whole idea. A tiny piece of the reef. So again, not really a con.

I will try to get a couple more pictures today

Tang police GTFO!

Nice setups btw.

Thank you!

I love the whole thing!..Makes me want to get a fruity rum drink with an umbrella in it.

Thats the idea! Its our guest room and I have souvenirs, and photos from our Caribbean trips (Im a home based travel agent). Bring the rum drinks and you are welcome to stay over.

Very nice setup! Love how everything is placed and hidden :)

How's the flow so far? I'm considering getting one of these. Also, what (if anything) did you put in the "back" chambers?

looks amazing. I love the room and the whole set up. I think is awesome that you hung a AI nano over the tank. Top notch work here

Very nice setup! Love how everything is placed and hidden :)

How's the flow so far? I'm considering getting one of these. Also, what (if anything) did you put in the "back" chambers?

Thank you! I like the hidden look too. ;)

I changed the pump to a Hydor Pico 300 (300gph)-- much better flow. Ive only got zoas in there so it seems perfect for them. I was hoping to not have to put a powerhead or anything else in. Zoas seem happy.

looks amazing. I love the room and the whole set up. I think is awesome that you hung a AI nano over the tank. Top notch work here

Thank you! I don't have it on a controller which is a pain. I love the controller on the 2 AI Sols on my 75g. I am REALLY looking forward to the wireless thing they are coming out with. My goal is to have the 3 lights (2 AI Sols AND the Nano) all run "together". I just think sunrises, sunsets, clouds and lightning storms all coinciding on the 2 tanks at the same time will be cool.

Archived