Pod Your Reef

{insert-user}+{insert-tank} = topic_title

siwelk

~*Welcome*~

My original post has been relegated to #2 in order to make room for FTS, new additions, and indexes. The equipment, methodology, and livestock in the following post are up-to-date and represent the tank's most current state of affairs. Thank you for looking and enjoy! WARNING: Slow build ahead, please use patience.

FTS

DSC01803.jpg?t=1341683907

H20 QA

splatter_rev.jpg?t=1326860615

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived OP

As is typical with a hobby that CAN and WILL be affected by life-changing events akin to moving, marriage, and children; I'm lucky enough to have only succumbed to the least expensive. Moving. Without too much inundation...{insert archetypal story about leaving/getting back into hobby}...What does this ultimately mean? A steady living arrangement, mo' money fo' fish, and 0 debates on tank placement, expenses, or how much time I spend glued to NR. Sounds like a right and proper way to re-enter the reefkeeping hobby! ;)

Unfortunately, after leaving NR just over 2 years ago I was laid off from my job, effectively ending my Reef Theatre build. Luckily, eighteen months of relocating, interviewing, and pure chance have given me a new home, a new career, and a new itch for a return to being the

as it were. :D

First things, first:

S
-- PurpleUp

H
-- FateX9

O
-- herranton

U
-- HecticDialectics

T
-- StevieT

O
-- pattykat99

U
-- The Propagator

T
-- justin81

!!
-- opaquelace

Edit: RayWhisperer should be mummified due to his Pharaohcity.

Big thanks to these members for various reasons, some of whom I see are still active. I've learned from you, laughed at you, and generally enjoyed the dialog exchange generated by such a diverse group of personalities (been here off and on for nearly 8 years). I know I've left a few out...i.e. supreme_spork.

<brass tacks>

Here's what I'm looking at:

• KIT
    ~35g rimless 'low-iron' tank (TBD)
1x Ecotech Marine Radion XR30w
1x Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10wES
1x Tunze 9002
1x DA Reefkeeper Lite w/ pH & ATO
2x Loc-line return nozzles

TANK CONTENDERS
Mr. Aqua - quality control issues ($)
Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) - front-runner ($$)
ADA/Do!Aqua - larger dims, unsure atm ($$$)
Glass Cages - for reference only
Oceans Apart (local) - CAD Lights dealer ($$$$)

METHOD
10-20g sump
Calfo & Bean Animal overflow
Herbie-style overflow

As for the sketchup...(I'm a n00b) :unsure:

th_concept_2.png|th_concept_6.png|th_concept_7.png|th_concept_4.png

th_concept_5.png

</brass tacks>

Anything I've omitted is still up for consideration. I plan on doing a high-quality, long-term build this time around. I'm trying to keep a sleek and modern look, as I would like this to become a peninsula centerpiece. Bare-bottom and a minimalist scape are likely as well. Thinking maybe 2 rock islands on a diagonal plane.

I welcome your comments, criticism, and correspondence.

Cheers

:wizard:

Sounds like a sweet plan.

IMO since you're going with the top of the line everything else, why not just go ADA?

Thanks.

Two reasons:

1. It's expected (status quo)

2. ADA's 75-P is almost 5 inches longer.

I'm REALLY trying to stay within the Radion's purported 24" square coverage.

I'm still contemplating ADA/Do!Aqua, but afraid those dimensions might affect my choice of fixture.

Good point. I really don't think you're going to go wrong with any of those options. It's going to look sick. B)

Right on, hoping you stay tuned for the progression.

Nice avatar btw. If I kept a shark I'd totally have to name it

(nsfw) now.

:haha:

IMO the radion can handle the extra room on the ADA

Go all out (like you're doing already) and go ADA!

Word. I'm liking the enthusiasm.

I'm staying tuned for StevieT's review on the unit.

Hopefully he'll have wondrous things to speak of.

It will probably be full of bias and marketing as I would sell them if there was demand.

lol

hoping they ship that bad boy soon!

It was that catchy topic title that caught my ears

Who'd of thought nonsensical thread titles and plunging necklines would grab your attention.

:P

I could go into a huge tirade about banning you for not giving us mods, or the site admin a shoutout. However, being a calm, and reasonable person, I shall refrain.....

A word of advice you may choose to heed. Stay as far away from any tank made by Glass Cages, Twin Oak, or whatever other name he's going by these days, as humanly possible. I'd go into a detailed description of my folly in purchasing on of those. However, I'd rather not waste the bandwidth. Suffice it to say, it cost me.... To the tune of about $10,000.

I could go into a huge tirade about banning you for not giving us mods, or the site admin a shoutout. However, being a calm, and reasonable person, I shall refrain.....

A word of advice you may choose to heed. Stay as far away from any tank made by Glass Cages, Twin Oak, or whatever other name he's going by these days, as humanly possible. I'd go into a detailed description of my folly in purchasing on of those. However, I'd rather not waste the bandwidth. Suffice it to say, it cost me.... To the tune of about $10,000.

OK, seriously...I ALMOST put you in there Ray, for realz.

Then I remembered my place as a peon lol :bowdown:

I hear you on GC. I just had it in there as a reference, although I've heard some horror stories.

I remember following you years back, you always had something valuable to add to the mix.

concept_5.png

lol fantastic

glad to see youre back into the hobby!

Thanks! I'm glad to be back.

Thank YOU for joining NR one day before my birthday.

B)

Yep. I'll retire from here at 50 with a fat pension. Still have a few good years left in me for a part time gig selling used inTank media baskets.

*In best used care salesman outfit*

Kat, honey, sweety. Why would you wanna fork over all that cash for new? Look at this baby I just picked up last week. Low miles, clean, one owner. I'll let you walk out of here with it for $19.95. Just to sweeten the deal, I'll throw in a 30 warranty, no charge.

Archived