Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Imported From Detroit

scottlc34

Hello all this is the thread for my 20L.

FTS (2/8/12)

f86e7228.jpg

Equipment

-20L old tank waiting to be upgraded

-25 lbs sugar sand

-9 lbs live rock from LFS

-Hang on refugium

-Vortech MP10es

-Reef Octopus Bh-100 (pin wheel)

-Fluval 100W

-2x Ecoxotic 20k par38 bulbs

-1x RapidLED par 38 bulb

Clean Up Crew

-tiger snail

-4 hermits

-6 narssarius

-random other snails and star fish

Live stock

-Blue Green Chormis

-blue porcelain crab

-Maxima Clam

-unknown Zoa's (please help identify)

-Unknown acro's (please help identify)

-Green pocillopora

-more unknown acros

-green chalace

-more unknown zoa colonies

-neon pink palys

-neon green acans

-orange ric

-grape cap

-rainbow monti

-lobo

-another clam don't know which kind

Maintenance

- ~5 gallon weekly/biweekly water change

- Feed arctic pods/mysis/osterfeast randomly

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:welcome: to Nano Reef!

Those bio balls are interesting, what are they made of?

Like ceramic or something. They are supposed to have a lot more surface area then normal bio balls.

I'm getting a film on the top of my water in my tank, perhaps from not enough water movement? Any ideas. Even though I have my return pump on the surface.

Just tested my water everything is Zero's so i decided to get a clean up crew and a fish. I got 3 blue hermits, 3 nassarius, 3 astrea, 1 of those longer snails I can't remember the name and this more expensive snail I think it was like a tiger snail or something. The fish is a bangii cardinal, the one I've been waiting for so long. I think I will add 3 more fish total, royal gramma, south sea devil dansel, and some goby/blenny

It might be a little soon for fish but that is just my opinion. My tank was running for almost two months before I put fish in. Most people will wait a month or so. But if it works out then it is all good. Sometimes you never know. :)

The best way would be to remove it manually but nassarius snails and hermits and conchs and some fish like a lawnmower blenny will as well.

You could also blow it around and let it get trapped in your mechanical filtration.

• 2 weeks later...

Just added two new fish a royal gramma and a blue devil damsel (female). the blue devil damsel seems very happy swimming all over the tank and the royal gramma has staked out its territory and already is defending it after about 3 hours in the tank for both.

This might be it for the fish although I might add a yellow watchman goby. Corals will be next though.

• 3 weeks later...

Got rid of the blue devil, he was pissing me off moving all the sand around and making the gramma hide all day. So I picked up a blue green chromis. He's kinda bigger then I liked and not as blue as I wished but hopefully he will color up. Also picked up a unknown blue/greenish acro frag for cheap. Just to see if it would live for fun.

Also added an autotop off from autotopoff.com and picked up a rapid LED par38 bulb but its not as blue as my ecoxotics so if anyone has a 20k eco and wants to trade for a rapid 20k let me know. Also hopefully i'll be getting a better protein skimmer for christmas then just my airstone one.

Well the royal gramma died today not sure why but hes been hanging out in a rock for the past 2 days and not coming out to eat. I flashed a light in there and he was still alive but when i came back tonight he was a goner. Gonna try and take him back to the fish store and see whats up. Acro and the orther sps are doing fine though along with the cardinal and chromis

Yeah I have to sps's a acro and some unknown one that my friend was killing in his tank so we moved it to mine. I also have oyster feast to feed

The fishies

IMAG0250.jpg

unknown sps that is still recovering from my friends job of trying to kill it, slowly regaining color

IMAG0251.jpg

Zoa garden with the clam in the back

IMAG0254.jpg

The Maxima with the sps and zoas on the sides

IMAG0255.jpg

The acro its kinda brown blueish green hoping it colors up more

IMAG0256.jpg

I'm kinda worried on this hole "gapping" issue with clams and I heard maxima's are the most light intensive ones to keep. Can anyone say from my previous picture if the clam is gapping? Also he seems to constantly get sand on his mantle what should I do about this? He already is attached in the sand so I can't really move him.

Hung my third par 38 bulb so i have to ecoxotic's and one rapid led bulb also lowered them about 4 inches or so. I'll try and post a picture of it soon.

Well I was studying today and my tank was crystal clear then I ate some lunch and came back and it was extremely cloudy. I don't know what happened but I think it was from my macro algae because almost all of it died. I guess I have to keep the fuge light on 24/7. So I did roughly 7-8 gallon water change and put hang on filter with floss in it. Corals and fish seem fine for now.

Archived