inTank Media Baskets

TUO 7.5g Mr. Aqua Cube

TheUnfocusedOne

TheUnfocusedOne

Current Equipment List:

• 7.5g Mr. Aqua Cube, Low Iron Glass
  • Aquaclear 20 with inTank media basket. Contained filter floss and purigen
  • Aquaclear 50. Modded into a refugium containing a chaeto, a light and a temperature probe
  • RKL
  • Some random heater, soon to be replaced
  • Par30 Bulb on a gooseneck

Current Livestock:

• 1 Frag of zoas (Radioactive dragon eyes and gorrila nips)
  • 2 Astrae snails
  • 3 Red legged hermit crabs
  • 1 Cerith snail
  • 2 Nass snails
  • 1 Porcelain Crab

Current FTS:

IMG_0187.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheUnfocusedOne

Alrighty, tank has been sprayed and is currently drying. I little streaky, but I really don't care. So long as you can't see through the glass I'm happy!

Searching for a stand today as well. Posting pics later hopefully!

TheUnfocusedOne

So I think I'm going to go with a biocube stand. It fits all my criteria, and has that nice little door and shelf inside. I might need to do a bit of drilling in the back so I can connect all the timers and power sources and whatnot. I'm either going to be putting the order in through my LFS or buying one off line; which ever is cheapest. I'm gonna start mixing and heating saltwater and hopefully get this things filled pretty soon! It's exciting times.

Pictures of the setup tank coming soon I hope. :happy:

TheUnfocusedOne

Everyone need to calm down, this thread is getting to much attention. Other's might get jealous....

Today is the day I pick up a stand. I'm going with a BC14 stand from my LFS. That means the tank will hopefully on the stand tonight! Hell, it might even have some sand and rock in it. I feel like that's doubtful though, it's going in the living room where my gf, our female roomate and her friend will be watching ####ty chick flicks -_- ...

I'm getting excited about this project!

I'm starting to back out of the mantis idea, and I might opt for a peacefull little single goby tank with inverts. I was thinking some sort of clown goby, but I'll have plenty of time to plan that while the tank is cycling.

I'll be able to completely focus on this tank after the 12th of next month. Been studyin for Chem GREs (woo!). Maybe by then I'll be able to drum up some followers.

Tonights chemistry topic: Steady state approximations! And of course orgo on top of that.

More updates to come!

TheUnfocusedOne

Stand purchased and built last night! I need to find a new spot for it since the spot I had originally wanted to put it is on a huge slant. The floor at the apt is really "wavy".

Pics to come tonight! Probs will have sand and rock and maybe even a lil water in it come this evening!

• 2 weeks later...
TheUnfocusedOne

mail-3.jpg

mail-2.jpg

Well, here it is. Don't worry, the heater is only temp until get buy some better stuff. The tank is cycling at the moment! I'll keep everyone posted on when I buy some nicer stuff for it!

I'll probs put in an order for a light soon, but I might wait till black Friday for a sale.

TheUnfocusedOne

So the rock that I had added to the tank had been sitting in a bucket with a pump for a few months. I'm not sure how much bacteria they've retained, so I decided to toss a wee bit of food into the tank last night to check. I'll be stopping by my LFS on the way home today and picking up a few test kits.

The water is clear and the tank is looking nice. I'm getting really excited!

So the question atm is what to add first. Coral, inverts or a fish?

I know all about how you want to add the highest bioload first to stablize and what not, but I know I'll be fine. I'll be doing pretty regular water changes, so this shouldn't a problem. Plus I don't plan on adding any sensitive corals for a little bit.

Thoughts?

TheUnfocusedOne

Well as of yesterday night, my nitrates were reading >50ppm, which means my cycle is in full swing! Hopefully I'll be seeing some algae growing sometime soon. I'll be picking up 1-2 hermits and astrae and a pair of nass snails to start off the cleaning process. I'm hoping to have most of my cleaning done by nano-cleaners, so I won't be adding many of the big guys yet. Things are progressing nicely though!

TheUnfocusedOne

I'll be buying a frag pack from somewhere soon I hope. Mr. Coral has that nice deal on a free clam with a certain priced order, so I might jump on that. I've kept clams in a similar sized tank, so I'm not worried about it.

Lots of big buys to come! I'm gonna get a goby before I get corals, so hopefully I have something moving about within the next two weeks!

TheUnfocusedOne

Don't I know.

I'm loosing the popularity contest, as always... -_-

There might be a little bit of diatoms growning on my sand this morning. Then again, it was really early. Safty training at 7am should be illegal... I really need an ATO for this tank too, suggestions welcome!

TheUnfocusedOne

Too expensive.

We'll, yesterday was a costly day. I'll be getting some stuff from inTank soon and I also purchased a used RKL! Hopefully the RKL will be in good condition an I won't get screwed!

No algae growing in the tank yet, but I'm still hopefull!

Chem GREs are this saturday, so I'll finally have free time again to work on this stuff soon. I'll post pics of the new stuff once it comes it. Woot!

TheUnfocusedOne

My new (used) RKL came in the mail yesterday. I spent part of the morning setting it up, and after some fumbling I finally have it working exactly as I like it. It's really cool and I'm really happy with my buy. I'll post some pic up when I get a minute.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount this thing on a BC stand? I can't be the only one whose had that stand and has needed to mount it.

Also, my rock has algae growing on it! Things are really starting to progress nicely. New pictures to come soon me thinks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived